1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Fear of improper rooting! please help!

Hello, so I managed to follow the instructions of this root here:

I even did some additional steps, such as unchecking autoreboot. Rootchecker says 'unrooted'.

Busybox gives me the error:

There was problem opening the shell with root access. This is either being caused by superuser/super su or by a device that is improperly rooted. Is there a way I can solve this before something bad happens to my phone? If I want to reattempt this, is there any files I should delete?

I am very new to rooting and need some info ASAP! This place has helped me before, so I appriciate it!

Default Re: Fear of improper rooting! please help!

Since your posting in this forum, I'm going to assume you're on sprint. If not, do NOT follow this guide.

But i would clear your caches, preform a factory reset, and follow this guide exactly. It worked for me and has been one of the greatest guides I've seen for the S3. Keep posting if you get stuck.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I would like to avoid performing a factory reset. The sole purpose of my rooting isn't to flash ROMS, but to download Titanium Backup. Is there a way to do this method without performing a factory reset? I already have Superuser and all of the other steps from the failed root.

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi V1.1 - KitKat 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by bxbshingo View Post
    I would like to avoid performing a factory reset. The sole purpose of my rooting isn't to flash ROMS, but to download Titanium Backup. Is there a way to do this method without performing a factory reset? I already have Superuser and all of the other steps from the failed root.
    Look for D2SPR CFAutoRoot for Sprint Galaxy S3 it works like a charm all you do is flash it through ODIN and its done, worked for me like a charm (Stock Rom 4.1.2)
    Do not question the words I type, question the reply you are typing at this moment...

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi V1.1 - KitKat 4.4.2

Here for Sprint Galaxy S 3
    Do not question the words I type, question the reply you are typing at this moment...

You can certainly try to do it and only wipe your dalvik and cache partitions, but you may end up with some unpleasant results. I had an issue the first time I rooted my GS3, but it was related to the custom recovery. The only way I was able to fully resolve it was to factory reset, return to stock, and start from scratch.

I can understand not wanting to factory reset if you haven't had a chance to backup your stuff though, but once you get your device properly rooted you have a lot more freedom and less worry of losing information because you can backup all of your apps.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by MaXXimus View Post
    You can certainly try to do it and only wipe your dalvik and cache partitions, but you may end up with some unpleasant results. I had an issue the first time I rooted my GS3, but it was related to the custom recovery. The only way I was able to fully resolve it was to factory reset, return to stock, and start from scratch.

I can understand not wanting to factory reset if you haven't had a chance to backup your stuff though, but once you get your device properly rooted you have a lot more freedom and less worry of losing information because you can backup all of your apps.
    I would like to avoid this at all costs. There is a way without wiping ANYTHING, even cache, right? Like an unroot?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by SebasCvdB View Post
    Here for Sprint Galaxy S 3
    can I do this after a failed root with stuff like Superuser and Busybox etc already on my phone?

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi V1.1 - KitKat 4.4.2

can I do this after a failed root with stuff like Superuser and Busybox etc already on my phone?
    Yes this CF Autoroot will install Superuser and busybox.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Yes this CF Autoroot will install Superuser and busybox.
    Ok. My phone is fine, but Superuser and BusyBox are already on my phone. This is ok to run even after the original root didn't work? I can do this on top of that failed root without rerooting?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

The bootloader is still locked, and I don't want to brick it...and also the previous root is already there. I just need assurance that running this CF autoroot over the failed root is ok.

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi V1.1 - KitKat 4.4.2

There is no locked bootloader on the Samsung to my knowledge... Or you're talking about the Qualcomm Secureboot?? That's enabled on mine too used CF Autoroot just fine. What do you mean failed root? I mean you just plain downloaded SuperUser & Busybox from the Play store?? That doesn't work that would be too easy.

What you could do is flash the correct ODIN flash from here and than run CF Autoroot. The Flash file in the thread will just put stock rom unrooted on your phone and even reset your flash counter. That way you have a fresh clean start.

In my opinion you should probably refrain from rooting right now because you are already questioning yourself, I don't mean that in a mean way but I don't want you to brick your phone either. I personally know CF Autoroot works cause I used it myself but it's more for your own safety. Browse around on and you'll find enough people courteous enough to help you with any problems you might have.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

There is no locked bootloader on the Samsung to my knowledge... Or you're talking about the Qualcomm Secureboot?? That's enabled on mine too used CF Autoroot just fine. What do you mean failed root? I mean you just plain downloaded SuperUser & Busybox from the Play store?? That doesn't work that would be too easy.

What you could do is flash the correct ODIN flash from here and than run CF Autoroot. The Flash file in the thread will just put stock rom unrooted on your phone and even reset your flash counter. That way you have a fresh clean start.

In my opinion you should probably refrain from rooting right now because you are already questioning yourself, I don't mean that in a mean way but I don't want you to brick your phone either. I personally know CF Autoroot works cause I used it myself but it's more for your own safety. Browse around on and you'll find enough people courteous enough to help you with any problems you might have.
    I have the stuff installed from the link in the first post of the thread. I did all the steps including the TAR file, and it says not rooted. I'm just asking if shutting down my phone in it's current state and running CF Autoroot over what's there now would be safe and fine.

You have helped me much before and I appreciate your time and effort. : )

I would like to avoid this at all costs. There is a way without wiping ANYTHING, even cache, right? Like an unroot?
    There is nothing to fear from wiping cache or Dalvik. Dalvik will be recreated on the first boot, and cache will be recreated by each program as needed. And you won't lose any data at all.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

ROM
    MOAR 9

The bootloader is still locked, and I don't want to brick it...and also the previous root is already there. I just need assurance that running this CF autoroot over the failed root is ok.
    If you have a locked bootloader I have to ask, is your phone a Sprint phone? I am aware of Verizon locking their bootloader, but not Sprint. And if you are on a different network then you need to go that part of the forum and use those instructions. Using a different carrier's ROM or Root can ruin your phone.
    Galaxy S3 running MOAR Official v9.0. 50+ Mods Morphology 3.9.14

David