Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default 4.3 won't install ...

    I've been notified of 4.3 being ready three times. In each case, I've plugged in my phone (or been at 95%+ power) and told the update to install.

    In all three cases, I get the message the phone will reboot and the update will install.

    In all three cases, my phone reboots and the update does not install.

    Anybody else getting this? Any idea why? Any way to fix it? Any way to force the install (aside from rooting)?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: 4.3 won't install ...

    Are you complete stock?

    Edit: Just saw that you are stock...

    GS4 Stock Rooted MJA 4.3,Philz Touch CWM,HotSpot Mod,Transparent Weather Widget...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: 4.3 won't install ...

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGSAMDA1ST View Post
    Are you complete stock?
    I did actually use Odin to re-enable the shutter-sound toggle quite a while back. So, technically, I'm not complete stock.

    Could that be the reason? I'm almost certain I've gotten minor updates since then.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: 4.3 won't install ...

    Most likely

    GS4 Stock Rooted MJA 4.3,Philz Touch CWM,HotSpot Mod,Transparent Weather Widget...
  5. #5  

    Default Re: 4.3 won't install ...

    You can always grab a stock or rooted tar file and flash that through odin..

    GS4 Stock Rooted MJA 4.3,Philz Touch CWM,HotSpot Mod,Transparent Weather Widget...
  6. #6  

    Default Re: 4.3 won't install ...

    Quote Originally Posted by wilder_jw View Post
    Could that be the reason? I'm almost certain I've gotten minor updates since then.
    Yep, that's the reason. There haven't been any minor ROM updates. You may have gotten other kinds of updates (apps, PRLs, Samsung updates), but ROM updates always come as full ROMs.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: 4.3 won't install ...

    Is there a how-to thread on fixing this?

    I remember Odin to be extremely simple, but it was a while back, and I tend to walk through these things (phone-related) without having a deep understanding of them. So to fix it, I'm likely to need step-by-step.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: 4.3 won't install ...

    There are a couple of options. The simplest is probably to use Odin to flsh a complete stock ROM, and then let the OTA(s) run. Step by step instructions are here:

    This will actually take you back to ICS, and you'll get notifications for 2 JB updates, and then the 4.3 update. This process will wipe your phone, like a factory reset. I don't know what method you used to enable the toggle, but I havn't seen any posts about undoing the sound toggle mod.

    But first read through all the 4.3 and Knox threads here. If you have any future thoughts about rooting and installing custom ROMs, or you want to avoid wiping your phone, you might want to avoid the OTA. If that's what you want to do, let us know and we can provide more help.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by 2:
  9. #9  

    Default Re: 4.3 won't install ...

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    There are a couple of options. The simplest is probably to use Odin to flsh a complete stock ROM, and then let the OTA(s) run. Step by step instructions are here:

    This will actually take you back to ICS, and you'll get notifications for 2 JB updates, and then the 4.3 update. This process will wipe your phone, like a factory reset. I don't know what method you used to enable the toggle, but I havn't seen any posts about undoing the sound toggle mod.

    But first read through all the 4.3 and Knox threads here. If you have any future thoughts about rooting and installing custom ROMs, or you want to avoid wiping your phone, you might want to avoid the OTA. If that's what you want to do, let us know and we can provide more help.
    Just curious as to why go through all of that when you can just download the official MK3 firmware from Sammobile and flash that through Odin... It's what I did coming from stock rooted MD4...But like you mentioned it does bring the incorporation of Knox by going that route which might be the only downfall..

    GS4 Stock Rooted MJA 4.3,Philz Touch CWM,HotSpot Mod,Transparent Weather Widget...
    Last edited by BIGSAMDA1ST; 12-16-2013 at 01:26 PM.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: 4.3 won't install ...

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    If you have any future thoughts about rooting and installing custom ROMs, or you want to avoid wiping your phone, you might want to avoid the OTA. If that's what you want to do, let us know and we can provide more help.
    Thanks so much. I would rather not completely rule out the possibility of future rooting. (I'm not positive I'll get to it before I upgrade my phone, but I don't want to make it more difficult if I do.) Do I have options other than OTA (or rooting) to land 4.3?

    (BTW, did you intend to include a link?)

    Thanks again for the assistance. It's already been helpful, even if only to figure out that the shutter-sound toggle can make it impossible to get OTA updates. If I can figure out how to get 4.3 fairly easily, that'll be bonus.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: 4.3 won't install ...

    Quote Originally Posted by wilder_jw View Post
    Thanks so much. I would rather not completely rule out the possibility of future rooting. (I'm not positive I'll get to it before I upgrade my phone, but I don't want to make it more difficult if I do.) Do I have options other than OTA (or rooting) to land 4.3?

    (BTW, did you intend to include a link?)

    Thanks again for the assistance. It's already been helpful, even if only to figure out that the shutter-sound toggle can make it impossible to get OTA updates. If I can figure out how to get 4.3 fairly easily, that'll be bonus.
    Are you looking to get the 4.3 update as if you received it ota and installed it? Are you aware of Knox and that it trips a flag that is irreversible therfore voiding your warranty if you root and install a custom recovery? Just making sure you understand because once downloaded there is no going back to any previous builds...

    This link here is for the official 4.3 update from Samsung:



    This link is incase you want to just update to 4.3 minus the bootloader meaning you would be able to go back to previous builds:




    GS4 Stock Rooted MJA 4.3,Philz Touch CWM,HotSpot Mod,Transparent Weather Widget...
    Last edited by BIGSAMDA1ST; 12-16-2013 at 06:56 PM.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: 4.3 won't install ...

    Quote Originally Posted by wilder_jw View Post
    Thanks so much. I would rather not completely rule out the possibility of future rooting. (I'm not positive I'll get to it before I upgrade my phone, but I don't want to make it more difficult if I do.) Do I have options other than OTA (or rooting) to land 4.3?

    (BTW, did you intend to include a link?)

    Thanks again for the assistance. It's already been helpful, even if only to figure out that the shutter-sound toggle can make it impossible to get OTA updates. If I can figure out how to get 4.3 fairly easily, that'll be bonus.
    This is the link I meant to inclide: [UPDATED 12/30/2012][Sprint Only]UnRoot and Return to stock

    BigSam is right, though. Installing through Kies is easier. I thought that had the same limitations ss the OTA.

    It IS possible to root after updating to 4.3. What you can't do is remove Knox from the boorloader, which may cause some issues down the road. The other option is to root now, and install an already rooted version of 4.3, and a Knox-free version of the 4.3 kernel. These do still seem to have some minor bugs that are being worked out, however.

    Also, if you root, you could eliminate the nag and stay on 4.1.2 until the bugs are fixed in the pre-rooted 4.3 ROMs. That's what I'm doing.

    Let me know what you want to do, and I can provide some links to help.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Similar Threads

  1. Moto x baterry won't charge past 85%?
    By droidman2177 in forum Moto X
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 06:35 PM
  2. Google+ Auto Backup Won't turn off?
    By alphabets in forum Google+
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2013, 10:36 AM
  3. s-on htc lte only rom i found to work on teamwin to actually install
    By mrguilty101 in forum HTC EVO 4G LTE Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2013, 09:02 PM
  4. asphalt 8 cant install
    By Andi Alex in forum Other Tablets
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-15-2013, 08:45 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2013, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

B