Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint Galaxy S3: Wi-Fi Calling

So what's the chance that people here think Sprint will roll out the Wi-Fi calling that they recently announced on the S3?

I get awful coverage in my house and my Airave doesn't help because my phone keeps trying to connect to a 4G tower, so it drops the Airave connection. I don't want to disable 4G and re-enable it every time I go in or out of my house because I like having 4G when I'm out.

Wi-Fi calling would pretty much solve all of the problems I have with Sprint. I really hope they don't ignore the slightly older phones.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-08-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Default Re: Sprint Galaxy S3: Wi-Fi Calling

No idea what Sprint will do, but there are quit a few apps in the play store now that offer VOIP. (Voice over IP, e.g., WiFi).
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Default Re: Sprint Galaxy S3: Wi-Fi Calling

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    So what's the chance that people here think Sprint will roll out the Wi-Fi calling that they recently announced on the S3?

I get awful coverage in my house and my Airave doesn't help because my phone keeps trying to connect to a 4G tower, so it drops the Airave connection. I don't want to disable 4G and re-enable it every time I go in or out of my house because I like having 4G when I'm out.

Wi-Fi calling would pretty much solve all of the problems I have with Sprint. I really hope they don't ignore the slightly older phones.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app
    Are you sure it "drops the Airave"? The phone separately connects to towers for data and voice. On the S3 it shows the data connection (which shouldn't matter if you are using WiFi) and not the voice connection. An app like SignalCheck can show you how strong each connection is, or you can dial *99 which will tell you if you are in Airave coverage.

Edit: This is for pre-Spark phones like the S3. Spark phones can't hold two connections at once and will just not connect to LTE until the Airave (and some towers) are updated. Actually I rather they not update the Airave. There are likely power savings to connecting to the closer Airave.
    Last edited by masonfactor; 03-09-2014 at 11:49 AM.