1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint S3 Bluetooth headset microphone randomly muted during a cal

Since the 4.3 update my Bluetooth headset microphone randomly mutes during a call. The person to whom Iím speaking reports that my voice sounds muted and garbled, and then they hear nothing. I have had the phone replaced 3 times now, with each phone having the same issue, among others that folks have reported about the S3 and 4.3. This and the random returning settings to default are the major annoyances.

Fixes I have tried:
    Soft Reset
    Hard Reset
    Go to the Sprint store and have it checked by the tech. Order replacement phone #1

Soft Reset
    Hard Reset
    Start in safe mode, clear caches, clear data, etc.
    Factory restore
    Factory restore without re-installing any apps
    Go to the Sprint store and have it checked by the tech. Order replacement phone #2

Chat with Samsung person. He suggests that I take the phone to the Sprint store and have the tech look at it.

Hard Reset
    Start in safe mode, clear caches, clear data, etc.
    Factory restore
    Factory restore without re-installing any apps
    Tested Bluetooth headset with other phones, could not recreate the problem.
    Tested other Bluetooth headsets with my phone. Problem happened every time.
    Go to the Sprint store and have it checked by the tech. Order replacement phone #3

Chat with Samsung person. He says take the phone to Best Buy, where there is a "Samsung Experience Store". Says that they'll be able to re-flash the phone to a version of 4.3 that has bug fixes. What I don't get is, if there is a version of 4.3 with the bug fixes, why haven't they pushed it OTA or through Kies?

Call Best Buy, ask for the "Samsung Experience Store". It's 4pm. The Samsung representative has gone home. They do not know when he'll be in again.

and still, the issues persist.
    I am starting a business, and I need to be able to take and make calls while Iím driving, as well as being able to move around without having to hold my phone. Bluetooth function is vital, and I am at my wits end. Any help at all would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-30-2014 at 10:12 PM.

Global Posts
    13,793 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Sprint S3 Bluetooth headset microphone randomly muted during a cal

Welcome to the forums.
    Try rebooting into recovery and clearing the system cache. Here is how: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.
    Try rebooting into recovery and clearing the system cache. Here is how: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.
    I am having the same/similar problem as the OP. If I make or answer a call using my Bluetooth at first the person on the other end is loud and clear, after a short time into the conversation the person on the other ends audio gets so low I can not hear them anymore, they are very faint. I have tried the suggestion above and that did not help. I have also called Sprint tech support in which they supposedly sent me a better radio (yeah right) to my phone which did not help either. I have tried everything, phone to phone (no Bluetooth) I didn't start having this problem until about a week ago, but I have had the 4.3 update longer than that. My wife and I both have a GS3 and it seems to happen between GS3 phones. I have a blackberry (work phone on T-Mobile) that I use the same Bluetooth with and don't have the any problems. I've even got to the point that I thing my hearing is going bad in one ear, but I seriously don't think that's happening either. The tech I was working with was great in helping me until he failed to call me back on the third checkup (guess he forgot). I have been a long time sprint customer and if this keep up I WILL leave for someone else unlimited data or no unlimited data, it's really a mute point if the service is not up the standards. I too would like to know if there is a fix for this, I am not waiting on an email reply from Samsung that the sprint tech sent them on my behalf (haven't heard from them yet) to see if they know of any other issues or a fix. I am still under contract until August, so they have until then to get this fixed or that's it for me and sprint.

Sorry for long post but I am like the OP, enough is enough......!!!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hi Golfdriver97,

Thank you for the welcome and for the response. I had tried this once before, but did so again at your prompting just in case. No joy I'm afraid. Bluetooth headset microphone muted randomly on 2 different calls today.

Any other suggestions?

Different Bluetooth headset maybe, it seems to be the constant with having had multiple phones.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app