1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sprint) Home Button -> Google Now (while PIN Locked)

Ok, so here's one particular issue that I just haven't been able to solve. I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 (for Sprint) and I hate S-Voice. I want to be able to use Google Now, and with the Home2 app I can do so with the double-tap on the home button. However, I also keep my phone PIN locked (this way if someone steals it, they can't get to my data and I have time to remotely wipe the phone or locate it), and apparently while S-Voice can work whent the phone is PIN locked, I'm not sure if there is any way to get Google Now to work while it's PIN locked by double-tapping the home button.

Basically, the reason I want this is that I just got a Honda CR-V and the bluetooth implementation in the car is absolutely awful. The only way to make calls while driving is 20 pre-programmed speed dials, or else I have to fumble with my phone which is completely unsafe. Shame on Honda for such an absurdly limiting Bluetooth system that basically makes it much more likely one will fumble with their phone while driving. Anyway, I'd love to be able to just double tap the home button on my phone and get Google Now going (while PIN locked) and then just tell it to call someone or do something else.

Anyone know how I can accomplish this?? By the way, my Galaxy S3 isn't rooted, and I'd prefer not to root it since that would mean I'd have to reinstall everything and re-configure everything.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sprint) Home Button -> Google Now (while PIN Locked)

First, rooting your phone won't require you to reload anything. Flashing a new ROM might, but if you root and keep the stock ROM everything will remain intact. See here:

[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

To answer your question, I don't know of anyway to do that.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sprint) Home Button -> Google Now (while PIN Locked)

The one way I know to change the home button function is: go into your app manager, and select the all tab, then scroll down to svoice and select it. Then clear the defaults. The next time you double tab your home button you'll be asked what to use by default, choose google.

And like meyer said, rooting will not require you reset, restore, or redo anything. Unless you choose to flash a custom rom.

You could also use a different launcher, like nova launcher, and there's options you can set for what different gestures and button presses do.

There's also this little that will be available to the public in a few months, can't wait to get mine.
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

No go unfortunately - S Voice has no defaults for me to clear

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

There is an app in the Amazon app store (not Google) called Open mic. It gives you the KitKat-like ability to say OK Google from any home screen, but takes it a little bit further. It listens whenever the screen is on, not just on home screens. And it has the option to listen with the screen off. Doing that will kill your battery, though, and I don't know if it would open the app through a pin lock.

As far as S-Voice, you can turn off the double-click action in the app's settings, but I don't think there's a way to reset it to something else.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by mbressman View Post
    No go unfortunately - S Voice has no defaults for me to clear

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Are you sure? The "clear defaults" button is just under the bottom of the screen, you'll have to scroll down slightly. I just double checked it on my S3, and it gave me the choice to set the home button to: svoice, google, handcent, or talkback something or other. Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sprint) Home Button -> Google Now (while PIN Locked)-screenshot_2013-12-03-10-09-51.png
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

All - thanks for the info about rooting the S3. I guess I must have gotten mixed up between rooting and using custom ROMs - I actually should have known this, since I've rooted previous phones in the past, but I guess I forgot! Anyway, I might root my phone then, but it looks like it won't help solve this issue.

meyerweb - thanks for the info about that app, but I think you are right that it will kill my battery!

Weazrbmxr - I just tried again and clear defaults is greyed out and it lists that it has no defaults...am I doing something wrong? See attached screenshot. Thanks!

Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sprint) Home Button -> Google Now (while PIN Locked)-screenshot_2013-12-03-12-15-52.png

Aw bummer, that's weird. Mine wasn't greyed out and i ran into your same issue a few months ago, and i just stumbled across this little trick. It is possible, we just have to find a work around for you.

Ok try this, go back into the svoice app and disable it. Back out and double tap your home button, you should be prompted to use an app, like my screenshot above. Select google, and choose always. Then go back into the app manager app enable svoice so you don't break anything (it'll be at the very bottom of the list). That should be it.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Just tried what you said. When I disabled S Voice and double-tapped, it went right to Google Voice Dialer (didn't give me a prompt, nor did it go to Google Now). Then, when I went back and re-enabled S Voice and double-tapped, it just went right back to using S Voice.

By the way, thanks for your help so far!

@mbressman...I've linked a possible workaround for you below.

*Update* Adding a second source...

Last edited by MaXXimus; 12-03-2013 at 02:10 PM.

That's a great app. I've used it. But it won't, I don't think, override a pin lock.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I was just going to say the same thing - I've done a bit of research into that app already and I'm pretty positive it doesn't override pin lock so that you can use the Home button to launch Google Now while the phone is pin locked. Additionally, I've read some reports about memory issues and constant screen refreshes when used on the Galaxy S3 which is what kept me from even installing it on mine in the first place.

Thanks again everyone for all the help so far - anyone else have any ideas? I wonder if the 4.3 OTA update will bring any relief to this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    That's a great app. I've used it. But it won't, I don't think, override a pin lock.
    Bummer...well, I hope mbressman is able to get it sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by mbressman View Post
    Just tried what you said. When I disabled S Voice and double-tapped, it went right to Google Voice Dialer (didn't give me a prompt, nor did it go to Google Now). Then, when I went back and re-enabled S Voice and double-tapped, it just went right back to using S Voice.

By the way, thanks for your help so far!
    Try and download an app or 2 that would use a voice input, i know handcent for one. And then try and disable it again, that way it should prompt you for a choice when you double tap it. Also, after you re-enabled it, did your clear defaults become active?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I was thinking of trying to use Kies to update to 4.3 and then see if there were any better options to fix this issue on 4.3? Should I not do that??
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

So I updated to 4.3 via Kies - haven't had a chance to see if I can "fix" my issue in 4.3 yet, but will hopefully get a chance to today or tomorrow and will post back here. Also, someone mentioned trying an app called widgetlocker to control the lock screen, and I'm wondering if I can use this to help get what I want accomplished...we shall see!