4.3 Update for Sprint Galaxy S3 has Arrived

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I too did download the update, but after researching the root issue...decided to hold off. I'm really thinking of sidestepping this completely and putting another ROM on there, calling it a day.

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
They will find a way to root it and what not just be patient and keep an eye out on XDA... 4.3 has been great so far can't complain.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Well, I finally decided to give the XDA file update link a go - I tried renaming the file and leaving as it is - I tried putting the file on the SD card in both the root directory and in a folder I had made a while back called OTA updates - neither worked - I got to the point where after I select the *.zip file, I get a small triangle with a red exclamation point in it - it gives a small error to quick for me to read and then boots me back into my "completely stock non root system" again.

Question, I have a 32gb internal memory GS3 with an external 64gb SanDisk card and everything works perfect - could the problem be that the SanDisk 64gb card is a extfat format file system? And if it is then I can put the *.zip file on another card that is a normal fat32 file format. That is the only thing I can think of besides a corrupt DL, but I also DL'd the same file from another location and everything looks good (yes I know file name and size matching is not for sure), I can wait for the OTA update, but was curious if it is the card format properties could be the problem - what do you guys think?

As a note some users have had problems with their phone or other device not recognizing the SanDisk 64gb cards using the default extfat until they reformatted to fat32 - I also have a Note 10.1, 16gb internal and have a SanDisk 64gb ext cards with ext fat and I have never had a problem with either phone or tablet working with the default file format. Any ideas?

Thanks!

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I had that problem the first time. .... to correct it I just dl'd directly to root directory of sd. And it worked.
I don't know why but moving the file around seemed to cause that problem for me

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I had that problem the first time. .... to correct it I just dl'd directly to root directory of sd. And it worked.
I don't know why but moving the file around seemed to cause that problem for me

ok - I DL'd direct to my ext card - I will try that after I try the below first, because I think I did that once before

I think the file should be on the internal SD, not the external card.

I think I did that before - I will give it a try - at least there will be no format question - thanks to both of you

EDIT: I tried again from my external card with a fresh DL and no joy - tried to find where it was on my internal card while I was in recovery and couldn't find a choice to do so from the internal card - it did say install from cache, but I can't save or move *.zip to cache folder because I don't permission as I am not rooted. Oh well, maybe this a sign that I should wait for the OTA or give it one more try from a fat32 card.

EDIT2: I tried an old 4gb fat32 class 6 card - no joy - it is a sign! :'( - I need to wait for OTA - hopefully that will work and I won't have any glitches when it comes - I mean come on now, I am stock GS3 - but to be honest I am perfectly happy with 4.1.2 as my phone does everything I want and is rock solid - can't ask for more - well, maybe it could be just a tad faster so I can move at light speed! :D

Last edited:

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
ok - I DL'd direct to my ext card - I will try that after I try the below first, because I think I did that once before

I think I did that before - I will give it a try - at least there will be no format question - thanks to both of you

EDIT: I tried again from my external card with a fresh DL and no joy - tried to find where it was on my internal card while I was in recovery and couldn't find a choice to do so from the internal card - it did say install from cache, but I can't save or move *.zip to cache folder because I don't permission as I am not rooted. Oh well, maybe this a sign that I should wait for the OTA or give it one more try from a fat32 card.

Lol maybe it's a sign

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
x893

see my post above - it is a sign - some of us are blessed and some not - I guess I have been evil sometime in my life! :-[

Lol. .... I just don't get why so many folks running stock are having these problems. It literally took me 15mins and then an hour of tweaking.
I will say that after the update and tweaking it is NOTICEABLY faster.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
x893 - do/did you have to have anything in the: settings > security > unknown sources - checked or unchecked?

Cause I want faster! :D

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, any of the successful updates to MK4, is your GS3 a 16gb internal or 32gb internal - basically anyone here that was successful have the SG3 32gb version?

The reason I ask, is because when I was doing a silent shutter mod using billard412's hack - he had a version for 16gb and a different version for a 32gb GS3.

Thanks

g0dchaser

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere on one of these threads where someone mentioned the possibility of the update being suspended or something. Thankfully not the case... Guess some of us will have to keep waiting, evidently until 19DEC at the most...

Lillian A.: I would like to inform you that From 11/06/13 - 12/19/13, Samsung will push an over-the-air (OTA) software update to L710VPUCMJ9 to Samsung GALAXY S III devices. Not all customers will receive it at the same time.
Lillian A.: So please do not worry , you will get the update automatically on your phone.
You: ok thanks.. I'm aware of a few issues and wanted to make sure Sprint did not suspend the release.
Lillian A.: Yes, I assure you that you will get the software update very soon.
You: ok thanks.

Crooked Rain

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, any of the successful updates to MK4, is your GS3 a 16gb internal or 32gb internal - basically anyone here that was successful have the SG3 32gb version?

The reason I ask, is because when I was doing a silent shutter mod using billard412's hack - he had a version for 16gb and a different version for a 32gb GS3.

Thanks
It looks like the update won't install if you've applied billard412's hack.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It looks like the update won't install if you've applied billard412's hack.

Ah, that explains it. I hope the OTA update works.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The OTA (any OTA) will probably not work if you've made ANY system level modifications. The update file provided here is exactly the same as the file downloaded during the OTA process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki