Unrooted and now can't update

jason1mc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Kept getting dialog that I needed to update. So unrooted my phone (wasn't really doing that much anyway). Unroot went great - thanks Skunkape.

Now when I go to Android System Update, it says it's "downloaded and verified: 157.7 mb" but when I hit restart and Install... it counts down but doesn't do anything...

Thanks!

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Kept getting dialog that I needed to update. So unrooted my phone (wasn't really doing that much anyway). Unroot went great - thanks Skunkape.

Now when I go to Android System Update, it says it's "downloaded and verified: 157.7 mb" but when I hit restart and Install... it counts down but doesn't do anything...

Thanks!

Have you checked in the about phone and verified if the baseband ends with MD4 or not? If does then it is updated. If not see below.

Since you have unrooted I am gonna say you are on stock recovery. If so go here and see post #1

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2730989

sent from my GS3 running Wicked

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!

My guess is when your phone had a bad download of part of the file. I would follow the update method that seanskiT1 linked, and go from there.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Could you do us a favor and go to settings - > about phone - > status, scroll all the way down and if device status says "modified" the update will fail. To get it back to stock you have to restore with the len ota Odin file and upgrade back.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Could you do us a favor and go to settings - > about phone - > status, scroll all the way down and if device status says "modified" the update will fail. To get it back to stock you have to restore with the len ota Odin file and upgrade back.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

IMO, you don't have to restore. Thanks to KennyGlass, developer of The People's Rom, you can flash this file to get your GS3 to report Status: Normal

Last edited:

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
As always, I'm wrong. I bow to the superior knowledge of Ambassador Golfdriver97, ex-Ambassador meyerweb (hmm....) and seanskiT1. Should anyone who wants to try to help forum members run all posts through the three of you to get your blessing? Oh, and "Same here" is a very helpful post, trying to get your posts count up?

I expect to get banned now, so much for my First Amendment right.

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
As always, I'm wrong. I bow to the superior knowledge of Ambassador Golfdriver97, ex-Ambassador meyerweb (hmm....) and seanskiT1. Should anyone who wants to try to help forum members run all posts through the three of you to get your blessing? Oh, and "Same here" is a very helpful post, trying to get your posts count up?

I was just expressing that from what I've read, that we had the same understanding. I could care less about post counts. And definitely not gonna say you need to be banned. You've been as helpful as anyone else, and prolly more then me as I haven't been on here as long. If you find something from the xda forums that says different then I will gladly admit I was wrong.

sent from my GS3 running Wicked

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

You don't have to be rude.
Rooting does add lines of code. That is why you have to add files when you root.
Status modified or not is irrelevant. I had a normal status on my S2 that was rooted. Every OTA update failed. I found out that was the reason on XDA.
Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Golfdriver is a member of the android central forums leadership team and deserves to be treated as such. He goes out of his way and spares HIS time to respond to and answer every thread that he can, and has done a wonderful job helping the members of our forums. He deserves your respect just as much as a moderator of this forum. Snarkiness and putting down of others will not be tolerated, and I suggest you take the time to review the rules before posting again.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

As the Ambassador Team Leader of Android Central and a former Ambassador myself these great members are here and recognized as volunteer staff " Ambassadors " to help those looking for help. Day after day they seek out threads or posts looking for help, that is what they are here for. This goes the same for great members who aren't Ambassadors, their contributions are welcomed and appreciated.

Generally speaking ANYONE who visits or participates in these forums is expected to treat everyone with respect and how they would expect to be treated themselves. This stands for Moderators, Ambassadors or your fellow member.

Paul627g
Forums Moderator/Ambassador Team Leader, Android Central.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Ramer, the point wasn't that you were (or weren't) wrong, it was to provide the most helpful information for the members of this forum. You've provided lots of helpful answers here, but this one wasn't correct. None of us are perfect, and I've had to correct my own mistakes here, too.

And if you're really interested in why I'm an "ex-ambassador", feel free to PM me.

Nick Karnes

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, not sure if you are all done arguing, but I have a question regarding the file that I flashed to return my status to normal. After flashing it, I can no longer access my settings. Touchwiz is gone. I've tried installing other launchers, no such luck. Anyone have any suggestions? Trying to avoid a factory reset, and actually read somewhere else that it doesn't work anyway.

parvus1202

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
If you click the update on your phoe, settings: about device: software update, then yes it wont update. But if you update the firmware using kies then your phone will go back to normal. It will be unrooted again. That happened to me. I unrooted it to use GSM unlock, but when I update the firmware my phone is locked again. So I unrrot it again so I can unlock it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech