Can't mount 64gb micro SD card

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a 64gb SanDisk micro SD card and I put it in my s3 and it's said "preparing SD card and then it says safe to remove right afterwards, so I did some research and formatted it on my pc and saw it was already a fat32, so I went and did it anyways and same results when I put it back.

My phone is rooted with a custom rom called the peoples rom

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a problem with your custom ROM - at a minimum you should be able to format the SD card in your phone.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Also the contacts of your card might not be making proper contact with it's receiver - try this, with the phone powered off - insert your card and press again to (un-insert) take card out, then do the same process again - this will help make sure the contacts of the card and it's receiver are touching each other - do this like a half a dozen times.

Next boot (turn on your phone) with the card in and see if it recognizes the card on boot - if not with the phone still powered on take your card out again and re-insert it - sometimes the card contacts and/or the card receiver contacts have a slight coating/sheen on it, making it difficult to get a good contact.

Also it seems that "all" 64gb cards have a small raised square on the bottom of the card probably because 64gb takes more physical space than 32gb and smaller don't have for the extra electronics of the 64gb - turn the card over with the contacts facing up and you will see what I am talking about when you compare a 64gb card to a smaller capacity card - this is a problem with some card receiver, as it basically lifts the contacts of the card from the card receiver because of the extra square - to help overcome that, with the card out press the silver sleeve portion of the card receiver and flatten it somewhat (not to much as you could damage it by press too hard) to make sure it has enough tension over the contacts of the card when re-inserted into the card receiver.

Whew! hope I didn't confuse you - easier to show than explain. That was the problem I had.

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a 64gb SanDisk micro SD card and I put it in my s3 and it's said "preparing SD card and then it says safe to remove right afterwards, so I did some research and formatted it on my pc and saw it was already a fat32, so I went and did it anyways and same results when I put it back.

My phone is rooted with a custom rom called the peoples rom

The original stock kernel doesn't have support for 64 gb microSD cards. Since you're on The Peoples ROM, you're still on v4.1.2. The developer of TPR has just gotten an HTC One M8 so there most likely won't be too much support left for it. The good news is there are some Knox free 4.3 roms such as MOAR which has a chose of 3 kernels during install (stock, ktoonsez and dkp) all of which has support for 64 gb microSD cards.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
The original stock kernel doesn't have support for 64 gb microSD cards. Since you're on The Peoples ROM, you're still on v4.1.2. The developer of TPR has just gotten an HTC One M8 so there most likely won't be too much support left for it. The good news is there are some Knox free 4.3 roms such as MOAR which has a chose of 3 kernels during install (stock, ktoonsez and dkp) all of which has support for 64 gb microSD cards.

I am actually on a stock 4.1.2 rom and the only thing I've done is rooted it - and I use a 64gb card - and it works fine.

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
If it's a SanDisk card SanDisk is the problem and they're aware of this issue it has corrected call SanDisk they will send you a brand new sdcard

sent from
HTC one max

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
On my brand new GS5, I tried 3 cards, 3 different manufacturers and could not get them to mount. I have heard that it is a KitKat issue and the only fix is for those that are rooted. I, am not and am still looking for a fix.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried 3 cards, 3 different manufacturers and could not get them to mount.
Did you try reformatting them on your computer (using FAT32)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay