Page 1 of 13 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Your way to update to MD4

With many thanks to SkunkApe, whose shoes are much larger than mine, I fear....

[note]This will be the way to manually update your phone if you are:

Using a Sprint SPH-L710 Galaxy S3. Do not attempt to install this on any other version or phone.

And if you have the Stock Rom (rooted or unrooted) with all needed bloatware and Stock recovery. If you are using Clockwork Mod or TWRP recovery, see post #2. Note: You must be current and have MB1 on your phone before using the update file. This process will apparently remove root in some cases.
    [/note]
    Download the following update zip and place it on your external SD card. Go to settings/security and make sure unknown sources is unchecked. This may be unnecessary.

Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time. As soon as you see a flash, let go of the buttons. This will put you in stock recovery. Using the volume bar to select and power button to activate, select update from external storage. Choose the file you previously put there. Push your power button. Your update will begin.

[INFO] The official Sprint changelog is here: [/INFO]
    Last edited by meyerweb; 05-06-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by 36:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Your way to update to MD4

[NOTE]If you are Rooted and have custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) this is for you. This method will bring you up to date no matter which version you are on.You do not need to update to MB1 first. This is for the Sprint SPH-L710 device only. Do not attempt to flash on any other phone or carrier version.[/NOTE]
    This is the Full Stock MD4 Pre-Rooted in a zip file. You would flash these files like you would any other ROM. The Rom includes the kernel, but the firmware (radio) is a separate zip.

1. Perform a Nandroid backup, just in case.
    2. Download the modem / firmware file, and one of the MD4 ROM files and put them on your external or internal sdcard.
    3. Wipe cache, wipe dalvik,
    4. Factory Reset (optional, see note below)
    5. Flash Firmware
    6. Flash ROM
    7. Reboot

[Note]If you are currently running stock, rooted MB1 ROM you may be able to skip the Factory reset step and do a "dirty flash." This will preserve all your installed apps and settings, but runs this risk that you will run into problems with some apps. If so, you can perform the Factory reset step later. The safest method is to do a full backup with Titanium Backup or similar tool before you start, and do a full wipe, including factory reset, but many people here have skipped the Factory reset step without ill effects.[/Note]

Last edited by meyerweb; 05-02-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by 23:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

Still haven't gotten the OTA update. Is there any advantage to downloading the 'official' OTA update as opposed to the freeza method?

Quote Originally Posted by Juan_Ponce_de_Leon View Post
    Still haven't gotten the OTA update. Is there any advantage to downloading the 'official' OTA update as opposed to the freeza method?
    Nope, I have downloaded the official zip for all of the 4.1.2 updates, no differences other than you don't have to wait for Sprint.

so if im not rooted i use the second post method? and if so with the second post when i use that it will root my phone and update?

Quote Originally Posted by killswitch651 View Post
    so if im not rooted i use the second post method? and if so with the second post when i use that it will root my phone and update?
    If you are not rooted use post one instructions.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

No, if you're not rooted you need to use post 1 method. Alternatively, you can follow Skunkape's process in the Sprint rooting forum first, and then you can use the post 2 method to update.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S3. Please forgive any typos or auto-correct errors.

Thanked by:

Wish the download would be quicker. It's painfully slow!

When moving the files onto the internal memory of the phone, do they need to be unzipped? If so, which files need to be selected? I'm having a bit of a brain fart apparently

Mines say failed to verify

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Download error (from My PC)... Can't read source file... (from download page). To much traffic maybe?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by tat21985 View Post
    When moving the files onto the internal memory of the phone, do they need to be unzipped? If so, which files need to be selected? I'm having a bit of a brain fart apparently
    No, do not unzip them. Copy the zip file(s) to your internal or external SD card, and apply the process to the zip file(s).

Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOODANT215 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jhill110 View Post
    Download error (from My PC)... Can't read source file... (from download page). To much traffic maybe?
    I suspect the servers are getting hit pretty hard. Hollywood, it's possibly a bad download. I'd try again, maybe later when things settle down a little.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I suspect the servers are getting hit pretty hard. Hollywood, it's possibly a bad download. I'd try again, maybe later when things settle down a little.
    OK thx

I keep getting this failed to verify

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your way to update to MD4-uploadfromtaptalk1366914181315.jpg  

Big thanks to meyerweb for running this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I keep getting this failed to verify

Are you using the instructions from the first or second post?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Hollywood, which file did you download? Did you try downloading it a second time, in case the first one was corrupted? And which set of instructions (Post #1 or #2) are you following?

First file

I downloaded the first instructions.... Didnt work first couple times....so I downloaded zip again still getting error....

Just used the zip to update and it seemed to have gone flawlessly.

Worked flawlessly from stock. Thanks Meyer. Skunkape would be proud.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks. If it weren't for SkunkApe, I wouldn't have known where to begin.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

My device is rooted, so at the moment I can't try what's in the first post, but if necessary I can unroot tonight and give it a try.

Let's go back to the beginning: Is your phone currently working, on the prior version of the software? If so, go to Settings / About device, and tell me what the last three characters of the Build Number and Baseband are.
    From that screen, tap on Status. What does it say at the very bottom, for Device status?
    Has your phone ever been rooted?
    Is the update file in the top level of your SD card, or in a folder? If it's in a folder, try putting it at the top level instead.

I downloaded the first instructions.... Didn't work first couple times....so I downloaded zip again still getting error....

Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    MC, did you follow post #1?

Mb1 build number,

Device status say modified....

Page 1 of 13 1234 ... LastLast