from sprint to straighttalk on used sph l710

Fishh

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
i just bought a used galaxy s3. it's the sprint sph l710 model. i want to use it with my current straighttalk account. i've seen youtube vidioes on unlocking the phone- but this model has only the micro SD slot and no sim card slot. can it be unlocked and used with my current straighttalk account? if so, how? -fishh

banzaiwolfe

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I believe Straight Talk uses T-Mobile or AT&T, so you wouldn't be able to use a Sprint phone with that service. Sprint is CDMA and AT&T/T-Mobile are GSM.

Fishh

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I believe Straight Talk uses T-Mobile or AT&T, so you wouldn't be able to use a Sprint phone with that service. Sprint is CDMA and AT&T/T-Mobile are GSM.
Yes. I understand that I can't use it as a Sprint phone. I'm trying to unlock it so that I can use it with any carrier. I have seen youtube videos on unlocking the phone, but all of them talk about placing the sim card from my carrier [straight talk] into the phone and powering it up. i have actually seen it done. the trouble is that the phone i bought doesn't have the sim card slot. it only has a micro SD slot. ??

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I understand that I can't use it as a Sprint phone. I'm trying to unlock it so that I can use it with any carrier. I have seen youtube videos on unlocking the phone, but all of them talk about placing the sim card from my carrier [straight talk] into the phone and powering it up. i have actually seen it done. the trouble is that the phone i bought doesn't have the sim card slot. it only has a micro SD slot. ??

I think you're in the same boat as this person. Chk this out.

Straight Talk won't unlock my iPhone 5!!

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Straight talk also uses verizions towers ..so you might be able to

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Check this link...please let me know if it help you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXM3gLBB-lM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Fishh

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

everything i'm reading is saying that straight talk uses verizon towers- which- like sprint is also CDMA. [not GSM]

Fishh

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
so are you saying that a sprint phone can be 'flashed' over to another network [straight talk]? is that the answer for switching from sprint since there's no SIM?

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
It's a fruitless effort. Sprint is the only one that CAN'T be unlocked to other carriers, there's no sim card to hold all your account information. Sprint uses built-in memory for that. And unless I'm wrong, there's no rom out there that can change that, or emulate that.

I've personally talked to level 3 tech support at sprint, and when i told him that my s3 is rooted. He asked why? He said there's no way to unlock it for global use, or be able to drop it onto another carrier, so what's the point? Cause a rooted phone is the only way to go.

So directly from sprint saying that it is not possible to switch carriers with their phones.
Well everything ive hear says other wise check this link

http://www.ehow.com/how_7521735_flash-phone-straight-talk-mobile.html#page=0

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
While I generally agree with you I pose this food for thought. You would think that Sprint phones on the SPRINT network would get preference over Virgin Mobile... but with 3G sprint and virgin phones side by side the Virgin phone got better speedtest results EVERY TIME. 4G LTE sprint and virgin phones sitting side by side and AGAIN the Virgin phone got better speedtest results.. You be the judge...

I have a S3 on sprint... my friend has the virgin phones...

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well everything ive hear says other wise check this link

How to Flash an Existing Cell Phone to a Straight Talk Mobile | eHow

Reread that article... Sprint is NOT GSM they are CDMA. The article talks about SIM cards... Sprint doesn't use SIM cards... Believe me, several years ago I learned that all the major carriers in the USA (Sprint, Verizon, ATT, Tmobile) all use different frequencies for 3g and now 4g. Your only hope is to flash a phone over to a no contract carrier... and even then you aren't always going to get full speed/use of the phone. We aren't like other countries where all you have to do is unlock the phone, if locked, and swapping a SIM card.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
You can now take a Sprint branded Galaxy S3 to Boost mobile. Since Boost does have the Galaxy S3 now. The esn must be clear for it to be allowed on the system.

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
DUDE! The first thing it says you need is a sim card!! This is the whole point! I'm a level 3 tech and know my stuff, there are no sim cards on any sprint phones. And as far as i know, there never will be.

And like robotron says, all the carriers use different frequencies, they have to or all our data and calls would get overlapped and corrupted most likely. Now if boost mobile is still around, which it sounds like they are, that's 1 of the only other carriers that i know of, that a sprint phone will work with. Like kg4 says, you'll need to clear your esn, and update your IMEI number accordingly. Ok, I'm done ranting, i won't comment in here anymore.

Sorry for posting the wrong link but I will post the correct link once I get home to my computer I have it booked marked its suppose to b the straighttalk link

Last edited:

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for posting the wrong link but I will post the correct link once I get home to my computer I have it booked marked

DUDE, cloning an ESN is just like grinding and stamping a different VIN on your Automobile.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Since Boost is owned by Sprint. All you need to do is just have them activate the phone there by taking it in. No ESN cloning required or changing.

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
if you read the page about CDMA phones you will see they don't support ANY LTE phones.. You have to enter the MEID, brand and model and they will tell you if you can bring that phone onto their service... NO flashining needed.... as long as they support them...

Read this from the page:
Phone Information
Note: This program will not work with 4G LTE technology phones, iPhones, Blackberries or branded Straight Talk, TracFone, Safe Link, NET10 Wireless, and Telcel America phones.

edit: I just tried my old Evo3D and it told me my phone was not eligible. You mileage may vary

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance