s3 dropped in hot tub?

Brett Cipra

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello All, So last night i had dropped my s3 into the hot tub. i scooped it up very quickly and stripped the battery and dried it out. i had it in a bowl of rice for a little more then 12 hours. the Screen is working perfectly fine, but the camera is all blurry ( both facing cameras ) and there is no sound. ringtone or music. but the vibration still works. it looks like there is a little mosture over the camera lenses. Is there anything else i can do? thanks.

Weazrbmxr

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Not now, no. Gonna have to live with it now. Should have left the phone in the rice for about a week. The moisture may dry up a bit and the camera could start looking better, but it's pretty toasted inside. And the reason the speakers and mic don't work, are their most likely clogged up with water and crap.

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Not now, no. Gonna have to live with it now. Should have left the phone in the rice for about a week. The moisture may dry up a bit and the camera could start looking better, but it's pretty toasted inside. And the reason the speakers and mic don't work, are their most likely clogged up with water and crap.

Yep. .... If this happens you gotta leave it in rice or desicants for at least 48 hours. I would take it apart and put it back in for a few days and hope for the best! Good luck!
I learned the hard way too. ... never try to give kids a bath with phone in room lol..... lesson learned :(

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the answers. Now would replacing the speaker assembly fix my audio issues? because i have no media audio or from calls.

Can't say for sure. .... once the current ran through wet components..... who knows what exactly got zapped.
The speaker itself could be fine. .... but everything connected to it fried.
It's a gamble at this point. .... but if you can try it for cheap...might work

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I would yank the battery and put it in rice for another 24 hours and see what happens. I've seen devices that got wet suddenly get dry enough and recover weeks later.

hojo3

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
OK - I Don't know if this will work for anyone else, but 9 months ago I went into a hot tub with my new S3 in my pocket... Was in the tub for about 2 1/2 minutes before I realized it was there. I reached down and felt the phone in my pocket and thought how stupid. The phone was 2 weeks old. I just assumed it was toast and I was going to get my old working phone back. I was in a hotel at the time. I went up to my room, pulled the battery and water poured out. I wasn't even going to try to get it working but thought what the heck. I left the battery out and tried to shake out as much water as I could. I then set it on it's side leaning it against a towel. I put the hotel hair dryer on it for about 20 minutes - high heat, low speed. I went to turn the phone over to do the same on the screen side and the phone was so hot I could hardly handle it. I went ahead and did the other side for 20 more minutes. The whole phone was so hot I had to let it cools before I could handle it at all. I figured it had to have melted all the components inside. After the phone completely cooled in about 45 minutes, I put the battery back in, turn it on and Voila!!! EVERYTHING is working perfectly. Applications, the microphone, earpiece, speakerphone, front and back camera... everything. I was totally shocked. I made calls to and from it. I took front and back side pics with it and they looked just as clear as the first ones taken before the drowning. I figured at least some chlorine would be left in the phone and would eventually eat away at fragile components, but not yet.

As a side note I went online AFTER I heated the phone with the hairdryer and everything I read said don't use a hairdryer as it can damage inside components and blow the water further into the phone - only put it in a bag of rice. I never did put it in rice. At this point, I am glad It all worked out. I don't know if this would be the outcome for anyone else, but after 8 month, it is still working great.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
OK - I Don't know if this will work for anyone else
Welcome to the forums!

The whole 'wet phone' business is a crapshoot; thanks for sharing your experience - that's what makes the forums work!

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech