Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By meyerweb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Quick questions about rooting

All rooting is is enabling access to previously protected areas, right? There's no change really, you still have your stock interface, Touchwiz I guess for the GS3?

If so, what do you do after you root? What if I want the next version of Android (I apologize if it's called something else)? How would I put it on my phone? Can someone give me a link to other popular interfaces? (Again, terminology evades me). I'm looking more into Cyanogen(?) and things like that, so I may answer my own question, but I haven't been able to so far.

One last one, does this persons rooting directions seem legitimate to you?
    He lists instructions in the description box and it seems really easy, which makes me hesitant. Easy is better so I have less chance to screw it up, but I don't want to fail because someone left out a step.

Default Re: Quick questions about rooting

You should read up on the root process before proceeding! You could brick your phone and it would become totally useless!
    I can lead you thru it but watch this video first.
    Known to some as Euphorian

QBKing77.com "Your tech simplified"
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes, I've been reading about it for quite some time and I think I'm just about ready to do it, I just want to find the easiest working way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumos View Post
    All rooting is is enabling access to previously protected areas, right? There's no change really, you still have your stock interface, Touchwiz I guess for the GS3?
    That's correct. But I second KevLar's comment, above. Each carrier variant of the phone is a bit different, so it's important to make sure you're using a procedure for you exact model of S3. Using procedures and files for the Sprint version on an AT&T phone, for example, can cause severe problems.

If so, what do you do after you root? What if I want the next version of Android (I apologize if it's called something else)? How would I put it on my phone? Can someone give me a link to other popular interfaces? (Again, terminology evades me). I'm looking more into Cyanogen(?) and things like that, so I may answer my own question, but I haven't been able to so far.
    What you do after is really up to you. Some people leave everything stock, and root only so they can run specific apps that require root access (like Titanium Backup), or enable tethering without having to pay their carrier. Some people flash custom ROMs, which can be slightly to heavily modified versions of the stock Touchwiz ROM, or ROMs that are pretty much AOSP ("stock" Android), or heavily modified ROMs based on AOSP. Some people delete "bloatware" apps installed by the carrier or Samsung. (Bloatware defined loosely as anything the phone's owner doesn't use.) Be careful doing this, though, as deleting the wrong apps can cause serious problems.

I would seek recommendations for ROMs rather than settling on CM simply because it's the best known. CM is not the most stable ROM on the Galaxy S3, I don't think. Search the Sprint rooting forum, and you'll find recommendations for some reliable ROMs. Or start a new thread and ask again.

One last one, does this persons rooting directions seem legitimate to you?
    He lists instructions in the description box and it seems really easy, which makes me hesitant. Easy is better so I have less chance to screw it up, but I don't want to fail because someone left out a step.
    That rooting method is pretty standard, but that video is missing key information, like which files to download and run with Odin. There must be a part one with that information and the prior steps you need to take.

I know that this one works, is reliable, and easy, and more detailed and complete than that video you linked:
    I personally recommend anything Skunkape has done. He knows what he's talking about.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
    Lumos 
    mobdad and Super Dave426 like this.