Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Going to Factory reset, have questions

The voice commands for my camera haven't worked since the update before KitKat, and updating to KitKat didn't fix it. So I'm going to try a factory reset and see if that fixes it. What all do I need to save/backup if I want to keep it? I've already backed up my contacts, instant messages, and any pictures I want to keep. What about apps I've downloaded/purchased? Will I lose anything from my SD card?

Thanks

Default Re: Going to Factory reset, have questions

Purchased apps can easily be reinstalled, although the associated data may or may not be restored--it depends on the app, and if it stores data in the cloud.

Theoretically, the SD card shouldn't be affected, but I've seen various reports of SD cards being wiped during a factory reset, so to be safe, you should unmount it and remove it prior to the reset.

Global Posts
    644 Global Posts

The few times I did a factory reset on my old DroidInc2 I was sure to properly unmount (in settings) my SD before gand (mainly outta paranoia)

Posted via Android Central App
    Sent from my GS3 w/JB

If you're concerned about app data you could try Helium: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup - it 'mostly' works.

And the Kies software is a great way to backup your contacts, pictures/videos, SMS/MMS, call logs, TouchWiz settings, etc.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

So I did the factory reset, the voice commands for the camera still don't work. And on top of that, I've lost the Mobile Data toggle switch in the Notification Panel. And the GPS toggle switch is now called Location?. I've gone to Settings / My Device / Display / Notification Panel, and the Mobile Data toggle is not there. I'm not very happy. I was really planning on keeping this phone for a while longer, but might be switching to the S5 now.

Quote Originally Posted by TextMeMaybe View Post
    I've gone to Settings / My Device / Display / Notification Panel, and the Mobile Data toggle is not there.
    Very strange - a Factory Reset shouldn't affect any of that (other than rearranging the upper section back to the stock settings).

You could reboot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache (and throw in another Factory Reset for good measure) - if that doesn't help then I'd suggest using the Kies software to reload the firmware.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Will I need to do any backups for just rebooting into Recovery mode and clearing the system cache?

No, clearing the system cache doesn't affect any of your data.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post

You could reboot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache (and throw in another Factory Reset for good measure) - if that doesn't help then I'd suggest using the Kies software to reload the firmware.

How do you that? I have the software, just don't quite see where to do it.

Here's an overview of what to do:
    - if you don't already have the Kies software installed on your PC, download it (just search Google - if your phone had the 4.3 firmware be sure you have Kies v3) and install it. The first time it runs it'll update itself to the latest version so make sure you run it once before proceeding.
    - put your phone in Download mode: with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen
    - connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable that came with the phone
    -- if you've never had the phone connected to your Windows-based computer before, you'll see messages about installing drivers, etc - just wait until this is done (may take 5 or 10 minutes) [I don't know what happens if you have a Mac - it probably just works]
    - in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
    - the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)