Can't connect to any device via usb

Nick0889

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy s3 running 4.3. When I plug my phone in to both my computer and my xbox 360 neither recognizes the device, my phone does charge when plugged in, but there is no USB icon at the top of my phone like there should be, and yes I've installed the drivers. I've tried two different USB cables, the original one that came with phone and another one. I plugged my wife's iPhone into both and her device was recognized. So I've eliminated that the problem could be my my computer or my cable. I've searched all through my settings trying to find out how to fix this but no luck. And tried to research this a little, but no luck there. If anyone has encountered this problem or has any ideas please let me know.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy s3 running 4.3. When I plug my phone in to both my computer and my xbox 360 neither recognizes the device, my phone does charge when plugged in, but there is no USB icon at the top of my phone like there should be, and yes I've installed the drivers. I've tried two different USB cables, the original one that came with phone and another one. I plugged my wife's iPhone into both and her device was recognized. So I've eliminated that the problem could be my my computer or my cable. I've searched all through my settings trying to find out how to fix this but no luck. And tried to research this a little, but no luck there. If anyone has encountered this problem or has any ideas please let me know.

Have you tried restarting the X-Box and you droid ???

Nick0889

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried restarting the X-Box and you droid ???

Yes I have, its not just my xbox or laptop. I also tried connecting to a computer at work with my cable and a friends, no luck. Then I plugged her Kindle tablet into the same computer with my chord and hers and it worked fine. So I'm almost positive it's an issue with my phone.

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes I have, its not just my xbox or laptop. I also tried connecting to a computer at work with my cable and a friends, no luck. Then I plugged her Kindle tablet into the same computer with my chord and hers and it worked fine. So I'm almost positive it's an issue with my phone.

Well now i looks like that the problem is with your device only !!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
When you connect it, do you get an icon in the notification bar, and a notification in the pull down that says it's connected as a MTP device or a camera? If so, tap on the notification, and then change the device type. If you change it to camera, then change it back to MTP.

Nick0889

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't have any icon in the notification bar at all, I installed the drivers less than a week ago from the Samsung website. So I don't really want to try that again. I chatted with a Samsung representative about the issue. After some troubleshooting, were unable to fix it. He suggested doing a hard reset on my phone, so I'm in the process of getting all my important things backed up and I'm gonna try the reset and cross my fingers. Any thoughts on that?

Nick0889

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I've done the hard reset, didn't fix anything, still having the same issue. I made sure my phone was in mtp mode by dialing ##3424#. I tried different ones there no luck. Tried connecting with USB debugging mode on and off. I tried putting my phone in download mode and plugging it in and still nothing. I've read many articles about this same issue and I tried everything other people said had worked for them. Im starting to hate 4.3
That's the reason I need my phone to be able to connect via USB to my computer in the first place. So I can get rooted using the Co-auto root method and go back to an older version of Android.

Nick0889

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
EVERY other person who has reported trying to flash a custom recovery after running the OTA has said it failed, and everyone else who has said they tried to go back to a 4,1.2 ROM has said it bricked their phone. Are you sure you did the OTA, or did you flash the 4.3 ROM from XDA?

I would not recommend that anyone else follow ab's procedure after flashing the OTA.

Meyerweb, I was reading a thread you started about rooting if you have done the OTA update to 4.3 on sprint Samsung galaxy s3 SPH - L710. You warned of flashing a ROM to a version of Android prior to 4.3 because KNOX. So basically there is no known way to completely get rid of KNOX, because even if you use superuser to disable it it is still in the bootloader?
So you advise against trying to flash back before 4.3 even though some claim to have done so successfully? Basically I'm a total newb when it comes to this stuff, I don't want to brick my device and just want to clarify that this is what your saying.

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Meyerweb, I was reading a thread you started about rooting if you have done the OTA update to 4.3 on sprint Samsung galaxy s3 SPH - L710. You warned of flashing a ROM to a version of Android prior to 4.3 because KNOX. So basically there is no known way to completely get rid of KNOX, because even if you use superuser to disable it it is still in the bootloader?
So you advise against trying to flash back before 4.3 even though some claim to have done so successfully? Basically I'm a total newb when it comes to this stuff, I don't want to brick my device and just want to clarify that this is what your saying.

If you accepted the OTA then you can't get know completely out of the bootloader. This where the issue is with trying to back up to a version prior to 4.3. Like meyerweb, I wouldn't recommend trying to go back.

sent from a GS3 gone wicked

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
To be clear: I would recommend against using ODIN to try to install a complete, pre-4.3 ROM, for the reasons discussed. So far, I've only seen one person who said he did it successfully, and that was on a Note 2. If you know of others who have done it, please provide me some links.

If you root your stock 4.3 ROM, and install a custom recovery (as described here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...possible-method-root-4-3-a-2.html#post3316246 ), you can then use your recovery (CWM, TWRP, etc.) to flash a pre 4.3 ROM that's designed for your model of phone. Just don't try to install a custom kernel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt