Ok, so I've scoured the internet and throughout AC Forums and have not been able to find an answer. I open Gallery, I select a photo album, I press menu on my phone and the last item in the menu list says "Hidden Items". Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1377742914126.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	78484
    This suggests to me that there is a way to hide an image within the existing Android 4.1.2 system without the use of third party apps. I've seen where many have suggested several apps that were great, but I just can't get past this simple idea that it is something the stock system can do. I know several years ago in my Blackberry days there was the ability to view the files in the file manager, view the properties of a file and select a checkbox to make that file hidden. Unfortunately, that's not an available option with Android. So does anyone have any ideas here...hackers, developers, anyone???
    FYI...Stock and non-rooted 4.1.2.

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 - SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    08-28-2013 09:38 PM
    Ok, so I've scoured the internet and throughout AC Forums and have not been able to find an answer. I open Gallery, I select a photo album, I press menu on my phone and the last item in the menu list says "Hidden Items". Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1377742914126.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	78484
    This suggests to me that there is a way to hide an image within the existing Android 4.1.2 system without the use of third party apps. I've seen where many have suggested several apps that were great, but I just can't get past this simple idea that it is something the stock system can do. I know several years ago in my Blackberry days there was the ability to view the files in the file manager, view the properties of a file and select a checkbox to make that file hidden. Unfortunately, that's not an available option with Android. So does anyone have any ideas here...hackers, developers, anyone???

Thanks!

I am pretty sure when you go into the app drawer, and click menu, you can select to hide applications. I am not sure if the same can be done for files. Best thing to do is go into file manager and try it. (Can't answer for sure...been about 6 months since I have been completely stock, almost 3 since running even a touchwiz ROM.)
    08-28-2013 09:48 PM
    In any case, it seems to me that if you really want to hide images, you don't want a menu option in the gallery offering to show them to anyone who happens to have your phone....
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    08-29-2013 12:11 PM
    And if true, why not upload them to a cloud storage site, not mobile app, and always sign out?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    08-29-2013 11:44 PM
    I just use KeepSafe, you can also send a picture that will disappear after 20 seconds called Safe Send.
    08-30-2013 11:03 AM
    My point isn't so much that I would need to hide images as it is that why would there be an option in the menu for "hidden items" if there wasn't a way hide them. See the posted screen shot. I just think that it is rather unnecessary to have the option if you can't "hide" anything. So my line of thinking is there's got to be a way to "hide".

09-01-2013 09:40 PM
    Yes. Hiding an app is possible. I currently have some unnecessary and redundant apps hidden. I'm more curious about the individual file. Thanks though.

09-02-2013 08:55 PM
    I'm not sure how to do it without a third party app.

Posted via Samsung S3
    09-02-2013 08:57 PM
    Again, this post isn't about solutions to hiding files. I understand that there is an abundance of apps out there in which to hide files. If that's all I was interested in then this post doesn't even exist. I am interested in the why and how. Please look at the screen shot and ask "Why is that menu item there?" and, How do I give a file a "hidden" attribute so that I could utilize this menu item to reveal hidden files? " Do you follow me now?

Thanks for the input. I do appreciate it.

09-02-2013 09:17 PM
    the one i use is gallery vault-hide videos the best one out right now
    09-03-2013 11:22 AM
    Another KeepSafe user. I love this app. I know that the OP is looking for something within the OS, but if you don't find that, and want to hide things, download that app. It really is a nice app.
    09-03-2013 11:30 AM
    Ok, so I've scoured the internet and throughout AC Forums and have not been able to find an answer. I open Gallery, I select a photo album, I press menu on my phone and the last item in the menu list says "Hidden Items". This suggests to me that there is a way to hide an image within the existing Android 4.1.2 system without the use of third party apps. I've seen where many have suggested several apps that were great, but I just can't get past this simple idea that it is something the stock system can do. I know several years ago in my Blackberry days there was the ability to view the files in the file manager, view the properties of a file and select a checkbox to make that file hidden. Unfortunately, that's not an available option with Android. So does anyone have any ideas here...hackers, developers, anyone???

Thanks!

try scrolling that list/menu
    09-03-2013 03:41 PM
    Thanks.

09-05-2013 09:35 PM
    I have a file that I hide and keep pictures in it that I want no one to see but me. The way I do it is I go to MY FILES in the app section and usually go to my ext.sd and create a new file. What ever you name it put a (DOT) in front of it that will hide the file. If you want to see the files click on menu / settings / show hidden files. It will be there.. To hide just uncheck show hidden files
    Thats how I do it
    Juvie83 likes this.
    09-08-2013 04:53 PM
    Hi

My new Samsung Note 8.0 has the option "Hide Items"-it doesn't seem to do anything. To hide: first you must "Select item". Then try the menu again and you can "Hide Items" selected.

Now..how to view Hidden Items? Anyone know?
    10-31-2013 02:01 AM
    THIS IS THE ANSWER: You can only hide pictures that are stored on the phone's internal memory. You do this by long-holding the picture to select it, then clicking the menu button. Not sure why this can't be done with pictures on the memory card....
    01-21-2014 10:02 PM
    How to do this was mentioned in OPs first post. Click the menu button while in the Gallery app, and click Hidden Items
    01-21-2014 10:04 PM
    I faced same problem. But your answer was the solution.
    thnx
    10-04-2015 07:20 AM