Phone is using 20GB of system memory! WTH?

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a 32GB S3 with only 5.73GB of available space. Looking in my storage settings the reason is System Memory is usage is at 19.95GB. That is just crazy.

How can system memory take up so much space? I mean most S3 phones are only 16GB total.

Something is obviously amiss but not sure how to get to the bottom of this. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

My phone is rooted buy fully stock.

TIA

dominick

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Some apps store files on the phone inside folder: Android/Data. For example, you can download TED Talks via the app, but you cannot save to SD you save natively to phone. A lot of apps do this, so I would look into this folder to see which apps are storing huge files.

Also, I recall having one of those "secret folder" apps a few years ago, and files could only be saved on the phone for it to work properly - so when you do dig around, make sure you check Show Hidden Folders in Settings.

cheers/dom

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Hey I have the same issue you ever find a solution
Was your device rooted, or have you loaded a different ROM?
Can you post a screenshot of the Storage view?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely nothing worked. I didn't try installing a different ROM but I was rooted and I did a factory reset. Same problem with a virgin phone (not even associated with my Google account to prevent syncing). Sprint took it back and gave me a replacement.