4.3 Update for Sprint Galaxy S3 has Arrived

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The international and NA ROMS are very different. The i9300 ROM rollout was stopped before Sprint's began, and its problems didn't impact the NA rollout.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Still no update in Maryland...WTF!! Everyone else around me with S3's has the update.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

With all the people with little glitches here and there, and you are pissed that you didn't get the update yet, knowing that you may not be able to take full advantage of root? You are a brave man! A Very Brave Man Indeed! :D

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Not a chance. First, my phone is so totally hacked there's not a chance the OTA would actually succeed. Second, I want nothing to do with the Knox bootloader, even if it might actually be useful at work. And third, I'm not going to give up the goodness of my custom ROM (MOAR 6.1) for stock 4.3.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
meyerweb,

You are a funny guy! You gave me a good laugh today - still laughing - as I said above, all of these posters are very brave when all the different threads here are showing small problems here and there - they are very brave! :D

I use to be that way, but I need my daily driver to do some actual work - no time to play and fix and tweak that much anymore - I think I remember you from the Palm Treo days - I think your avatar was some chick (with a thong) on the back of a motorcycle?

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
So...are these problems showing up when everything is stock? I don't care about rooting or flashing. My customization all occurs in the launcher and surface-level stuff.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
So...are these problems showing up when everything is stock? I don't care about rooting or flashing. My customization all occurs in the launcher and surface-level stuff.

Yes - Sprint 4.3 OTA problems are on completely "Stock" phones. In fact the OTA will "un-root" your phone if you are "rooted" - most problems though can be fixed, but yes there are glitches and it depends on your phone - not all stock phones are created equal.

My phone was 99.8% not rooted stock except for one tiny mod and the OTA would not install - as I understand you have to be completely stock before it will install - although it might install on a completely stock and rooted phone.

Last edited:

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes - Sprint 4.3 OTA problems are on completely "Stock" phones. In fact the OTA will "un-root" your phone if you are "rooted" - most problems though can be fixed, but yes there are glitches and it depends on your phone - not all stock phones are created equal.

My phone was 99.8% not rooted stock except for one tiny mod and the OTA would not install - as I understand you have to be completely stock before it will install - although it might install on a completely stock and rooted phone.

I'm not rooted and I've kinda lost interest in bothering with it. Just wanted to know if these glitches and issues showed up in G3s that are completely stock and unrooted or if the problems were unique to devices that had been tweaked that way.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not rooted and I've kinda lost interest in bothering with it. Just wanted to know if these glitches and issues showed up in G3s that are completely stock and unrooted or if the problems were unique to devices that had been tweaked that way.

I don't know if I explained it correctly but in "your specific question", yes it can cause problems and glitches on your stock phone - some of the problems can be fixed some can't - depends on your "stock phone" - not all "stock phones" are created equal.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
meyerweb,

You are a funny guy! You gave me a good laugh today - still laughing - as I said above, all of these posters are very brave when all the different threads here are showing small problems here and there - they are very brave! :D

I use to be that way, but I need my daily driver to do some actual work - no time to play and fix and tweak that much anymore - I think I remember you from the Palm Treo days - I think your avatar was some chick (with a thong) on the back of a motorcycle?

LOL. That was me, and my avatar, on Treo Central. In fact, it was my avatar here for a couple of years, until some tight-$$$ decided it wasn't family-friendly.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
LOL. That was me, and my avatar, on Treo Central. In fact, it was my avatar here for a couple of years, until some tight-$$$ decided it wasn't family-friendly.

Palm Treo modding - the good old days! :D I have to agree, the avatar was (as I say to the my young-on's) rather "risky" :D

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I finally got the notification of the upgrade. I've heard that there's still issues, but from what I've been reading, nothing major. I could care less about rooting so Knox isn't a big deal.

Should I update? Or not? Thoughts or opinions?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using TapaTalk Pro

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
anyone have good instructions for returning to stock so I can get update. TIA

Are you rooted with CWM or TWRP recovery? If so, you can update without unrooting, and without installing the Knox bootloader. See:

[STOCK ROM] Stock 4.3 MK3 ROM [ROOTED/UNROOTED] - xda-developers

and [ROM MK3 ROOTED] SPHL710 All In One Installer [ODEX/DEODEX] - xda-developers

But if you really want the OTA, and all the limitations that come with Knox, I've used this to unroot several times (assuming you're on Sprint):

forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii-rooting-roms-hacks/337722-possible-method-root-4-3-a-2.html#post3316290

This will put you back to ICS, so you'll almost immediately get OTAs for the two JB releases, followed eventually by the OTA for 4.3.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I'm not, but then rooting matters to me. My suggestion is to read through these forums and decide for yourself. There are lots of threads dealing with both the benefits and issues. The issues (other than Knox) all seem to have fixes, although sometimes a factory reset has been recommended.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Okay, I finally got the notification of the upgrade. I've heard that there's still issues, but from what I've been reading, nothing major. I could care less about rooting so Knox isn't a big deal.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using TapaTalk Pro

I didn't, in fact, my phone runs so well that I rooted it to do a "no nag screen mod" so I wouldn't have to update. In "my case", I asked myself, why mess with something that works so well and is not broken and does everything I want.

I say the above because from what I have read, 4.3 isn't that huge of an upgrade for me in the things that I was looking for. So I am happy where I am at. I am glad I am rooted though, so many cool apps you can have and some of the ones I use right now gain even more flexibility. For me rooted and stock is best for me with a few tweaks here and there. Maybe if 4.4 ever comes to my device, or maybe a new phone?

Just my .02 as you asked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34