Help with update

salm04

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Noob here :-\ lol

I keep getting a update android software notification when I try to install it it keeps failing

I am rooted but i don't know how to unroot or how to check what i used to root as my laptop is fried and the link with the steps i used was saved on there :(

Any help will be greatly appreciated :) i have the 4.1.1 on my GS3 now i dont know what this update is or if its even worth it

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Noob here :-\ lol

I keep getting a update android software notification when I try to install it it keeps failing

I am rooted but i don't know how to unroot or how to check what i used to root as my laptop is fried and the link with the steps i used was saved on there :(

Any help will be greatly appreciated :) i have the 4.1.1 on my GS3 now i dont know what this update is or if its even worth it

It keeps failing because it knows you are rooted. To obtain root access, and additional line of code/file has to be added. The update looks for that extra little bit. Now that you are rooted, all of your updates will have to be done manually.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
One other note. Some rooted users have reported that accepting the OTA has"broken" their phone, requiring a factory reset or even the reloading of a complete ROM. In the future, don't accept any requests to update automatically. There will usually be a way to manually update posted here, or on XDA, soon after the OTA appears. Frequently before the OTA.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
One other note. Some rooted users have reported that accepting the OTA has"broken" their phone, requiring a factory reset or even the reloading of a complete ROM. In the future, don't accept any requests to update automatically. There will usually be a way to manually update posted here, or on XDA, soon after the OTA appears. Frequently before the OTA.

I have noticed that too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Richard Watts

May 26, 2013
Visit site
MD4 update

I have two Sprint Galaxy S3s . When the MD4 update was announced, I waited for a week or two then went ahead and did the update manually with no issues but only on my own phone.

I decided not to update my second phone (wife's) because frankly I didn't trust it 100%. And why should I? It's not exactly coming through a channel that you'd expect a big company like Sprint to use.

And now it's been a month and half and still no OTA prompt to do the update on that unupdated 2nd phone and the Settings/System Update request is a total waste of time.

My questions are:
If Sprint is going release updates why they hell don't THEY release the update from their website so users will know unquestionably that it's official?
And why the hell have the ability to request an update if it's going to be ignored? It doesn't put you on the list of customers waiting impatiently, it doesn't do anything.

It's just a ****ty way to run an airline in my opinion.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
First, the update I posted in the "Your way to update to MD4" isn't through an official channel, but it IS the official update. When you accept an OTA, that same file gets downloaded to your phone. This file was captured by someone who got the OTA. I'm not belittling your concerns, just explaining. The source of that particular file has provided update files for every version of the Sprint S3 to date, and many people have installed it.

I don't think anyone has figured out how Sprint rolls out these updates, but it does seem like you should have gotten it by now. Some people say that going into Settings / Application manager and clearing data, then force stopping the Google framework, and possibly repeating that process several times, will get you the OTA. I have no idea if it's true.