Sprint S3: Quirks since 4.3 Update

tiarosi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I have a few of quirks that are very annoying since the latest update:

1 - Many times when I go to my Contacts List & I click on a letter, say "P", I can't scroll fast enough to find a particular contact when it suddenly scrolls itself all the way back up to "A". It does it a lot & then it doesn't for days. It even happens if I'm scrolling down the alphabet. This really bugs me as I can't click on the contact to place a call.

2 - Messages not sent. I have to modify them, delete or add a letter, whatever until it decides to send it whether it's almost exactly the same message.

3 - My SD card unmounted just a couple of days after the update. I've done some reading. The SanDisk cards are not recommended? Use a different brand, right?

4 - After a call, the call log (the amount of time spent on a call) doesn't show up any more. This was before this last update. I've seen on the S3's & S4's for sale at the stores that the call logs still show up after a call, yet after the update it's been phased out. Is there something somewhere in the Settings I need to adjust short of downloading another app for this? (I hope this one made sense.)

5 - Battery drain, period.

I'm suck w/this phone for another 8 months & was hoping to upgrade to an S4 but seriously re-thinking it. Are all these issues w/the 4.3 software on all the phones, if you know, or just limited to the Galaxies?

Any suggestions to my above issues/questions will be most appreciated. (Not rooted nor flashed. Just a regular phone.)

Thank you! Rosa

Last edited by a moderator:

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Quirks since 4.3 Update

Number 1 Check Settings/My device/Motion and see if Double tap to top is checked, if so uncheck.
Number 2 Could just be a low signal strength at the time you are trying to send.
Number 3 I have been using the same SanDisk 64GB since I bought the phone August 2012.
Number 4 In the call log tap on the name called, it will go to another screen showing how long the call was.
Number 5 Would need more details for Battery Drain, Screen shots of Battery usage after using phone from a full charge to down to at least 40%. How long do you get on a charge?

tiarosi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

GTWailing, Thank you for the quick reply!

1 - I unchecked it. I'll see how it reacts next time.
2 - This one's weird. Sometimes I have to add or delete a letter or 2 in the original mssg. to get it to send rather than re-composing the mssg. Sometimes it works.
3 - Okay. Thanks. I'll keep the SanDisk I just bought a couple of days ago. I just hadn't opened it.
4 - I tried that. It doesn't work, not even in the "View More" tab. (This I need occasionally just to know how much time I spent on business calls. It was disabled after I updated previous to the 4.3 update.)
5 - This week the battery drain began more & more. Phone fully charged night before & in a.m. it beeps that it's discharged, 15% so I plug it in. Then fully charged in a.m. & down to about 60% less than 3 hrs. later w/little to no use at all. I'll keep an eye on it & write it down instead. I have no idea how to do Screen Shots. I'll look that up & see if I can do it.

Thanks again! Rosa

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

To screenshot you can press and hold the home and power button at the same time and then let go
GTWailing, Thank you for the quick reply!

1 - I unchecked it. I'll see how it reacts next time.
2 - This one's weird. Sometimes I have to add or delete a letter or 2 in the original mssg. to get it to send rather than re-composing the mssg. Sometimes it works.
3 - Okay. Thanks. I'll keep the SanDisk I just bought a couple of days ago. I just hadn't opened it.
4 - I tried that. It doesn't work, not even in the "View More" tab. (This I need occasionally just to know how much time I spent on business calls. It was disabled after I updated previous to the 4.3 update.)
5 - This week the battery drain began more & more. Phone fully charged night before & in a.m. it beeps that it's discharged, 15% so I plug it in. Then fully charged in a.m. & down to about 60% less than 3 hrs. later w/little to no use at all. I'll keep an eye on it & write it down instead. I have no idea how to do Screen Shots. I'll look that up & see if I can do it.

Thanks again! Rosa

dominick

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Hi. I have a few of quirks that are very annoying since the latest update:

3 - My SD card unmounted just a couple of days after the update. I've done some reading. The SanDisk cards are not recommended? Use a different brand, right?
Any suggestions to my above issues/questions will be most appreciated. (Not rooted nor flashed. Just a regular phone.)

Thank you! Rosa

Here's my take on the SD card issue, and maybe I'm repeating something that's already been stated elsewhere on the web... how much you edit the card (writes, deletes, renames, attaches, reads, etc) has a very real impact on the lifetime of the card. to my knowledge, my 64GB SDXC Ultra card has a general lifetime of 100,000 rewrites - this is very easy to reach if you have tons of songs, videos, save canera to card, apps and app data... and the list goes on.

in my case, my card crapped out after 10 months - i can't edit card data in ANY device i put it in but it is at least data files are still available. it appears that i can delete a file, but when i restart, the file is gone (or a deletion reappears, or a filename is reverted, etc). additionally, the metal contacts on the S3's memory card reader won't recognize any other card I insert (this was the weird observation) much less reformat/repartition/etc a new card.

in the months prior to the card crap-out, there were no phone drops or anything of that nature. the ONLY thing that i did that was out of the ordinary was that I used Easy Tether between my S3 and my laptop. in my web research, i haven't found any connenction between Easy Tether and card corruption. many hard resets later, i still cannot get the S3 to recognize a new card so i can only deduce that hardware damage has been done at the card and card slot interface.

carrier = sprint
rooted = NO
running = 4.3 (4.1.2 at time of card crap-out)

cheers/dom

srschacher

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

I have the #2 problem too. Sometimes, a text will fail to send, but if I split it into two texts they both send okay. Weird.
I had an SD card problem on my S3 also. I have a 16Gb Sandisk card in my phone. It happened when I wrote some really large files to it. I copied over a bunch of record albums in a lossless format, and then it stopped writing files to the card. I had to put the card into a slot on my PC, copy all the files up to the ones that were bad, then all the files after the ones that were bad, reformat the card, then copy everything back.

So, I think it was the write of some very large files that messed up the card.

tiarosi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

Thank you for the reply. I had gotten a 16G card for it & finally inserted it last night. What I found, however ~ and I am really ticked off about this! ~ is that when I inserted the old card into the adapter & inserted it my computer to transfer & save my many picts. I had in there, they're all all gone. The card shows up blank. I had never reformatted the old card. It just showed up dismounted after the update. I assumed my picts were still there after the dismount and that the phone was just not recognizing the card, but not. (I know. My fault for not transferring them long ago & am kicking myself for not doing so.) The only ones that show up are the ones that are on the Camera. I don't understand why this happened and I'm upset over this. I looked around & have changed the settings so that all picts will now go into the card.

So my follow-up question here now is: How do I transfer the ones that are on the device to the SD card? I know it's something simple but can't seem to find the function to move them over. (I don't use Dropbox nor Cloud.) I'm pretty sure I'd done it before the update. Same question with regard to files and/or applications.

Thank you in advance! Any help greatly appreciated!

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Go to my files and click on device storage then hold on the folder with pics and then click move then sdcard then in the upper right hand corner click move here

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084