Keeping My Phone Snappy: A question on periodic 'clean up' procedures.

Juan_Ponce_de_Leon

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I seem to be getting more lag now than when I first got the phone, even with all apps closed. As I swipe through my homescreens, there's a perceptable lag or stutter in the animations, but it's not too terrible. I'm just wondering: Are there any periodic operations I should to keep my phone running as fast and smooth as possible? Like the history cleaner widget or clearing google services cache every once in a while?

A big thanks to Skunkape and Meyerweb's advice and prolific links for getting me up-to-speed on everything else regarding how to use this phone thus far!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Have you rebooted lately? If not, reboot. Also, you might want to see which apps are running and consider deleting anything that is running or updating in the background if you don't use it.

Juan_Ponce_de_Leon

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you rebooted lately? If not, reboot. Also, you might want to see which apps are running and consider deleting anything that is running or updating in the background if you don't use it.
Yep I do a reboot probably once a day to swap out my dead battery. And this lag problem I'm seeing can happen even when i've killed any running apps (using the long press home key swipe-away/'kill all' button methods). As for the background services/apps accessible through the Application Manager, there are a bunch running: facebook, google stuff, etc., but I haven't tried killing any of those.

Juan_Ponce_de_Leon

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Cleared phone's cache through recovery?
Nope I haven't tried that. I haven't gotten into rooting or had a need to do that...if you can let me know how, that would be great! Also: when I perform this operation, I assume that all my apps and widgets will remain, but will there be anything different/cleared/reset otherwise? Thanks so much!

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I wouldnt suggest manually shutting down services in the background unless there are third party apps still running. Android is advanced to the point of clearing out services as it needs. As for good clean up practices, I second that rebooting from time to time(with fastboot disabled), will clear out any temp files in the cache and give you a nice little clean slate. Clearing the cache through recovery can also help.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Nope I haven't tried that. I haven't gotten into rooting or had a need to do that...if you can let me know how, that would be great! Also: when I perform this operation, I assume that all my apps and widgets will remain, but will there be anything different/cleared/reset otherwise? Thanks so much!

Beauty part is, you don't need to be rooted to do this.

Start by powering down. After complete shutdown, reboot into recovery by pressing power, home, and volume up at the same time. Best done by hitting home and volume before power. Release when you see the Samsung logo. It will bring up a menu of options, with a highlighted bar. Scroll down using volume keys, to wipe cache partition. Hit power to accept. This will NOT wipe data, apps, etc.

This process will be quick, like 15 to 30 seconds. Once done, it will bring you back to the main menu, already highlighting reboot now. Press power.

Clearing cache is probably one of those things to be done once a month, similar to nearly draining your battery. Biggest thing is when OTA updates are received, the old cache conflicts with the new update, sometimes causing lag.

Juan_Ponce_de_Leon

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Beauty part is, you don't need to be rooted to do this.

Start by powering down. After complete shutdown, reboot into recovery by pressing power, home, and volume up at the same time. Best done by hitting home and volume before power. Release when you see the Samsung logo. It will bring up a menu of options, with a highlighted bar. Scroll down using volume keys, to wipe cache partition. Hit power to accept. This will NOT wipe data, apps, etc.

This process will be quick, like 15 to 30 seconds. Once done, it will bring you back to the main menu, already highlighting reboot now. Press power.

Clearing cache is probably one of those things to be done once a month, similar to nearly draining your battery. Biggest thing is when OTA updates are received, the old cache conflicts with the new update, sometimes causing lag.
Absolutely fantastic post, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!

Also, you have an awesome sig...been saying it to people with quiet but wide-eyed results :D

Juan_Ponce_de_Leon

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I wouldnt suggest manually shutting down services in the background unless there are third party apps still running. Android is advanced to the point of clearing out services as it needs. As for good clean up practices, I second that rebooting from time to time(with fastboot disabled), will clear out any temp files in the cache and give you a nice little clean slate. Clearing the cache through recovery can also help.
What is this...'fastboot disabled' of which you speak??:confused:

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I seem to be getting more lag now than when I first got the phone, even with all apps closed. As I swipe through my homescreens, there's a perceptable lag or stutter in the animations, but it's not too terrible. I'm just wondering: Are there any periodic operations I should to keep my phone running as fast and smooth as possible? Like the history cleaner widget or clearing google services cache every once in a while?

A big thanks to Skunkape and Meyerweb's advice and prolific links for getting me up-to-speed on everything else regarding how to use this phone thus far!

Try to run an OS version as close as possible to the OS that came installed on the phone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Your phone might not have it. I'm not sure. But fast boot is like a sleep mode, it doesn't completely shut the phone down.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370375315831.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370375315831.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 20

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely fantastic post, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!

Also, you have an awesome sig...been saying it to people with quiet but wide-eyed results :D

You are welcome. That is what we are here for. My only request is pay it forward. A lot!!!

And yes, my signature was an eye opener for me when I first read it!!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Your phone might not have it. I'm not sure. But fast boot is like a sleep mode, it doesn't completely shut the phone down.

Fastboot option isn't stock on Samsungs. After flashing a custom ROM sometimes, but not stock. Thus the confusion.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
My bad :p
And its our pleasure. We are all here to help and be helped:)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Nope I don't believe it does but that is coooool. Thanks so much for spending your time on a noob like me :) folks like you and golfdriver make this website indispensable!

Hey...believe it or not, at one point in time I didn't know what fastboot, recovery, and flashing was either. Lol...

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My bad :p
And its our pleasure. We are all here to help and be helped:)

Not really a bad...just lack of knowledge on a device... but I will forgive you...:p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma