1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Strange Wi-Fi problem

On my home Wi-Fi network I have a strange problem that only seems to affect Google apps. Basically they have no connectivity. Hangouts can't send or receive, YouTube can't load videos, Google+ cannot load data. I can send texts, browse the web fine though. Sometimes but not always the play store will not work either. Other app that connect to the internet work fine such as the awesome android central app. If I turn off Wi-Fi and use 3G, it works. The only way I can get it working is to reboot the phone. I had switched to cyanogen mod 10.1 and never encountered this problem on my S3 so it's not some kind of hardware problem. At first i thought it was a problem with the Wi-Fi but i don't have any problems with my nexus 7 or iPad on the same network or even at the same time my S3 doesn't work.

Has anyone else seen this before or have any ideas?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Strange Wi-Fi problem

Yes I have and for some odd reason resetting the router fixed the problem...p.s are you using a airwave

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Not using an airave, just an airport extreme router. Resetting the router/cable modem makes no difference either.

Global Posts
    13,973 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Paterick View Post
    Not using an airave, just an airport extreme router. Resetting the router/cable modem makes no difference either.
    When you flashed the ROM, did you fully wipe the device? Cache, factory reset, Dalvik?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yes, I fully wiped everything. I had the problem before I tried CyanogenMod. I tried another Sprint GS3 that has never been rooted/flashed and it has the same problem. Also tried a Sprint S4 and it worked fine. It's weird in that it only affects Google apps and not anything else.

Yes, I fully wiped everything. I had the problem before I tried CyanogenMod. I tried another Sprint GS3 that has never been rooted/flashed and it has the same problem. Also tried a Sprint S4 and it worked fine. It's weird in that it only affects Google apps and not anything else.
    Well, if it's across 2 gs3's but not a gs4 and not when using 3g I would guess you have some sort of router problem. Is the router a recent addition or upgrade? Have you made any recent changes to the routers settings? Perhaps a reset to factory settings on the router and setting it up again might help...

The thing that seems weird to me is not the Google app issue it's the 2 gs3's.

I wonder if the s3's have some setting in common causing this odd issue.

Sent From The Galaxy VIA Subspace
    Sent From The 3rd Galaxy Via Subspace

what version of android are your sgs3's no right now? please give more detail about the 2 devices.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Latest version from Sprint - MD4.

Latest version from Sprint - MD4.
    allow me to rephrase the question... are you using 4.1.1 or 4.1.2?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

MD4 is 4.1.2

I have the same problem, started after the 4.1.2 update. also if I keep hitting the Retry option it will eventually work. only effects google apps.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I just tried uninstalling the Google+ App updates and going back to the factory default version. Google+ started working over Wi-Fi. Then I tried to download the update from the Play store and could not update with Wi-Fi enabled. The Play store was unable to connect until I disabled Wi-Fi. It can't be the Wi-Fi connection because my Nexus 7 and iPad connect with no issues. After updating and turning Wi-Fi back on, it seems to be working.

I don't know if this fixed it. Will see if it happens again.