1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Too Many Playlists! [Solved, I Suppose]

So at some point in time it seems that the Play Music app auto-generated hundreds of music playlists. So many, in fact, that it takes minutes to process everything when I try to delete one. My problem is that there's no option to delete multiple playlists at once.

My question: does anyone know where the playlists are stored on the phone? If I log in to my music account online it shows no playlists so they're stored locally. I just want to get rid of these stupid things so I can make and use a playlist of my own for the first time since I got this phone. Over time I've been able to delete all the playlists starting with the letter A, and they haven't been re-added automatically, so it's not continually regenerating them, at least.

My phone is rooted so I have access to the whole filesystem. However, I haven't been able to find these anywhere and Google support won't or can't tell me where they're stored and just offer copy/paste basic support. I've looked for individual files, archives, and databases. I don't know if I'm just missing it, looking in the wrong place, or am incapable of finding them.

EDIT: copy/pasted to the general help forum. I sometimes forget other forums exist here outside of this one. >_<
    Should I delete this one, or is it acceptable to leave it in hopes of a response?
    Last edited by Halifax; 01-07-2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: I don't think about what I'm doing sometimes.

Default Re: Too Many Playlists!

You can probably get rid of them by going to the Application manager and deleting data for the Play Music app.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    You can probably get rid of them by going to the Application manager and deleting data for the Play Music app.
    I wish it were that easy. I've tried that in the past and again just now (cache and data), with no luck. I talked to a Google service rep once long ago and they said the playlists were stored locally on my phone since they didn't show up on music.google.com.

I'm in the middle of flashing a new ROM, so I can't actually look at my storage right now, but when I was backing things up to start I noticed there's a folder on the internal SD called "Playlists." I think it was in the root of the SD card, but I'm not 100% positive.

I would assume you've already looked for a folder with that name, but just in case, I thought I'd mention it.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

I connected my S3 to my laptop and was able to delete playlists from Win File Explorer. Later, Ray
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I'm in the middle of flashing a new ROM, so I can't actually look at my storage right now, but when I was backing things up to start I noticed there's a folder on the internal SD called "Playlists." I think it was in the root of the SD card, but I'm not 100% positive.

I would assume you've already looked for a folder with that name, but just in case, I thought I'd mention it.
    I've already found that folder. It was empty, but I deleted it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by raymb1 View Post
    I connected my S3 to my laptop and was able to delete playlists from Win File Explorer. Later, Ray
    Okay, delete them from where? I'm not just gonna rm -rf the filesystem. XD

When you connect the phone to your PC (USB connection)Too Many Playlists! [Solved, I Suppose]-s3-folders.jpg it will be listed in File Explorer. Mine is listed as SPH-L710. Click (my laptop is set up for single click instead of double click), on it, then click on Phone and a lot of the folders that are on your phone will be listed including Playlist. Then just delete what you need to. I've deleted CDs from my phone that way also. Later, Ray
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by raymb1 View Post
    When you connect the phone to your PC (USB connection)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S3 folders.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	99772 it will be listed in File Explorer. Mine is listed as SPH-L710. Click (my laptop is set up for single click instead of double click), on it, then click on Phone and a lot of the folders that are on your phone will be listed including Playlist. Then just delete what you need to. I've deleted CDs from my phone that way also. Later, Ray
    That seems to be the same folder meyerweb mentioned. I've already deleted it, but it was empty to begin with.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

To update, because I don't think I ever mentioned this: These playlists do not show up on my tablet or on music.google.com, but playlists made on music.google.com show up on both. It's definitely local, but I still can't find a directory or database file that contains them. I'll try contacting support again and see if they're any more help this time.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I uninstalled the program updates and deleting the playlists went quicker. It only took a little over 90 minutes to delete them all after that. Support was, as could have been expected, no help.

Well, glad you got rid of them, in any case.