Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Gator352
  • 1 Post By GiantJay
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Display using most of battery

How is it possible for the display to be using a good portion of the battery when power save mode is enabled and display is locked? With the display using most of the battery, I can only get about 4 hours of use before the battery has to be charged.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Default Re: Display using most of battery

Because the display not only shows everything there's a digitizer that's actively working in tandum with the screen and depending on the brightness of the panel the can effect it as well

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have power save enabled. Auto brightness is selected. The screen times out after 30 seconds.

I will start up Pandora and then lock the phone. I'll only unlock the phone and use the display if I need to search something on the internet or if I need to turn the phone off.

It looks like I'm now going to have to carry around an extra battery to get through the day, just like I had to eventually do when I had the Samsung Epic.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I started with a full charge and got 4.5 hours out of the battery. I've now got just 2% left as I write this. I'd like to know how to get more use out the battery.

Take it off auto brightness and set it to about 1/4 and try that. Sometimes auto brightness gets stuck (even if the screen is off) tricking the digitizer to thinking it's still active.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

Post pictures of your screen on time and battery (examples below)

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Display using most of battery-uploadfromtaptalk1365298768956.jpg   Display using most of battery-uploadfromtaptalk1365298775675.jpg  
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Oh sorry.. Also post the graph (below) so we can see what's going on.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Display using most of battery-uploadfromtaptalk1365298826926.jpg  

Are you using WiFi or 3g data or LTE. This would be a very big issue depending on what you are using. If you use data in a bad signal area this will drain your battery faster than pretty much anything else.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock 4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Take it off auto brightness and set it to about 1/4 and try that. Sometimes auto brightness gets stuck (even if the screen is off) tricking the digitizer to thinking it's still active.
    ditto.

unless i am in direct light, i always set display to zero. and physics will tell you that it takes a lot of energy to move electrons from 0-state to active - so if you're turning on the display from sleep frequently, or are watching a video, or playing games... this display activity uses a lot of energy.

cheers/dom
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Well another day and just 4 hours of battery life. I will have to post the screenshots the next time the battery runs down.

I'll try taking auto brightness off and see if it offers any improvement.

As far as signal, I primarily get 3g, but very slow 3g and lately I don't get any service in certain areas.

Four hours is not just the screen brightness, unless you have the screen on for almost all of those four hours. Something is running wrong. Taking and posting those screen shots is the first step toward enabling us to help you.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Global Posts
    22,935 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by cb2367 View Post
    Well another day and just 4 hours of battery life. I will have to post the screenshots the next time the battery runs down.

I'll try taking auto brightness off and see if it offers any improvement.

As far as signal, I primarily get 3g, but very slow 3g and lately I don't get any service in certain areas.

I agree that auto brightness does suck in terms of battery life. Part of your problem may be the weak 3G signal. I would suggest that when you are working or at school (or any other reason you would not need your phone to catch a signal), just turn Airplane Mode on. That will turn the radios off but keep the phone on. Any cellular phone will spend a lot of battery life searching/maintaining a weak signal. You can also try to go into Settings>Update Device>and update your PRL and Profile.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace

Weak 3g would be the killer but honestly... We can't diagnose anything without those screen shots that I talked about. For all we know your phone is running some app in the background that's keeping your phone constantly awake and then would drain your battery very fast.

Global Posts
    22,935 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Weak 3g would be the killer but honestly... We can't diagnose anything without those screen shots that I talked about. For all we know your phone is running some app in the background that's keeping your phone constantly awake and then would drain your battery very fast.

I am highly inclined to agree. To the original post...if you need to figure this out start uni stalling apps till you get to out of box. Then slowly reinstall. Either the weak signal or an app is killing your battery. If you dislike the idea of removing apps...fine. Enable airplane mode for the better part of the day. Tell every one you know what you are doing. Check for texts/calls every couple hours but thats it. See what happens.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace

Quote Originally Posted by cb2367 View Post
    I have power save enabled. Auto brightness is selected. The screen times out after 30 seconds.

I will start up Pandora and then lock the phone. I'll only unlock the phone and use the display if I need to search something on the internet or if I need to turn the phone off.

It looks like I'm now going to have to carry around an extra battery to get through the day, just like I had to eventually do when I had the Samsung Epic.

Turn off Power Saver mode. It doesn't help. I turned it on when I first got this phone, but turned it off within a month. I've never turned it back on and I actually get more life out of the battery.
    Not every device nor provider is for everyone. So choose carefully before you put your money down. Then live with your decision.

T-Mobile Note 4
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Asus Transformer Pad TF300T
    Chromecast
    Gear 2 Neo
    Gear S

Also turn off auto brightness. Set it to the lowest setting that works for you. You can always adjust the brightness manually.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Not every device nor provider is for everyone. So choose carefully before you put your money down. Then live with your decision.

T-Mobile Note 4
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Asus Transformer Pad TF300T
    Chromecast
    Gear 2 Neo
    Gear S

Do you keep a lot of app icons on your home screen? I noticed a huge change in my battery life when I removed most of them and just kept some i regularly used. Before this I used to have a short cut of just about every app on my home screens.