Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Galaxy S3 Keyboard lag

When I go to send a text, or post a status to facebook, or use my keyboard in any way there is alway a lag in it coming up. normally takes about 10 seconds be fore it comes up correctly. Half of the time when it comes up its large ( same size as if the phone was turned sideways to type) and only shows half of the keyboard. it eventually fixes itself but its annoying and frustrating. I took it to a Sprint tech store and they removed the battery and it fixed it...for about 5 min. Then it started doing it all over again. I have alreaedy had to do a factory reset once since i got the phone due to a blue and black flashing samsung sign, any ideas?
    shaneontherocks likes this.

Global Posts
    20,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Galaxy S3 Keyboard lag

Quote Originally Posted by GOINS SOMEWHERE View Post
    When I go to send a text, or post a status to facebook, or use my keyboard in any way there is alway a lag in it coming up. normally takes about 10 seconds be fore it comes up correctly. Half of the time when it comes up its large ( same size as if the phone was turned sideways to type) and only shows half of the keyboard. it eventually fixes itself but its annoying and frustrating. I took it to a Sprint tech store and they removed the battery and it fixed it...for about 5 min. Then it started doing it all over again. I have alreaedy had to do a factory reset once since i got the phone due to a blue and black flashing samsung sign, any ideas?

Welcome to the forums.

I would suggest to reboot into recovery and wipe the phone's cache. To do so power off. Hold home volume up and power at the same time. release when you see the Samsung logo. You will then get a menu with highlighted bar. use the volume key to navigate down to wipe cache partition. Hit power. This may take about 15 to 30 seconds. When done, you will be brought back to the main menu, already highlighting reboot device. Hit power.

Hope this helps.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

I would suggest to reboot into recovery and wipe the phone's cache. To do so power off. Hold home volume up and power at the same time. release when you see the Samsung logo. You will then get a menu with highlighted bar. use the volume key to navigate down to wipe cache partition. Hit power. This may take about 15 to 30 seconds. When done, you will be brought back to the main menu, already highlighting reboot device. Hit power.

Hope this helps.
    Does doing this make me loose any saved info? like texts, contacts, saved games, settings, apps, etc?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shaneontherocks View Post
    Does doing this make me loose any saved info? like texts, contacts, saved games, settings, apps, etc?
    No, you will not lose any data from doing a cache wipe

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    No, you will not lose any data from doing a cache wipe

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    For some reason I do not believe you as Cache wipes delete all personal saved info on the phone....
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I promise you, you will not lose any data. Your apps are stored to the phone memory, contacts to Google, SIM, or phone memory, not the cache partition. I believe you are thinking of a factory reset, which will wipe all data from the phone. I just did a cache partition wipe on my phone two days ago, and nothing was lost.

Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

ok, do I have to be rooted or anything? My phone is completely stock...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

You do not have to be rooted. To wipe the system cache;
    power off
    hold down volume up + home + power all at once
    wait until the boot screen comes up and it will says recovery in the top left very small, let go at this point
    use the volume up and down to scroll and use the home button to select
    choose wipe cache
    then choose boot system

Thanked by 2:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

I've had the same issue and anything I did could not resolve it.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

ok , I did it... note that you hit the power button to select, not the home button. Thank you so much though. I wonder if this will fix the battery drain issue I am having. I heard the Google Play store is causing it but there is a new version 4.1.10 thats out and fixes it.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

ok , I did it... note that you hit the power button to select, not the home button. Thank you so much though. I wonder if this will fix the battery drain issue I am having. I heard the Google Play store is causing it but there is a new version 4.1.10 thats out and fixes it.
    I don't have an s3, so the method is different. I just gave you the results that I googled.

Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Thanks again Jennifer.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

No problem, also a big thanks to golfdriver for giving the advice, all I did was Google the method :-) he's such a great helping hand in the community.

Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    20,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    No problem, also a big thanks to golfdriver for giving the advice, all I did was Google the method :-) he's such a great helping hand in the community.

Thank you so much Jennifer. You fielded all those like a pro.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    20,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

This may very well fix some, if not all, battery issues, if you had an update recently.

Phone Timeline

Thumbs up Re: Galaxy S3 Keyboard lag

Thanks! Thanks for the fix. Great to have a forum out here for us.

I am not seeing the tiny "recovery" thing you mentioned and it's not getting into any menu.
    I am powering off, then trying to power back on holding the volume up + power + center button on the Galaxy S3 all at the same time to power the phone up. No menu....
    what am I doing wrong??? Thanks!

This didnt fix my lag. My keyboard still lags. This is such bull. Not even worth your time cuz it will just revert right back to the crap this is beginning to be.

Download ICS keyboard from play store. Very fast and not so cumbersome. Love it.

Global Posts
    20,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHinNH View Post
    I am not seeing the tiny "recovery" thing you mentioned and it's not getting into any menu.
    I am powering off, then trying to power back on holding the volume up + power + center button on the Galaxy S3 all at the same time to power the phone up. No menu....
    what am I doing wrong??? Thanks!
    You need to release when you see the Samsung logo.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Phone Timeline

Global Posts
    20,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

This didnt fix my lag. My keyboard still lags. This is such bull. Not even worth your time cuz it will just revert right back to the crap this is beginning to be.
    Have you tried a different one like Google?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Phone Timeline

you can also try clearing the data for keyboard before doing a hard reset and losing all you stuff thats not backed up. to clear the keyboard data press menu, settings, application manager, go to all then find samsung keyboard, click on it then click clear data. check your settings to see if you have predict turned on. also try clearing your user dictionary.

a fantastic way to save as much of your info as possible is to create a samsung account and selecting what you wanted backed up. it'll back up sms, mms, wall paper, logs and internet bookmarks just to name a few.

I have the exact same problem, and this didn't work for me either

ROM
    Stock 4.4

I had the lag problem with the Swype keyboard. When I switched to another keyboard (like the Samsung kb) there was no lag. I tried Clear Data, Clear Cache in recovery mode... No permanent difference. Fast forward to last week: I had to hard reset my S3 for a different reason, and the keyboard now pops up instantaneously.

cheers/dom

Not to be negative norman, but give it a week or so, I did a factory reset for this issue alone and it was perfect for a few days then started freezing, lagging, and the keyboard extends past the damn screen. Terrible. I am hoping 4.3 will fix this issue but I am not holding my breathe because there will be plenty more bugs I am sure.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast