4.3 won't install ...

wilder_jw

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I've been notified of 4.3 being ready three times. In each case, I've plugged in my phone (or been at 95%+ power) and told the update to install.

In all three cases, I get the message the phone will reboot and the update will install.

In all three cases, my phone reboots and the update does not install.

Anybody else getting this? Any idea why? Any way to fix it? Any way to force the install (aside from rooting)?

BIGSAMDA1ST

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you complete stock?

Edit: Just saw that you are stock...

GS4 Stock Rooted MJA 4.3,Philz Touch CWM,HotSpot Mod,Transparent Weather Widget...

BIGSAMDA1ST

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
You can always grab a stock or rooted tar file and flash that through odin..

GS4 Stock Rooted MJA 4.3,Philz Touch CWM,HotSpot Mod,Transparent Weather Widget...

wilder_jw

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Is there a how-to thread on fixing this?

I remember Odin to be extremely simple, but it was a while back, and I tend to walk through these things (phone-related) without having a deep understanding of them. So to fix it, I'm likely to need step-by-step.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There are a couple of options. The simplest is probably to use Odin to flsh a complete stock ROM, and then let the OTA(s) run. Step by step instructions are here:

This will actually take you back to ICS, and you'll get notifications for 2 JB updates, and then the 4.3 update. This process will wipe your phone, like a factory reset. I don't know what method you used to enable the toggle, but I havn't seen any posts about undoing the sound toggle mod.

But first read through all the 4.3 and Knox threads here. If you have any future thoughts about rooting and installing custom ROMs, or you want to avoid wiping your phone, you might want to avoid the OTA. If that's what you want to do, let us know and we can provide more help.

BIGSAMDA1ST

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
There are a couple of options. The simplest is probably to use Odin to flsh a complete stock ROM, and then let the OTA(s) run. Step by step instructions are here:

This will actually take you back to ICS, and you'll get notifications for 2 JB updates, and then the 4.3 update. This process will wipe your phone, like a factory reset. I don't know what method you used to enable the toggle, but I havn't seen any posts about undoing the sound toggle mod.

But first read through all the 4.3 and Knox threads here. If you have any future thoughts about rooting and installing custom ROMs, or you want to avoid wiping your phone, you might want to avoid the OTA. If that's what you want to do, let us know and we can provide more help.

Just curious as to why go through all of that when you can just download the official MK3 firmware from Sammobile and flash that through Odin... It's what I did coming from stock rooted MD4...But like you mentioned it does bring the incorporation of Knox by going that route which might be the only downfall..

Last edited:

wilder_jw

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
If you have any future thoughts about rooting and installing custom ROMs, or you want to avoid wiping your phone, you might want to avoid the OTA. If that's what you want to do, let us know and we can provide more help.
Thanks so much. I would rather not completely rule out the possibility of future rooting. (I'm not positive I'll get to it before I upgrade my phone, but I don't want to make it more difficult if I do.) Do I have options other than OTA (or rooting) to land 4.3?

(BTW, did you intend to include a link?)

Thanks again for the assistance. It's already been helpful, even if only to figure out that the shutter-sound toggle can make it impossible to get OTA updates. If I can figure out how to get 4.3 fairly easily, that'll be bonus.

BIGSAMDA1ST

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much. I would rather not completely rule out the possibility of future rooting. (I'm not positive I'll get to it before I upgrade my phone, but I don't want to make it more difficult if I do.) Do I have options other than OTA (or rooting) to land 4.3?

Thanks again for the assistance. It's already been helpful, even if only to figure out that the shutter-sound toggle can make it impossible to get OTA updates. If I can figure out how to get 4.3 fairly easily, that'll be bonus.

Are you looking to get the 4.3 update as if you received it ota and installed it? Are you aware of Knox and that it trips a flag that is irreversible therfore voiding your warranty if you root and install a custom recovery? Just making sure you understand because once downloaded there is no going back to any previous builds...

This link here is for the official 4.3 update from Samsung:

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/?model=SPH-L710&pcode=SPR#firmware

This link is incase you want to just update to 4.3 minus the bootloader meaning you would be able to go back to previous builds:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=47985737

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

This is the link I meant to inclide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...-30-2012-sprint-only-unroot-return-stock.html

BigSam is right, though. Installing through Kies is easier. I thought that had the same limitations ss the OTA.

It IS possible to root after updating to 4.3. What you can't do is remove Knox from the boorloader, which may cause some issues down the road. The other option is to root now, and install an already rooted version of 4.3, and a Knox-free version of the 4.3 kernel. These do still seem to have some minor bugs that are being worked out, however.

Also, if you root, you could eliminate the nag and stay on 4.1.2 until the bugs are fixed in the pre-rooted 4.3 ROMs. That's what I'm doing.

Let me know what you want to do, and I can provide some links to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy