S3 won't connect to Sprint, won't provision

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
My S3, which has been working great, suddenly stopped connecting to the cellular network tonight. Worked fine with WiFi. I didn't update anything. Was running MOAR 6.1 (Sprint MD4 based ROM). I've unrooted, factory reset, and have the stock MD4 ROM, Kernel and modem running. No difference. ##72786# runs, but doesn't seem to change anything. Activation kept failing with a message to go to the Sprint store. PRL update and Profile Update won't run. Oddly, it WILL roam on Verizon, but only for voice, not data.

My wife and son have S3s on Sprint (one on MD4, one on MK3) and they both work fine, so I don't think it's the network.

Guess I'm heading off to the Sprint store in the a.m., but does anyone have any thoughts of anything else I might try?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My S3, which has been working great, suddenly stopped connecting to the cellular network tonight. Worked fine with WiFi. I didn't update anything. Was running MOAR 6.1 (Sprint MD4 based ROM). I've unrooted, factory reset, and have the stock MD4 ROM, Kernel and modem running. No difference. ##72786# runs, but doesn't seem to change anything. Activation kept failing with a message to go to the Sprint store. PRL update and Profile Update won't run. Oddly, it WILL roam on Verizon, but only for voice, not data.

My wife and son have S3s on Sprint (one on MD4, one on MK3) and they both work fine, so I don't think it's the network.

Guess I'm heading off to the Sprint store in the a.m., but does anyone have any thoughts of anything else I might try?

You have a Nandroid of an older version of MOAR? Flash back to that and see if you still have problems.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Maybe reflashing the modems in Odin? They might have been a bad flash but good enough to fool Odin?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, Golf. I tried flashing a couple of other modems today, but no luck.

I took the phone to Sprint, and they spent 45 minutes trying to fix it, and finally decided it had to be a hardware problem. I have no insurance, and the phones more than a year old, so no warranty. But they offered to swap it out for a refurb for $75. Considering I would have spent more than a $140 in insurance premiums by now, I think that worked out pretty well. The refurb looks perfect, no scratches on the front, back or sides, and it seems to work perfectly so far.

It's really strange to have a completely stock, unrooted phone, though. I'll root and flash MOAR 7 on Thursday, I guess.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Golf. I tried flashing a couple of other modems today, but no luck.

I took the phone to Sprint, and they spent 45 minutes trying to fix it, and finally decided it had to be a hardware problem. I have no insurance, and the phones more than a year old, so no warranty. But they offered to swap it out for a refurb for $75. Considering I would have spent more than a $140 in insurance premiums by now, I think that worked out pretty well. The refurb looks perfect, no scratches on the front, back or sides, and it seems to work perfectly so far.

It's really strange to have a completely stock, unrooted phone, though. I'll root and flash MOAR 7 on Thursday, I guess.

Bummer it didn't work out. Glad you are up and running again though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX