Galaxy S III battery died, now won't charge and wont turn on!!! HELP!

rainbow9090

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Im new around here.
Im going crazy because of my cellphone :(
I was on my way driving to South Carolina from Florida, I was using my samsung galaxy s iii gps, it was working perfectly, until I saw it was dying, I tried to plug in to the car charger, but it died. Thats not the problem, the problem is that when I plugged it in, a grey battery was on the screen but like freezed. I left it alone for a while thinking that maybe it needed a few minutes to charge and then turn on again, but that never happened. Then the screen showed a green battery charging, when I tried to turn it on, it went to the samsung logo, then spring logo then went off AGAIN.
I already tried the volume down buttom plus home buttom plus power button, but only show the samsung logo then go off and only if its plugged in. If its not plugged in it wont turn on AT ALL.
I dont have insurance :( Sprint told me to call samsung, but I will have to wait until tuesday. ALSO, My screen cracked a while ago, since i didnt have insurance someone else fixed the screen for me for a low price, is that going to be a problem when I send the phone to samsung for a "possible" replacement?
Im going crazy!! :( help please

Last edited by a moderator:

The WheelMan

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S III battery died, now wont charge and wont turn on!!! HELP!

Im new around here.
I was on my way driving to South Carolina from Florida, I was using my samsung galaxy s iii gps, it was working perfectly, until I saw it was dying, I tried to plug in to the car charger, but it died. Thats not the problem, the problem is that when I plugged it in, a grey battery was on the screen but like freezed. I left it alone for a while thinking that maybe it needed a few minutes to charge and then turn on again, but that never happened. Then the screen showed a green battery charging, when I tried to turn it on, it went to the samsung logo, then spring logo then went off AGAIN.
I already tried the volume down buttom plus home buttom plus power button, but only show the samsung logo then go off and only if its plugged in. If its not plugged in it wont turn on AT ALL.
I dont have insurance :( Sprint told me to call samsung, but I will have to wait until tuesday. ALSO, My screen cracked a while ago, since i didnt have insurance someone else fixed the screen for me for a low price, is that going to be a problem when I send the phone to samsung for a "possible" replacement?

Can you get a new battery and try that first? I don't know if it will help, but that's what I would try first.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

How long did you leave it charging? If the battery has only a very weak charge, the phone will turn on, but then shut right down again. Are you sure the car charger is good?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Im new around here.

Welcome to the forums!
Sorry the circumstances weren't better. I would try letting the phone charge on your standard wall charger for a few hours before trying to turn it on. After that, I would try buying a new battery.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S3 battery died, now wont charge and wont turn on!!! HELP!

Take Golfdriver's advice. But, if it proves to be a bad battery, take it to a Sprint store (preferably a corporate one) and let them check it out. The battery is also covered by the warranty. They will probably replace it, free of charge. In the future, I suggest you leave your car charger plugged in while using GPS. It'll at least maintain the charge that's already on you battery and probably give it a little kick. Also, I don't think the car charger will help if the battery runs down completely; only the ac charger.

Maxime Mondello

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

I tried something which worked apparently... I took the battery out and plugged the phone in the wall... Then I put the battery back in.. the red light told me the battery was charging even tho the phone would not boot... I unplugged and then plugged it back. The phone took me to the charging green battery icon when it is charging but not turned on. Then I tried to boot it and it worked ! my phone is up and charging

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I tried something which worked apparently... I took the battery out and plugged the phone in the wall... Then I put the battery back in.. the red light told me the battery was charging even tho the phone would not boot... I unplugged and then plugged it back. The phone took me to the charging green battery icon when it is charging but not turned on. Then I tried to boot it and it worked ! my phone is up and charging

Welcome to the forums!
And thanks for sharing!!

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site

Just for the record, Samsung Repair will NOT replace the phone. I have already tired that when my wife's phone died. The only do repairs, that's it....your best bet is to take it to your carrier and let them replace it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Just for the record, Samsung Repair will NOT replace the phone. I have already tired that when my wife's phone died. The only do repairs, that's it....your best bet is to take it to your carrier and let them replace it.

It depends on what the problem is. In some cases, Samsung WILL simply replace the phone, but it will likely be a reconditioned phone, not a brand new one.

Brent Hisle

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

I was having this problem and took the battery out and plugged it into the wall then the red light came on then I plugged it in and it started charging again

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site

No they will not.....!! I had to take my wife's phone back to sprint and let them replace the phone. Samsung Repair told me point blank they DO NOT replace phones. I even sent the phone to them twice and it still didn't work.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

No they will not.....!! I had to take my wife's phone back to sprint and let them replace the phone. Samsung Repair told me point blank they DO NOT replace phones. I even sent the phone to them twice and it still didn't work.

Fine. And Samsung's front line customer support never, ever, make mistakes. If you read these boards, you'll find posts from people who sent their phones to Samsung and were complaining because they got back reconditioned phones instead of getting their original phones back. But I'm sure those posters must be lying, just to confuse the rest of us.

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site

I do read these boards all the time and I have read the post you speak about. I'm just telling you what I was told by a top level supervisor from Samsung Repair. What other people do or have done was not the issue, however I don't see why I would be singled out and other people are able to get replacements. But hey don't take my word for it, call and ask for yourself....

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I don't doubt you were told that. But the simple fact is that Samsung DOES sometimes replace phones with reconditioned ones. The proof is out there. Am I surprised a "top level supervisor" (whatever that's supposed to mean. If he was talking to you on the phone, he's probably only one level above the dweebs who answer the phone.) doesn't know what happens when he's not looking? No, I'm not.

When what someone says is clearly different from the facts, I tend to side with the facts, not what some nameless mid-level employee of Samsung believes.

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site

A top level supervisor is who you talk to when the "dweebs" as you call them can't help you. Like your bottom line suggestion in all your comments, If I knew whether I had a "headache or a concussion" I wouldn't need a doctor. That being said, as I said before I was only relaying MY situation to the OP and suggested he seek help with his carrier because of my experience with Samsung Repair. Trust me when I tell you I tried everything and every way I could to get Samsung to replace my wife's phone and they wouldn't budge, and as big a company that they are what could it hurt except to change my opinion of Samsung. I will never send another phone to Samsung Repair! My wife had a Samsung Intercept before the GS3 and that phone was a piece of junk. The GS3 is a great phone but Samsung as a whole I don't really care for and never have and my past experience with there repair service didn't help my opinion of them.

I think we have beat this horse enough, I respect your opinion.

Last edited:

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

My local Sprint store will sell an OEM bulk packaged battery for $5. All you have to do is ask. You don't even need a phone or old battery problem. Just tell them you need a spare.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

A lot of Sprint stores will GIVE you used OEM batteries. When they send back phones for insurance replacement, or to the manufacturers for repair, they don't send back the batteries. They general just toss them in a box, and if you ask, are happy to dig one out for your phone.

jbsee

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

I just recently came across this problem as well. I took out the battery, plugged in the charger, put the battery back in and plugged the charger back in again. It took me to a gray battery then a green one. I tried to boot it up but it still shuts off. How long do you think I should keep it charging before I reboot it up? Thanks.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

If the battery is completely discharged, I think 30 minutes would be the bare minimum before being able to turn it on again. Possibly even longer.

TheAndroidDewd

May 15, 2013
Visit site

You can see if the battery is bulged by spinning the battery on a flat surface and if it spins easily it has a budge and is bad

Posted via Android Central App