Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S3 won't connect to Sprint, won't provision

My S3, which has been working great, suddenly stopped connecting to the cellular network tonight. Worked fine with WiFi. I didn't update anything. Was running MOAR 6.1 (Sprint MD4 based ROM). I've unrooted, factory reset, and have the stock MD4 ROM, Kernel and modem running. No difference. ##72786# runs, but doesn't seem to change anything. Activation kept failing with a message to go to the Sprint store. PRL update and Profile Update won't run. Oddly, it WILL roam on Verizon, but only for voice, not data.

My wife and son have S3s on Sprint (one on MD4, one on MK3) and they both work fine, so I don't think it's the network.

Guess I'm heading off to the Sprint store in the a.m., but does anyone have any thoughts of anything else I might try?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    13,957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: S3 won't connect to Sprint, won't provision

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    My S3, which has been working great, suddenly stopped connecting to the cellular network tonight. Worked fine with WiFi. I didn't update anything. Was running MOAR 6.1 (Sprint MD4 based ROM). I've unrooted, factory reset, and have the stock MD4 ROM, Kernel and modem running. No difference. ##72786# runs, but doesn't seem to change anything. Activation kept failing with a message to go to the Sprint store. PRL update and Profile Update won't run. Oddly, it WILL roam on Verizon, but only for voice, not data.

My wife and son have S3s on Sprint (one on MD4, one on MK3) and they both work fine, so I don't think it's the network.

Guess I'm heading off to the Sprint store in the a.m., but does anyone have any thoughts of anything else I might try?
    You have a Nandroid of an older version of MOAR? Flash back to that and see if you still have problems.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Forgot to mention that. It was the first thing I tried.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    13,957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Maybe reflashing the modems in Odin? They might have been a bad flash but good enough to fool Odin?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    UJ95x likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks, Golf. I tried flashing a couple of other modems today, but no luck.

I took the phone to Sprint, and they spent 45 minutes trying to fix it, and finally decided it had to be a hardware problem. I have no insurance, and the phones more than a year old, so no warranty. But they offered to swap it out for a refurb for $75. Considering I would have spent more than a $140 in insurance premiums by now, I think that worked out pretty well. The refurb looks perfect, no scratches on the front, back or sides, and it seems to work perfectly so far.

It's really strange to have a completely stock, unrooted phone, though. I'll root and flash MOAR 7 on Thursday, I guess.

Global Posts
    13,957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Thanks, Golf. I tried flashing a couple of other modems today, but no luck.

I took the phone to Sprint, and they spent 45 minutes trying to fix it, and finally decided it had to be a hardware problem. I have no insurance, and the phones more than a year old, so no warranty. But they offered to swap it out for a refurb for $75. Considering I would have spent more than a $140 in insurance premiums by now, I think that worked out pretty well. The refurb looks perfect, no scratches on the front, back or sides, and it seems to work perfectly so far.

It's really strange to have a completely stock, unrooted phone, though. I'll root and flash MOAR 7 on Thursday, I guess.
    Bummer it didn't work out. Glad you are up and running again though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app