Galaxy S3 won't charge

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi I'm new on the forums but I have been creeping around lol I had a question, recently my s3 won't charge when I'm using it while it's hooked up to the charger like it used to, I switched batteries and cords and it wont charge while I'm using it, is it normal or is there an app that I can use slow down current of the charger? Or is it because I use the fast charge option of Ktweaker, I'm rooted with the people rom.

Last edited by a moderator:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: S3 won't charge

What happens if you turn the 'fast charge' option off?

Does the phone charge normally if you turn it completely off (it should only take about two hours to fully charge)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

If I let it be without fast charge, it chargers slower but it charges, but even with the option off or on, of I'm using the phone while it's charging, the battery usually drains..

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Are you charging it from the USB port on a computer? (Since you're using fastcharge, I'm guessing yes.) What happens if you use an A/C charger?

If you are using a USB port, is it on the computer itself, or a hub? if a hub, is the hub powered or unpowered (does it have it's own AC adapter)?

Not all PCs will supply enough power to the USB ports to really support fastcharge, even if you have it enabled, and an unpowered hub almost certainly won't..

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I've tried charging it from a pc, but same effect, if I'm using it while it's plugged the battery decreases, a friend told me to charge it on safe mode to a 100% and then restart and it should charge normally, I did and it worked but after awhile it starts doing the same thing, you guys think it's the rom I'm using?

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I guess it could be the ROM, although I think it unlikely (but not impossible). What one are you using?

When you're not charging, does the battery drain fast, or does it seem normal? If it's draining fast all the time, you might want to install an app like system panel

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=nextapp.systempanel.r1&token=ROr4NCxU

Or Better Battery Stats: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.asksven.betterbatterystats&token=ysmhBgJN

to try to track down what's eating your battery. This thread might help, too: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...android-system-eating-your-battery-check.html

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks I'll check those out, and when it's not charging, in about a 5 hour period at work it'll go down 65,but it's constantly searching for signal cause I'm in a bad reception area so maybe that's the case, or could it be the charger port? I'm hoping it's not the problem, I just got it 2 months ago cause the last one also had a charger port problem.

Tom Caddick

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
A fix that worked

Hi everyone,

I had a very similar problem that is being discussed and followed most of the tips but without success.. (new adapter, battery, charge point etc etc)

I have now identified the problem and thought I would share..

1) get a pin
2) go under a strong light with your phone
3) clear all debris from the charge socket on the phone
4) using a pin place it inside the charge point and below what appears to be the connection point ( there is a small chip set looking thing inside the socket)
5) gently raise it with the pin by applying some pressure so that the connection point raises up slightly
6) connect and job done it should charge normally.

I think by using the chargers aggressively it bends the connection point within the socket and this causes the problem

if you have any questions I am happy to help as it was soooo frustrating and I want to help others before they spend money on fixes that probably wont work

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: A fix that worked

Hi everyone,

I had a very similar problem that is being discussed and followed most of the tips but without success.. (new adapter, battery, charge point etc etc)

I have now identified the problem and thought I would share..

1) get a pin
2) go under a strong light with your phone
3) clear all debris from the charge socket on the phone
4) using a pin place it inside the charge point and below what appears to be the connection point ( there is a small chip set looking thing inside the socket)
5) gently raise it with the pin by applying some pressure so that the connection point raises up slightly
6) connect and job done it should charge normally.

I think by using the chargers aggressively it bends the connection point within the socket and this causes the problem

if you have any questions I am happy to help as it was soooo frustrating and I want to help others before they spend money on fixes that probably wont work

Before I try that, anybody else got any thing that I can do? Now it won't charge at, when I leave it 60 before I go to sleep, it's a 40 something when I wake up, also I've turned it off and left it charging like that and didn't move from where it was for hours

Lori Bledsoe

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same issue. My phone can be connected to a wall plug or a PC and it will not charge. I've tried different cords. I also tried the option listed below by Tom, but that didn't work. I have completed a factory reset and I monitor my Task Window to make sure tasks aren't constantly running. Are there any other ideas??

Doreen Rose1

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
My 2-month-old S3 gradually stopped charging, until it wouldn't charge at all. I checked the Sprint forums first and found lots of angry people; apparently the S3 has an issue with charging ports breaking. The Sprint store rep confirmed this, saying that only the S3 has this problem. They said I had to take it to another Sprint store for repair. That second store quickly ordered me a new phone. I can't believe I never read about this flaw when I was researching the phone before buying it. If you get a charge indication when you move the charger around a little when you plug it into the phone, it's probably the port. Just don't wiggle it around for days trying to get enough charge to get you by, you'll ruin your chargers too. Take it in and demand a new one.

Vernchiqui

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
This actually worked for me! My phone is on it's 9th life right now, broken screen, soaked in the rain, dropped at least 15Xs. Just not ready to let it go. Thank you so much! :D

Vernchiqui

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Reply to Tom Caddick: This actually worked for me! My phone is on it's 9th life right now, broken screen, soaked in the rain, dropped at least 15Xs. Just not ready to let it go. Thank you so much! :D

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Considering that Samsung sold something like 40 million S3s, and that there are thousands of people posting on the S3 forms here, and I've seen maybe a dozen people on this forum say they had a problem with the charging port, it hardly seems commonplace. Yes, it happens, but it's far from an epidemic.

My 2-month-old S3 gradually stopped charging, until it wouldn't charge at all. I checked the Sprint forums first and found lots of angry people; apparently the S3 has an issue with charging ports breaking. The Sprint store rep confirmed this, saying that only the S3 has this problem. They said I had to take it to another Sprint store for repair. That second store quickly ordered me a new phone. I can't believe I never read about this flaw when I was researching the phone before buying it. If you get a charge indication when you move the charger around a little when you plug it into the phone, it's probably the port. Just don't wiggle it around for days trying to get enough charge to get you by, you'll ruin your chargers too. Take it in and demand a new one.

jawall

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I found that my charging port was bad. To change it out on the board requires experience in soldering and must use the correct equipment and use magnification to see what you are doing. There are you-tube videos showing how to do this. I changed mine out last night and the phone now charges correctly. Before this, it was difficult to get a connection with the charger cord that would indicate that it was charging. Even when it showed that it was charging while I had the phone on, the battery percentage would be decreasing so it was not making a good connection.

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Another option will be to replace the logic board, I did it on mine. You can replace it yourself not hard to do. I had it done for 75$, but you canbuy a board on ebay fo 40$.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670