Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Doing a backup without Kies?

As the title says, is there a way to do a backup without using Kies? I'm really not liking that program and am looking for an alternative. If one exists.

I have the SIII and a Note 10.1 (2013 edition).

Global Posts
    3,891 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: Doing a backup without Kies?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaO View Post
    As the title says, is there a way to do a backup without using Kies? I'm really not liking that program and am looking for an alternative. If one exists.

I have the SIII and a Note 10.1 (2013 edition).
    What exactly would you like to backup? You can connect your phone and drag out photos, videos, music, and all other content so you have an extra copy of it. Contacts can be backed up by syncing them with your gmail. App data, like on games, can be saved using an app from the play store called "Helium."

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

ADB Console by wizzrah. Check it out!: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sof...e-wizzrah.html

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I was thinking more along the lines of backing up in case it dies but you made me realize there's not much to it other than pictures, music, and contacts.

I'll check out Helium.

Is there another way to backup contacts other than Gmail?

Global Posts
    3,891 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

I was thinking more along the lines of backing up in case it dies but you made me realize there's not much to it other than pictures, music, and contacts.

I'll check out Helium.

Is there another way to backup contacts other than Gmail?
    You can use apps from the play store like "super backup". It will send you a file containing your contacts to your email. Then if you get a new phone, you can install the contacts again using super backup. Or you could even do it the old fashion way and just write the numbers down.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

ADB Console by wizzrah. Check it out!: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sof...e-wizzrah.html

Excel<>Contacts: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...elcontactslite

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

ROM
    3.0.31-329968

I use my phone explorer, it's easy to use and has all I need to backup my device.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Just thought I'd update. I tried a few apps and a few methods. I finally am going with Super Backup (pro) and good old drag-and-drop.

I hook the phones up via USB, drag and drop over the photos and whatever. After doing a backup of contacts with Super Backup, I drag and drop that over, too.

I also went through our contacts and made a spreadsheet of all of them, that way we have a PC copy. I divided them up according to group then printed out several groups so we had hard copies.

Smart phones aren't making us any smarter. We've gone back to memorizing phone numbers and don't use any speed dials except for contact lists on our S3s.

Just thought I'd update. I tried a few apps and a few methods. I finally am going with Super Backup (pro) and good old drag-and-drop.
    It's your call - the Kies software already backs up pretty much everything except your app data, and you can use Helium: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup for that.
    I also went through our contacts and made a spreadsheet of all of them, that way we have a PC copy.
    Perhaps you should try Excel<->Contacts Lite: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...elcontactslite

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk