Contacts List and Opening contacts VERY slow

Larry Pasekoff

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I suspect this is a repeat of a previous thread but I've not seen anything to actually resolve.

I have an Sprint Galaxy S3. Android v4.3. When I open my contacts list I get the Headers but no content. It may take 1-3 minutes before this refreshes. Once I get the list selecting an individual contact repeats the delay. In some cases once I get the contact selecting "dial" repeats the process yet again.

I've been selectively uninstalling apps to see if one of these has caused the problem. Previously when I had this issue the only advice Sprint could give me was to reset my phone to factory defaults. This worked but then the pain returns once system updates occur and apps are installed. Any suggestions? Are there any tools available the show CPU and/or memory utilization so I can see who the hogs are? This might give me a better indication of which processes are sucking up all the resources.

Andy Faulkner

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here but mine is AT&T. It started happening in the last few days so I also am uninstalling recent updates. WTF. Not worth having to reinstall the entire phone every time this starts to happen

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums (both of you)!

You can start by clearing the cache in the Contacts app: go to Settings -> More (if using the Tab view) -> Application manager, scroll right to the ALL tab, scroll down until you find 'Contacts' and select it, then select the 'Clear cache' button.

(If you're very trusting, AND you have all of your contacts synced with Google [as in, you just checked and are SURE!] you can also select 'Clear data' and then 'Force stop'.)

Finally, you can reboot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache (this is very quick and doesn't affect your data).

Let us know if any of that improves the performance.

BTW, how many contacts do you have?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

markilus

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a Note 3 and it regularly freezes too when I am searching for Contacts. I believe the reason for this is that the phone is looking
online and if the data connection is poor/the remote server busy it delays. The fix is really simple:

a) Open Contacts till you get a list
b) Go to Settings (left hand 'button')
c) Turn off Online Search

Works and the speed on Contacts is now amazing

Good luck

Mark

Nadim Ghanem Pares

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
HI,

I tried find the ¨online search for contacts´ in order for me to disable it, but I did not find it anywhere on the phone.

I am using a Note 3,

Please advice,

All the best,

Ken Clements

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
THe problem is that i am using LinkedIn as well.. and it appears to be going online to source contacts.
CONTACT -> LEFT MENU BUTTON -> CONTACTS TO DISPLAY -> DEVICE

should get instant results now.

Nilesh Shah India

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
To be honest none of this works in my case..! I am using Nexus 5 and tired with this problem.. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes to bring contact list. I selected only my gmail contacts to display so off Skype, whatsapp, linkedin etc.. but this is pathetic really. Can someone find the best solution to it ?

Regards,
Nilesh

Atharkhan101

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
No, i can't locate that option. Yes I'm too having the same problem but it only happens when I'm connected to wifi. Reason behind my lag is, when i type in first few letter of name, in background it also searches contact info from my office exchange account. I unchecked the contact sync when i configured my exchange account as in my company three are lakhs of employees and i don't want their contact
info appear when i try searching contact. This is still not sorted out. Please help me.

At_pandey

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi Nilesh,
I am facing same issue. When did the problem started? For me this issue started suddenly so it can't be number of contacts. Neither I synced any other app at that time. I suspect it's due to Android update. Anyone else with nexus 5 facing same issue?
To be hqonest none of this works in my case..! I am using Nexus 5 and tired with this problem.. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes to bring contact list. I selected only my gmail contacts to display so off Skype, whatsapp, linkedin etc.. but this is pathetic really. Can someone find the best solution to it ?

Regards,
Nilesh

octopusmacaw

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
The solution for me was removing the LinkedIn app...

It spawned a whole bunch of duplicated contacts (10x at least) for each and every one of my linkedin contacts, of which I had like 1000
So I had to delete the app, delete all my contacts, and re-sync them from google etc. but now it's working great. If you don't have all your contacts associated with a google account or something, you might want to back some up to the SD card, but be careful not to get all those duplicated LinkedIn contacts!! You can see if you have any contacts on your phone itself but looking in contacts --> settings --> contacts --> contacts to display and choosing device only. See if there are any in there. Then you can go back in and set to "All" again when you are done.

And a side note is that my phone is going much faster than before now as well for all tasks. That LinkedIn app was a real dog, would have liked if it worked better. :cool:

xwardos

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm also experiencing this issue with a Huawei G7 phone, But i tested using different profile/accounts first. For some reason, out of the x3 google accounts i have tried...it's only happening with one account. So for sure there is something different from one account to an other but not sure if it's to do with synced data like, loading of pictures or contact information. We might be blaming Android for nothing regarding this issue.

amila kumanayake

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
Its solved as advice after I've changed my contacts settings. I changed it from huawei cloud to gmail. Because for me huawei cloud account I had more than 30,000 contacts

Ahmed Ghazy1

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
I have Huawei P6 and faced this problem after upgrading to Kitkat 4.4.2.

Contacts issue solved after uninstalling Linkedin and disabling accounts auto sync.

Problem is Linkedin contacts were merged before with google, so still big contact list, but much faster.

Thanks

JonZuniga

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue...tried to wipe the cache but made no difference. I went into the call logs and did a select all then delete all my calling history and bingo...back to normal speed

GovindOjha

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I was facing the same problem from long time but then i Stopped the syncing of all accounts....it works for me and now my phone is working very fast :)

Thanks,

Govind

Ramy Diab

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I tried this and it worked with me

1st-Copy your contact list to your SD card.
2nd-there is an app named contacts storage (com.android.providers.contacts), clear cash then clear data then restart the phone.
3rd-restore your contacts from SD card and it will work fine (be aware that it may clear your calls log).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2