Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Post Sprint Galaxy S3 - 4.3 Q & A

Making this thread for those that have questions about 4.3 over all, how it runs, battery life, so on. I've been using it for a few days now and i think its time for you guys to pick my brain at it now! Ask away

Liked what I did or helped you out? A simple "thanks" would be great!
    If you want me to reply to you in a quick fashion hit the "reply with quote" or send me a message so it can be done
    Samsung Intercept(retired), HTC Hero(retired), Motorola Atrix 2(game phone"let's see what new ROM I can put on this today"), Samsung Galaxy S3(main phone), Asus Nexus 7(better than my parents iPad)

Default Re: 4.3 Q & A

What do you think of it? I manually updated my phone with the file provided by XDA members recently. Still messing around with settings and getting use to newer stuff. So far I dislike my text messages/phone character icon is annoyingly stupid looking.
    Also what apps do you recommend turning off? I see there's a lot more loaded on with the update.
    I'm a nerd that can squat 500lbs... seriously
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by HULKchampion View Post
    What do you think of it? I manually updated my phone with the file provided by XDA members recently. Still messing around with settings and getting use to newer stuff. So far I dislike my text messages/phone character icon is annoyingly stupid looking.
    Also what apps do you recommend turning off? I see there's a lot more loaded on with the update.
    I turned off the yahoo stuff and most of the Samsung stuff. So far its not that bad honestly once I got used to it(which I still am) but only thing that really bugs me is the fact my gmail always goes off when its set not to and once I get in a building were my service isn't the greatest my battery drains really bad and basically kills my phone

Posted via Android Central App

If you want me to reply to you in a quick fashion hit the "reply with quote" or send me a message so it can be done
    Samsung Intercept(retired), HTC Hero(retired), Motorola Atrix 2(game phone"let's see what new ROM I can put on this today"), Samsung Galaxy S3(main phone), Asus Nexus 7(better than my parents iPad)

So hows the performance (ie lag)? And can I turn off the camera shutter either in settings or mute?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Also is the gpu performance greatly improved (supposed to have updated gpu drivers and opengl 3.0)? Try running 3dmark normal tests or gfxbench t-rex and egypt hd tests and post the scores please.

In addition, does the update install to the internal user memory or on to one of the system partitions such as .data or .system or .firmware? Because I only have 1.2 gb left i heard the update is 700mb+ and you need at least 500mb left in order to install apps other wise it will give an out of space error and the phone will start lagging a lot.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontech97 View Post
    So hows the performance (ie lag)? And can I turn off the camera shutter either in settings or mute?

At first I had a lot of lag but it was just a first boot and I was moving files around. You can turn off the sound but will have to change a value of code in order for it to work. I'll do a test later on and post screens

If your phone is on vibrate or silent, the shutter sound is turned off automatically. I love this feature, it should have been like that all along.

I can't seem to get my flash notification to work , I've turned on motion, but still nothing, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by bkwaisner View Post
    I can't seem to get my flash notification to work , I've turned on motion, but still nothing, any suggestions?
    nevermind, i was using hangouts for my sms app, you have to use a Samsung app for the notifier to work

The lock screen is really confusing now. I used to be able to swipe directly to a new incoming message or missed call. But now I just get the notification but when I press or swipe on it, it doesn't take me to it. It just does some cha cha dance with the bottom of the lock screen.

Quote Originally Posted by gotta have it android View Post
    At first I had a lot of lag but it was just a first boot and I was moving files around. You can turn off the sound but will have to change a value of code in order for it to work. I'll do a test later on and post screens
    You can add a toggle in the camera apps settings menu by editing system/csc/feature.xml. you must be rooted and use an app such as es file explorer. make sure file explorer has root rights enabled in it's settings.
    navigate to system/csc/. open feature.xml for editing. Scoll down to:

- <!-- Camera -->
    <CscFeature_Camera_DisableGPSMenu>false</CscFeature_Camera_DisableGPSMenu>
    <CscFeature_Camera_DefaultStorage>phone</CscFeature_Camera_DefaultStorage>
    <CscFeature_Camera_DefaultQuality>superfine</CscFeature_Camera_DefaultQuality>
    <CscFeature_Camcorder_DefaultQuality>superfine</CscFeature_Camcorder_DefaultQuality>
    <CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>false</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>
    and change false to true.
    <CscFeature_Camcorder_DoNotPauseMusic>false</CscFeature_Camcorder_DoNotPauseMusic>
    <CscFeature_Camera_CameraFlicker>60hz</CscFeature_Camera_CameraFlicker>

I also enabled camera during call on my phone. Again change false to true.
    <CscFeature_Camera_EnableCameraDuringCall>false</CscFeature_Camera_EnableCameraDuringCall>

Save and reboot. When you open your camera app, open it's settings and you will see an option: Shutter Sound On/Off
    Hope this helps you out.
    Last edited by jhill110; 11-28-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    Sent From The 3rd Galaxy Via Subspace

So before I update via kies, is there any issues and bugs I should know about? Like music player detecting only files in music folder on internal storage or any lagging on home screen and lockscreen?

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

That's what I also did while I was in the file
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill110 View Post
    I also enabled camera during call on my phone. Again change false to true.
    <CscFeature_Camera_EnableCameraDuringCall>false</CscFeature_Camera_EnableCameraDuringCall>

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

You should know you will lose root thanks to Knox. i Havent really seen any lag on home and lockscreen. Haven't noticed the music folder since i dont have any on my phone(i just use my ipod and Pandora)
    So before I update via kies, is there any issues and bugs I should know about? Like music player detecting only files in music folder on internal storage or any lagging on home screen and lockscreen?

Thanks I'm going to update and report on any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by gotta have it android View Post
    You should know you will lose root thanks to Knox
    I don't get it. Why are so many determined to go OTA or kies.

Sent From The Galaxy VIA Subspace

I'm not getting notification sounds after I updated. Any suggestions?

So far so good. The initial boot up is lengthy and is laggy when finally done but give it 5 minutes to create a cache at home screen and restart and it should be snappy again. Great job sprint and samsung. Will report back with benchmarks and more.

I had the music issue....but once I manually add one file it resolved itself. No issue there after that

ok i ddi the update via kids and have a question/problem with the new update. it is constantly showing 4 files i have downloaded as complete in the menu bar. when i clear them it disappears for a few and then shows them again. i did a power cycle and still no change. any ideas/suggestions
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by liboozers View Post
    ok i ddi the update via kids and have a question/problem with the new update. it is constantly showing 4 files i have downloaded as complete in the menu bar. when i clear them it disappears for a few and then shows them again. i did a power cycle and still no change. any ideas/suggestions
    Mind posting a screenshot of what you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by liboozers View Post
    Go to settings /application manager /all /download manager clear cache and data. Reboot and the issue should be fixed

Sent From The Galaxy VIA Subspace
    Thanked by:
    skld 

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

liboozers, Could you explain how you updated via kies? I am interested but have no idea how to proceed.

Well first tell us if you have kies or not.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast