Dropped phone, screen doesn't work. What repair kit do I need?

scottlindner

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I swore I would never drop my phone. After years of never dropping one today was the day that I did. Oops!

I want to repair it myself but there are so many parts that are similar and different that I want to be sure I order the proper product so I don't further regret this accident. Some pixels do display but very very dark. Sometimes they are blurred like an old CRT that isn't focused. There is a bright white corner. When I try the unlock pattern on teh touch screen it does not work. I can boot into recovery and navigate and reboot. When I look through the glass there does appear to be a spot that isn't the glass that is physically broken.

I see products like "glass", "LCD", "Digitizer", "Frame", etc. Can someone help me understand what I need for my Sprint Galaxy S3?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The screen is actually glued to the front of the digitizer. There are ways to replace just one of then but it is very risky to separate them. Even done by professionals, there is still a rather large chance for error.

Your best bet would be to replace them both at the same time. I'm not sure what website to go to, but make sure you get the LCD/digitizer combo, they are already glued into one unit. And I'm pretty sure once you get the phone disassembled, its just plug and play with a ribbon cable.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

Yes that is what you need. That price is great. It's $20 cheaper than I have been able to find.

Ok, here are two youtube videos on how to accomplish the repair. The first is dis-assembly, the second is assembly. The best I have seen on the subject and entertaining at the same time.

Tear down

Assembly

After watching these you will see how really easy it is... Just take your time.

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered a new screen and a kit to my phone from blue to white all for $25. There are videos to walk you through the entire process on You Tube. I bought the glass for $5 and will separate from the digitizer with a hair dryer (taking precautions not to overheat other parts). You can also buy glass with digitizer for more. The casing with buttons cost me $15 and then I got a tool kit. I had dropped mine cracking the screen and damaging the casing. I'd always wanted the white but was impatient to wait on backorder list when I got the phone. So I'm excited to switch it out.

Posted via Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Good luck. Separating and reattaching the digitizer doesn't seem to go well for many, but if it doesn't work out at least you haven't spent a lot of money.

scottlindner

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I ordered a different replacement LCD and digitizer so i could get the same Pebble Blue that I have now. The product I bought came with everything but the microSD slot and the circuit board. The repair was trivial. Thanks for those videos. I watched them twice. Although I only had to do 1/3 of what was in them, they really are great for walking you through the process. My phone is all good now!

My only trouble with the whole thing was reprovisioning my phone. I could do voice and SMS but no data. I had to update my profile but that requires data. It took me a while to figure it out, but I jumped on WiFi, updated the profile, and voila, all was right in the world.

Thanks again everyone. You really helped.

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a different replacement LCD and digitizer so i could get the same Pebble Blue that I have now. The product I bought came with everything but the microSD slot and the circuit board. The repair was trivial. Thanks for those videos. I watched them twice. Although I only had to do 1/3 of what was in them, they really are great for walking you through the process. My phone is all good now!

My only trouble with the whole thing was reprovisioning my phone. I could do voice and SMS but no data. I had to update my profile but that requires data. It took me a while to figure it out, but I jumped on WiFi, updated the profile, and voila, all was right in the world.

Thanks again everyone. You really helped.

Very glad to hear it. :thumbup:

Sent From The Galaxy VIA Subspace

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks