Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GTWalling
  • 1 Post By meyerweb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint Galaxy S3 - Call volume very low after 4.3 update

Hi,
    I've just done an update via Odin on my rooted S3. Now I'm having problems with call volume being extremely low despite all volume levels being at maximum. I have revision L710VPUCMK3. Is this the latest version?

Are there any possible fixes? I have all the volume settings set to maximum, but call volume is hardly audible.

Thanks,
    Dave

Default Re: Sprint Galaxy S3 - Call volume very low after 4.3 update

I haven't run across anyone else mentioning this problem. And yes, I believe that is the current version.

You might try reflashing the ROM in Odin, just in case something didn't get updated correctly. Whatever you do, don't try to go back to 4.1.2 via Odin. It will hard brick your phone.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I haven't run across anyone else mentioning this problem. And yes, I believe that is the current version.

You might try reflashing the ROM in Odin, just in case something didn't get updated correctly. Whatever you do, don't try to go back to 4.1.2 via Odin. It will hard brick your phone.
    Just tried to reflash it with odin and it reported "FAILED". Apparently that's not possible. Looks like phone just wouldn't take it.

Other suggestions? :-(

Thanks,
    Dave

Are you rooted? If not, are you willing to root?

Actually, before doing that, it would be worth trying a factory reset. You can download the free version of Helium backup from the Play store to back up all your data, then reset and see if that resolves it.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Are you rooted? If not, are you willing to root?

Actually, before doing that, it would be worth trying a factory reset. You can download the free version of Helium backup from the Play store to back up all your data, then reset and see if that resolves it.
    Yes, it's rooted, and I've already done a backup. Factory reset won't erase user data?

I assume it's a key combination to do this?

Thanks,
    Dave

I don't think it will delete the contents of your internal SD card, but will erase application settings and user data stored by applications. Your apps will reinstall from the play store, and if your contacts, email and such are synced with Google they'll automatically restore.

You can factory reset from in recovery, or from Settings / Accounts / Backup and reset / Factory data reset.

BUT, since you're rooted, you might want to make a nandroid backup and try flashing one of these first: [MOD] Increase Over all Sound Volumes MK3 4.3 Sprint (Flashable) (12-05-13) - xda-developers

I have had noticed it's a bit lower even when at full volume. Quick question could I flash that on mine even though I have the ota update?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

You need to be rooted, with a custom recovery, to flash those files.

If you want to root a Sprint GS3 with 4.3, see this thread, especially post #30: Possible method to root 4.3

i noticed the volume starts low and then goes full after a second or two when a call comes in- very frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
    i noticed the volume starts low and then goes full after a second or two when a call comes in- very frustrating
    That's normal for Samsung devices. It's easy to stop if you root, but I don't know of any way to avoid it otherwise.

really - i never noticed that before-- thanks, thought it was the update

I use Disable Increasing Ring from Google Play.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3 (No KNOX)

If My post has helped please hit the Thanks Button

Unused Ram is Wasted Ram
    Thanked by 2:
    coachpelkey likes this.

Thanks! Just downloaded, but my son has the same phone and the slowly increasing volume is not as noticible on his. His starts loud right off.

Quote Originally Posted by GTWalling View Post
    I use Disable Increasing Ring from Google Play.

Thanks. I was not aware of that app.

GTWalling likes this.

Thanks for this thread, I started with the same problem yesterday. Even though I love my galaxy phone but it's getting to the point where I don't want another because of all these problems. Mine phones problem is that when someone calls me the volume is that low I can hardly hear them.
    Last edited by Katy Knowles; 05-04-2014 at 03:30 AM.

I ran into this same problem on my S3, some people mentioned how hard it was for them to hear me. Try turning off 'Noise reduction'.
    Launch the 'Phone' app, select the menu settings (bottom left), select 'Call settings', find and un-check the 'Noise Reduction' setting.