Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark Pouliot
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen Sharing / Mirroring from Galaxy S3 to Galaxy Tab 3 10.1

What I want to do is apparently simple, but none of the apps state the answer to the main question that I have.
    My S3 has UNLIMITED DATA and i do NOT want to use it as a hotspot and connect my Tablet via WiFi.
    I want to share the screen of my galaxy s3 (say I'm watching Netflix or HULU on the S3) and I want to watch it on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 also...but here is the catch...I do NOT want to draw data on the tablet, only data from the S3. If I can do it with a micro-usb cable, that would be OK with me too. I just want to be able to share the screen from the S3 to the tablet, only using the data from the S3. Help Please????

Global Posts
    13,895 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Screen Sharing / Mirroring from Galaxy S3 to Galaxy Tab 3 10.1

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pouliot View Post
    What I want to do is apparently simple, but none of the apps state the answer to the main question that I have.
    My S3 has UNLIMITED DATA and i do NOT want to use it as a hotspot and connect my Tablet via WiFi.
    I want to share the screen of my galaxy s3 (say I'm watching Netflix or HULU on the S3) and I want to watch it on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 also...but here is the catch...I do NOT want to draw data on the tablet, only data from the S3. If I can do it with a micro-usb cable, that would be OK with me too. I just want to be able to share the screen from the S3 to the tablet, only using the data from the S3. Help Please????
    Welcome to the forums!
    I haven't used this feature on Samsung devices, but have you looked at the AllShare app?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Sounds like a weird use for the tablet, but hey, who am I to judge, right? Basically what you want to do is use your tablet as a mirrored monitor for your phone. Unfortunately, ShareCast (or Link or S-whateveritisthatSamsungiscallingitnow) only works from the phone or tablet to a SmartTV on the same WiFi network. There MIGHT be an app that could let you share the screen with other devices, though... sort of like setting up a VNC server on your phone and running the client on your tablet. maybe this app can help:

I also found another called "ScreenShare" but that seems to share only specific media files like photos and video, not exactly screen mirroring.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks, but the " Make sure your Android device and the PC connect to the same WiFi network." kinda defeats the purpose, as this suggests that the TABLET will be drawing data.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

PS...why is that a WIERD use for the tablet??
    jimsfault likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pouliot View Post
    Thanks, but the " Make sure your Android device and the PC connect to the same WiFi network." kinda defeats the purpose, as this suggests that the TABLET will be drawing data.
    I'm not sure I understand your concern about drawing data over wifi. There are no charges associate with WiFi between two local devices. Your carrier won't even know about it.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

As I am driving down the highway with an 8yr old in the back seat watching a movie on Netflix, there are no available WiFi networks for 1200 continuous miles...lol
    That's why the concern as I have a 3GB data plan using the Sprint Hotspot feature and one FLIX will easily eat that up...lol
    I have UNLIMITED DATA on the phone so there will not be a DATA issue if i share/mirror the phone screen.
    Last edited by Mark Pouliot; 09-24-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Right, so if your tablet is sharing the screen through through Wifi, and your phone is connected through 3G or 4G, it's your phone that's using wireless data, not the tablet. The tethering plan isn't involved at all.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Ooooh, sorry, it just sounded on the OP like you had WiFi available but didn't wanna draw data from there. Your specific need does make a lot of sense actually.

I believe you can connect 'to the same network' using WiFi Direct. This creates a local network between devices without the need for a router.

OP, were you ever able to figure this out? I'd like to be able to mirror my Galaxy s4 to my Nexus 7 or Asus Infinity t700 (or both would be even better!)

Pda net....in the app store

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Screen Sharing / Mirroring from Galaxy S3 to Galaxy Tab 3 10.1-uploadfromtaptalk1390950719997.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S3

My question is sort of along these lines.

Blackberry had an app that was called blackberry connect...bottom line, when you got home, initialize blackberry connect and your phone becomes a paper weight...

All of the phones functions are now available on the blackberry playbook...email...msg'ing...phone...etc.
    therefore only one device has all function on it. and you can control media, contacts etc from the tablet.

vice versa...you can hook the playbook up to a monitor...and your phone acts as a useable interface with the playbook. Cursor control...function control etc.

Is there an app or a way to make this happen with my Galaxy S3 and my Tab 3 8.0?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.