Widgets, folders, labels, etc.

MrJayTheTiger

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Everyone is new sometime. That's me. I have several puzzles:

1. Apparently, widgets cannot be place in a folder? When I try, the folder just moves away.

2. files (pictures, videos, and others) can be renamed. But for pictures and videos, I can find no way to DISPLAY the names.

3. Can widgets be renamed? More specifiaclly, I have a widget (apparently created by EZOff app) with no label (title) underneath. Can something be edited
put a title on a widget?

4. Are widgets (and apps) on the home screen really just shortcuts to the underlying apps or widgets?

5. The The displayed icon for videos seems to change sometimes (like if one moves it to a different folder). This icon is usually NOT
the first frame of the video. Huh?? Can this displayed icon be made to be ANY frame in the video?

Arrgh. That'll get this started. I can be much more specific if more detail is needed.

Thanks ..
- Jay -

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

1. Apparently, widgets cannot be place in a folder? When I try, the folder just moves away.

No, widgets are meant to be on the homescreen only (and possibly the lockscreen).

2. files (pictures, videos, and others) can be renamed. But for pictures and videos, I can find no way to DISPLAY the names.

You can't do this on the stock Gallery, which is a fairly barebones app. You could try using a 3rd party file manager app like ES File Explorer, which will show you thumbnail previews of photos with the filename underneath.

3. Can widgets be renamed? More specifiaclly, I have a widget (apparently created by EZOff app) with no label (title) underneath. Can something be edited
put a title on a widget?

This is not possible with basic Android. If you use a 3rd party launcher like Nova Launcher (which simply replaces your phone's native launcher until you want to switch back), you can edit app and folder names, but I don't think you can add a name to a widget.

4. Are widgets (and apps) on the home screen really just shortcuts to the underlying apps or widgets?

Icons for the apps on a homescreen are just shortcuts, so if you remove the shortcut from the homescreen, you are not actually uninstalling that app. Widgets, on the other hand, are little programs in themselves that can show information that periodically refreshes (like a weather widget) or can perform a function (like a widget that toggles wifi on or off). Widgets can be standalone, or they can be part of an actual app--in the latter case, tapping some part of the widget often will launch the full app.

Not sure about #5.

MrJayTheTiger

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm slightly confused, but I'll try a file manager and another "launcher" and see if I can un-confuse myself. What, exactly, IS a launcher? Is it kind of a user interface that
allows access to the underlying operating system? If that's it, then I understand how different launchers can provide different features.

Thanks for answering so quickly.

It still makes no sense to me that I can edit picture and video names but I can't get them to display anywhere. Why have one without the other? I wonder
if there's a little-known sneaky setting somewhere.

- Jay -

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm slightly confused, but I'll try a file manager and another "launcher" and see if I can un-confuse myself. What, exactly, IS a launcher? Is it kind of a user interface that
allows access to the underlying operating system? If that's it, then I understand how different launchers can provide different features.

Thanks for answering so quickly.

It still makes no sense to me that I can edit picture and video names but I can't get them to display anywhere. Why have one without the other? I wonder
if there's a little-known sneaky setting somewhere.

- Jay -

A launcher is exactly a user interface. It changes how you interact with the phone. A different launcher can open more options for customizing.
I don't understand #5 either....but if you can post a screenshot, maybe that will help to clarify.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
For a launcher, look at Nova Launcher and Go Launcher. Both are very popular. and have free versions so you can see what you like without having to spend any money.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae