Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Group Messaging

I have a quick question. On my previous phones that I had I was able to do group messaging and recieve them in the same message thread kind of like the iPhone. I can send them out in a group but instead i receive individual messages back and then when responding back it only goes to the one person unless i back out of the message and open the other and send it back through the big group one. Can anyone help me out and fix this issue. ?

ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: Group Messaging

Leroyepperson,

I'm glad you asked this question. For awhile I had gone through a handful of SMS replacement apps looking for something to provide this functionality. I tried Chomp, Handcent, GoSMS and the like. I really never liked them. They felt over manufactured and the feature sent went WAY beyond what I needed. Yesterday I was surfing around on my iPad (since I'm sure you are dying to know everything that led up to this, but still). Anywho, I was reading up on the Nexus 5 where a discussion regarding using Hangouts as the SMS app came up. Some posters suggested a couple of other SMS apps to use instead. They noted 8SMS and Textra. I started with 8SMS from the developers of Cyanogen. Thought it worked really good, clean, did what I wanted. I didn't like the way messages were stacked. Enter Textra. Downloaded yesterday afternoon, clean interface, easy set up and handled a group message with an iPhone 4 (iOS6) iPhone 5S (iOS7) and a Galaxy S4 flawlessly. You use it in place of the messaging app (but still uses the standard protocol for sending/receiving messages). I couldn't be happier. I disabled the notifications in my stock app and couldn't be happier. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. It's also free.

Jeff
    Nexus 5, Galaxy S3, Epic 4G Touch, Photon, Evo, Pre, Moto Q, Curve, PPC-6700, just to name a few
    I've been borderline addicting to getting new cell phones since 1998

ROM
    MOAR 9

I tried 8sms also, but there was something that was missing so moved on to Textra and have been rocking ever since. Has had 3 updates since and just keeps getting better. I remember, for one 8sms can't send MMS over wifi, always had to switch over to 3 or 4G and then back. Textra has the ability, just have to check a box in settings.
    HTC One (M8) Stock For Now.
    David
    Nexus Ninja

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

With the Google Hangout update in the Play store now, you should give it a try. It's awesome for general group chats that you can leave open all the time and now it has the added SMS/MMS feature. It works quite well.
    Palm Treo 700w ~> Palm Treo 700wx ~> Blackberry Storm 9530 ~> Motorola Droid X ~> Samsung Galaxy Nexus ~> HTC Evo 4G LTE ~> Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by captain_dl View Post
    With the Google Hangout update in the Play store now, you should give it a try. It's awesome for general group chats that you can leave open all the time and now it has the added SMS/MMS feature. It works quite well.
    The new hangouts app works perfect for group messaging

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app

Just wondering if using Textra your friends need the app as well?

ROM
    MOAR 9

Quote Originally Posted by Coop_Snipe22 View Post
    Just wondering if using Textra your friends need the app as well?
    No, it is a messaging app that you use instead of the stock or built in, does not effect the recipient.
    HTC One (M8) Stock For Now.
    David

I used to have trouble with that also. But, since the most recent update, I can group message with the standard Messaging feature and receive the responses all in the same thread.

Which is the box you need to check in settings to make this work?

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by mastro42 View Post
    Which is the box you need to check in settings to make this work?
    If you're referring to the stock Messaging app, there's a 'Group conversations' checkbox - that will cause multiple recipient MMS to be sent to the group rather than individually. Is that the problem you're having?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Is there a way to leave a group text so your phone doesn't blow up with replies in Textra?

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app
    LG G3
    Surface RT

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Welcome to the forums!If you're referring to the stock Messaging app, there's a 'Group conversations' checkbox - that will cause multiple recipient MMS to be sent to the group rather than individually. Is that the problem you're having?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Bingo! On my ATT Note 2 running Kit Kat, if I am in the stock messaging app and click "settings" , there is a "group messaging" box I can check. I think this is a new feature with Kit Kat. In the past, group messaging wasn't an option with the stock app.