Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Haalcyon
  • 1 Post By plutoplanet
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default random laughing sound occuring

I have been looking for an answer for this online and in the forum and have not seen anything. I am hoping somebody knows the answer. This is what's happening:

Beginning last night I started noticing a quick laughing sound randomly occurring. It sounds like a male voice and is a simple ha,ha,ha. There is no notification that comes with it that shows up in status bar. I have checked running apps and don't see anything that would be causing this. I checked all of my settings and sound and there is nothing set to this sound. I don't have any notifications saved on my phone that make this sound. I haven't downloaded any recent new apps that I would think would make the sound. The most recent app I downloaded was eBay. The samsung apps did update last night. That is the only change on my phone that I know of since I first heard it.

It does seem to only happen when I'm actually using the phone. But it doesn't seem to happen for any one application. It happens sometimes when I'm texting. Or maybe just surfing the net. Again its random. It does only happen when the sound is actually on as far as I can tell. I sure hope so, because I can't have this happening when its on vibrate when I'm in meetings and stuff at work.

And no this isn't something I'm just hearing in my head...lol. But, when it first happened last night it did freak me out!

If anybody knows what this is I was certainly appreciate somebody pointing in the right direction to get rid of it. And if it makes a difference I did receive 4.3 earlier this week. My phone was probably on vibrate 99 percent of the time since the update took place.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: random laughing sound occuring

It could be malware such as a game (I had over the summer a couple of games install without any permission I gave), but it's hard to know.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    It could be malware such as a game (I had over the summer a couple of games install without any permission I gave), but it's hard to know.

I don't have the allow unknown sources option checked for app installation, and I don't see any new apps other than the new samsung apps. I did run Norton malware scan today fwiw.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I do see an app in app listed under all apps called "self service". It has a lot of permissions including directly call phone numbers and receive and send SMS messages.

It doesn't have an uninstall function and doesn't show up in my downloaded apps. I selected force stop. The turn off function is grayed out.

Does anybody else have this app? I couldn't find out anything about it doing a Google search. It is version SZ_5.1.00

Global Posts
    6,213 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Are you on contract? It could be Sprint laughing. Cruel...but....

CM on OgPro
    Live long and prosper.

Thanked by:
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Can you post a screenshot of the icon?

I don't mean this in a funny way but my phone has this Self Service app in the ALL folder as well but my phone is not laughing at me.

Just FYI on this app

- - - Updated - - -

It's a gray square with a Hammer, Screwdriver and a wrench in it....
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,213 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

As far as I'm aware my phones haven't laughed at me either. Should they and them and I would have to have a serious discussion.
    Live long and prosper.

Global Posts
    1,017 Global Posts

Have you installed a live Christmas wallpaper? It might be Santa!
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by HamRadioNut View Post
    I don't mean this in a funny way but my phone has this Self Service app in the ALL folder as well but my phone is not laughing at me.

Just FYI on this app

- - - Updated - - -

It's a gray square with a Hammer, Screwdriver and a wrench in it....
    Yes, that is the app. I think it is part of Sprint Zone, and that would explain the version naming beginning with SZ.

So, I still don't know what causes the laughing sound. I know it probably seems funny... I guess it could be randomly making worse sounds for no apparent reason, so at least its just a "ha,ha,ha".

Anyways, there must be a reason it's happening, so hopefully somebody has an idea on the fix.

HamRadioNut likes this.

Global Posts
    6,213 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by plutoplanet View Post
    Yes, that is the app. I think it is part of Sprint Zone, and that would explain the version naming beginning with SZ.

So, I still don't know what causes the laughing sound. I know it probably seems funny... I guess it could be randomly making worse sounds for no apparent reason, so at least its just a "ha,ha,ha".

Anyways, there must be a reason it's happening, so hopefully somebody has an idea on the fix.

If no other solution is found you could take it into a Sprint store. They may be familiar with it.
    Live long and prosper.

similar to this issue my mom received the update on her phone so your in luck it's not just you and it's not malware, except in her case there is random music playing the same song each time though I have tried to find an app open when this happens to no avail so this has to be a system issue not so widespread though

Posted via LG G2