Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By friedtators
  • 1 Post By gadgetfreak2
  • 2 Post By meyerweb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sudden Battery Drain

Over the past few days my sgs3 has inexplicably been having battery issues. When I check the battery status, the phone states the the screen is the biggest culprit and responsible for about 50 - 80% even when the screen has been seldom on. What's worse is that even though the screen hasn't been on the phone is pretty much always awake for some reason. When i check task manager no apps are active. TO help pinpoint the problem I downloaded wakelock detector and it revealed that the android system was keeping the phone awake and more specifically the location manager service . I tried disabling gps and the automatic location updates for google maps and other apps but it did not fix the problem. Another issue to note is that the phone gets very hot sometimes (as high as 104 degrees) even when I'm not using it. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know a solution?

Default Re: Sudden Battery Drain

are there environmental issues? caring phone in a pocket? phone case? hot car? hot weather? also try resetting your battery drain it down and charge it full and see if it helps. heat is bad.
    Nancy McFarlane likes this.

Maybe a specific app. Have you installed anything recently? Are you sure it's not the more common media scan running amok too

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by abovetherim22 View Post
    Over the past few days my sgs3 has inexplicably been having battery issues. When I check the battery status, the phone states the the screen is the biggest culprit and responsible for about 50 - 80% even when the screen has been seldom on. What's worse is that even though the screen hasn't been on the phone is pretty much always awake for some reason. When i check task manager no apps are active. TO help pinpoint the problem I downloaded wakelock detector and it revealed that the android system was keeping the phone awake and more specifically the location manager service . I tried disabling gps and the automatic location updates for google maps and other apps but it did not fix the problem. Another issue to note is that the phone gets very hot sometimes (as high as 104 degrees) even when I'm not using it. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know a solution?

Welcome to the forums!

I am sorry it's not under better circumstances, but welcome.

I am guessing your phone is not new. If it is, you should take it back for a replacement.

If you had this device for a while, let's try these things: 1. with the exception of wakelock, remove any apps that you recently downloaded. 2. I would next suggest clearing the phone's cache by rebooting into recovery. Sometimes, old data gets in the way of the new updates.
    Here is a guide to reboot into recovery:
    [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

The last thing I can suggest is a factory reset.

Hope that helps. If not, I would contact your carrier/Samsung.
    Last edited by Golfdriver97; 06-07-2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Additional details

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

I just want to say that I have experienced this too for the last week or so. I used to sit it my office and deplete my battery less than 1% an hour. Yes - I said 1% not 10%. If I stayed at my desk with wifi the whole day, I would still have 90% by 5 PM. Now, it is more like 70%. For me, Google Services seems to be the newest item in my battery list. I disabled Google Play Music as that kept on showing as an active app after the most recent update (even though I never use it) but it didn't help. I also disabled Google Now but I am not seeing much better performance. I also tried two different batteries. Something must have updated recently to cause this.
    Last edited by gadgetfreak2; 06-07-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    shaneontherocks likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by abovetherim22 View Post
    While GolfDriver pretty much touched on everything, I honestly think it's due to the latest update 4.1.2 with multi-view applications etc. I did everything GolfD suggested, booted into recovery and cleared Cache, deleted any unused apps, and even went as far as doing a factory reset. I have only had my phone for 6 months, I GUARANTEE YOU it has to be some bug in the latest update that is killing our battery... The stand by seems OK but the moment you turn on your phone and start using it you can literally watch your battery life plummet. It never used to be like that. For example, I wake up at 7 am every morning to go to work by 8 am.. Normally my battery would still be at 100% even with a lil light use in the morning but now when I arrive to the office it's already down to 95% then by 8:30 after minimal use, couple texts and quick check on fb, my battery is down to 85% ... It's terrible. Right now by battery is at 79% and I barely even used it this am. I am pissed. I am not going to turn in my phone and start all over again for the 2nd time (Starting from scratch). Instead I hope the next update will fix the bug... but most likely something else some other bug will come into play affecting the battery. Sucks I used to get almost 2 full days off one charge. Now dead by the time i'm off. We should all complain to your Carriers, Google, and Samsung to fix the battery drain.

With you on this gadgetfreak2, it's so damn frustrating. I too saw the google play active and disabled it with no help. Its the latest update!

I am not sure if it is the OS update or just an app that we have had for a long time that just got updated recently which could be causing this issue. If it was the OS, I would think there would be tons of other complaints. Your numbers are very similar to mine. I wouldn't exactly call it rapid draining but it is disappointing after what we were used to. I have tons of apps so I think it will be very difficult to narrow it down. Of course, by you saying you did a factory reset, assuming you had this drain before any apps were installed, then my theory is shot.

yup, I am about 99% positive it's the OS update because it still drained rapidly even with no apps installed.. And most people don't look at their battery life or monitor it etc. They just use the phone.

I am also having severe battery issues after the last update. I believe it's definitely due to some communication or GPS in the background. Try putting the phone into Airplane mode -- this disables all the radios -- and watch how much longer your battery lasts. I mean, I can literally use my phone with the screen on full brightness for 20 minutes and maybe lose 1-2% with airplane mode on. Turn it off, and I lose about 30% in 20 minutes of use. This is how I tested it and confirmed that it's not the screen but something in the update to 4.1.2.
    Sent from my Galecksee S3.

I'm sorry, but some people on these forums are way to quick to recommend a factory reset, and to recommend fixes without making any effort to actually debug the problem. If you want help with battery issues, the very, very first thing you should do is post the standard three battery screens so we can see what's going on. If you're not sure what those screens are, or how to capture and post them here, just ask.

