Issues after updating to 4.1.2 - Keyboard lag, etc

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced major bugs with the latest 4.1.2 update? My keyboard always lags when trying to bring it up which it never did before. Also sometimes it trips out and I guess strecthes out on the whole screen and then finally goes back to normal. It also does this sometimes when I am trying to call someone. These are super annoying bugs.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
This is not what you want to hear, but it is recommended with any major/minor OS update to do a factory reset to clear old files that are still left from the old OS. Like a clean install on a PC as opposed to a upgrade. I was having problems with mine till the Factory Reset.
Go to Settings/Back up and reset, then choose Factory data reset.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I know ... I appreciate your input. I just hate that I am forced to do a factory reset and start from the beginning. It's so ridic. Loosing all your saved history, texts, calls, settings. Dictionary forgetting all the words you saved and having to start all over. I mean do they even test these updates prior to rolling them out? How could they when my phone used to be perfect and just gets worse with each update. I mean come on now, we have had like 4 or so updates total and I have only had the phone 7 months/ am I supposed to start from scratch 4 times in a matter of 7 months? Terrible. This is the only downfall I have with android/ my gs3. Anyone else with any better ideas? Anyone else can confirm you had these issues with the keyboard acting crazy and a factory reset really fixed the issues?

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! My phone is stock. I don't mod it or anything... How do I do that? your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: I just read somewhere online that booting into recovery mode is very simple. Just turn off your mobile phone, after that press and hold Volume UP + Home + Power Button and wait for the device to boot up.

Now that I know that, then what do I do? and when I clear the cache am I going to erase anything? Will all my stuff still be there? Note I am NOT rooted or anything... my phone is stock.

Last edited:

Shaner1334

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same issue, just tried the clear cache, and as far as I can tell it worked! Also, doesn't appear it wiped out anything important. Thanks a ton, that laggy keyboard was so annoying!

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same issue, just tried the clear cache, and as far as I can tell it worked! Also, doesn't appear it wiped out anything important. Thanks a ton, that laggy keyboard was so annoying!

How do you do that? Like the keyboard cache? I am so lost.. please help! PLUS, my battery life sucks after this update and drains as I use it. It was never this bad before.

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
in recovery you should be able to find where it says wipe cache. Try that. I used to have a lag as well and that was one of the main reasons I rooted. Because after you root, you can backup everything and it's really very easy backing it up and restoring with an app such as "titanium". After factory resetting my phone the lag went away. Although the " keyboard dictionary" I didn't restore because I wanted a "fresh" keyboard. So if you get frustrated about updates and losing data, maybe good old rooting is the thing for you. I usually just root but stay away from custom rom stuff to keep everything stock but with the great benefits of rooting!

The WheelMan

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I know ... I appreciate your input. I just hate that I am forced to do a factory reset and start from the beginning. It's so ridic. Loosing all your saved history, texts, calls, settings. Dictionary forgetting all the words you saved and having to start all over. I mean do they even test these updates prior to rolling them out? How could they when my phone used to be perfect and just gets worse with each update. I mean come on now, we have had like 4 or so updates total and I have only had the phone 7 months/ am I supposed to start from scratch 4 times in a matter of 7 months? Terrible. This is the only downfall I have with android/ my gs3. Anyone else with any better ideas? Anyone else can confirm you had these issues with the keyboard acting crazy and a factory reset really fixed the issues?

There is nothing "ridic" about it. The only way to avoid such problems would be for the upgrade to wipe your phone and install fresh automatically. Now THAT would be "ridic".

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I highly recommend using SwiftKey board. No lag issues what so ever, plus SwiftKey does learn as you type improving speed and accuracy.

Shaner1334

May 14, 2013
Visit site
How do you do that? Like the keyboard cache? I am so lost.. please help! PLUS, my battery life sucks after this update and drains as I use it. It was never this bad before.

I did it by restarting the phone and pressing volume up, home key, and power all at the same time while powering it on. Unfortunately, my keyboard has begun to lag again. I have also noticed this update is killing my battery. Think I'm just going to have to back up what I want on my phone and do a factory reset and not install the update if I can.

Mjomisko

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I tried all the above fixes and still had the keyboard lag. I uninstalled AVG antivirus and that did it. My keyboard pops up instantly again. Love my Galaxy Note II.

tinytina11

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if you've already solved your issue, but I was having the same problem and just came across a solution that has worked so far. My entire phone started lagging every time I'd text someone so I neeeeeeded an answer. This has worked so far.
You go to your applications. select settings. select application manager. slide over to all. find samsung keyboard. clear data.
I'm not even USING the samsung keyboard and it fixed my issues with the lag on the keyboard I was using.
Good luck! Hope this helps.:-!

sevenhvn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
This is not what you want to hear, but it is recommended with any major/minor OS update to do a factory reset to clear old files that are still left from the old OS. Like a clean install on a PC as opposed to a upgrade. I was having problems with mine till the Factory Reset.
Go to Settings/Back up and reset, then choose Factory data reset.

Yes, I do NOT want to hear such bad advice. Don't post stuff just for the sake of posting stuff.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree! And even though the factory reset is an option, I did that and I STILL have the keyboard bug and several others including my severe battery drain. It's the latest os update thst caused it and there's no way to fix it.