Also, you might look at the diagnostic tools and techniques discussed in the following thread. Even if your problem is different, this approach may help you figure it out:

Android System eating your battery? Check this.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
    dizlmonsta and andee1517 like this.

ROM
    Stock for now

I've seen a simliar pattern as has been discussed in this forum. From 4.1 to 4.1.2 I really didn't have any change in the set up of my phone. I kept Google Now on (I actually love the functionality and the new geo fencing is great). According to GSam Battery Monitor (I'm a little obsessive about watching my battery). The screen seems to eat up WAY more of a percentage of my battery than it used to (my usage patterns have not changed at all, in fact I might use it a little less at times since I use my iPad more). I still get through a day (so I'm not completely fussing over it) but I plug in with a lower percentage than I'm used to. GPS/WiFi/Bluetooth are mere blips on the radar. I did notice that the Gallery (and by extension the Picasa sync) were wake locking me a bunch. I patched that up quickly (don't use Picasa) and I haven't seen a huge improvement since.

I've actually found that my Pocket Casts app (use an hour a day) actually drains less battery during that hour than it used to (again screen off in this case). When I get home, browse an email or two, check a quick score, and my battery seems to drain quicker than it did in the past. As noted I've seen the same behavior pre and post cache clear as well as pre/post factory reset, as well as across 2 devices (Best Buy swap out for a cracked screen). It definitely is consistent with the most recent update as prior to the update GSam would indicate an average cycle of 1 day and 4-5 hours (26-27 total). Now its down to about 20-21 (that's 20% drop in expected life with no change in usage). Again, those screen perentages are higher than I ever remember seeing them. Still rocking auto brightness as I always have.
    Jeff
    Galaxy S3, Epic 4G Touch, Photon, Evo, Pre, Pixi, Moto Q, BB Curve, PPC-6700
    Addicted to cell phones since 1998

I am back to using my extended battery until this issue is resolved. Too bad. I really loved the thinness of the standard battery. Endurance was more than acceptable (and I could always carry a spare one for long days out).

Also, I notice that when there is no (or extremely weak) cell service, the battery drains incredibly fast. Happened yesterday in a place I was. Also happens often in the NYC subways. But this happened before the update too. Only problem now is that I don't have as much to spare.

Same drain problem with 3 GS3's in my house. All three were fine before the update, now all three eat battery like crazy.

Things I've tried: reset the cache on each. Turned off Google Latitude, location services, and NFC. Now the phones don't get hot when sitting off and in a pocket. But they still drain about 10% an hour doing nothing. If they are on and being used they drain at over 20% an hour can get much hotter than before.

This is crazy. I've installed wakelock detector and using the battery monitor to try and figure this out. But, the fact that while running they go through battery much much faster really says it isn't truly a sleep issue.

I just hope they fix this... I miss my battery life and this is unacceptable.

But why isn't this issue more prevalent? Until abovetherim22 started this thread, it doesn't seem like anyone was talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak2 View Post
    But why isn't this issue more prevalent? Until abovetherim22 started this thread, it doesn't seem like anyone was talking about it.
    A lot of people's answer to this complaint on other S3 battery threads has been "get an extra battery and keep the phone charging". Which I do actually do now.

But there are plenty of times I'm away for a long time with no access to an outlet and charger. And using the battery like it is now is just nuts. I can't really use my GS3 as a smart phone any more. I have to make a choice of keep it off and hope it lasts 8 hours OR use it and have it die in 4 hours. And this happens on 3 different phones after the latest update.

I have the same issue as the OP. But to make it even more strange, I'm rooted, using Wicked Sensations ROM.
    I haven't done anything, or installed anything new. But for the past 4 days, my extended battery has been getting down to 40% by the time I go to bed. (It never got below 60)
    And it all started about the same time it leaked out that the NSA was recording us.
    Things that make you go hmmmmmmm

Update (possible resolution for me?)

I uninstalled a bunch of the the stuff that came with 4.1.2 (namely all the Google stuff, e.g. Google Play Magazines, Books, Movies, Music) as well as a few other updates (Kies, Samsung Push, and a couple others) found simply through Application Manager under Downloaded. After this, I Powered Off my phone and removed the battery for about 15 seconds. Turned it back on and it seems the battery life has improved. Note I did have to turn OFF auto-updates to applications in order to prevent 4.1.2 from automatically redownloading and installing those apps).
    Sent from my Galecksee S3.

After uninstalling those updates, couldn't you just disable them instead of turning off auto-update? Or do you still use them but just the older versions?

Just to let you know, I uninstalled all the updates to Google Play Magazines, Books, Movies, and Music and then disabled them. I am much closer to the battery life I had before this fiasco. I can't tell if I am totally back but it is much better. I just thoughts I would let you know. Of course, that only helps if you don't use the above apps.

Also had serious battery drain issue, and I am grateful that you suggested to go into recovery mode and clear the S2 phone's cache.

It worked, the battery drain is now back to how it was before the 4.1.2 upgrade.

Thank you very much for your very clear instructions.

I have noticed the same battery drain issues. I removed all of the apps that I recently downloaded. It helped, but only for a short while. I tried powering my phone off hoping to close any apps that were still draining my battery. This usually did not help at all. I used the phone's built in task manager and even would clear the RAM on a regular basis. I tried using the Developers Options and limiting my phone to only 4 processes running at a time. None of these things seemed to help at all. I eventually broke down and took my phone to Sprint where they told me they would order a new battery. I didn't think this was the issue so the the technician did a complete factory reset. Low and behold, I got my original battery life back ... but only for a couple of days. After the first time using the GPS, the battery drain was back. I am now trying the removal of the google apps updates as listed by someone else on this thread. We'll see if that works. If it doesn't, I think my next move is to contact Samsung. Thanks for all of your posts.