I hope you can help me. I made a terrible mistake with my Sprint gs3.

Pitt Viper

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I was on android 4.3 because in the past sprint sent me and update to upgrade to the new version, and it worked.

Since then, I have rooted the phone.

Recently, sprint sent me another update to upgrade to 4.4.2, I think. Every time I tried it, it failed. SO........

I found a nice website that instructed me how to update on my own. (big mistake)

1. Backed up system and data using cwm
2. copied new rom zip file to my ext sd card.
3. Used cwm to install the zip.

Well, it upgraded to 4.4, but, now...I can't connect to pc, 2. can't use wifi, and 3. no google apps work, including play store.

Not knowing what to do, I did a restore of my previous system. That didn't work either. I got message after
message telling me what process' had shut down. or were unavailable. Again, no google services worked.

Now, in a complete panic, I re-flashed cwm 11, and android 4.4. Now I am totally screwed. No wifi, no google svcs.,
no connection to pc, and I am sure there are many other things not working. I have not tried it, but I am not even sure if the phone works! lol.

I just checked, the phone works but all of my contacts are gone. I assume they are on the ext sd card somewhere since I did do a backup, but I am not sure. I need a lot of help here.

What I want to do now is completely wipe this phone, and return it to stock. I want to get my apps back that I had on the phone, along with their associated data, and I want my contacts back.

Also, I want everything to work like before, ie. wifi, play store and all google apps, and connect to pc.

I have NO idea what to do now. I can't even call anyone I know because their numbers were all stored in my contacts. I don't know any phone numbers.

Please, if you have a heart, come to my assistance as soon as you can.

I appreciate in advance the efforts of all who help me through this.

Thank,

Viper

btw: this is the link whose instructions I was following:

http://www.droidviews.com/install-android-4-4-kitkat-based-rom-on-galaxy-s3/

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think what's happened is that you're trying to run a 4.4 ROM on the 4.3 Kernel and bootloader, which won't work. The link GSDer gave you should get your phone working again, but it will wipe all the data stored in internal memory, so if you can still connect to a PC backup any photos or other important data.

As far as your contacts, were you syncing them with Google, or just storing them on your phone? Log in to your gmail account from a PC, click on the little down arrow next to the word "Gmail" at the top left and select Contacts. If all your contacts are visible there they will restore to your phone once you get it up and running. If not, how did you back them up?

Pitt Viper

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I backed up all of my system and data using the cwm backup option to my ext sd card. Is there a way just to get the contacts back? I am not worried about app data in so much as it is not mission critical.

I checked my online google account, and my contacts were NOT being backed up there, just a few of them, not many (like 7 out of hundreds).

Is there a method to look through what cwm backed up on my ext sd card and retrieve from there?

TIA

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think to do that (restore only part of a nandroid) you'll have to root your phone and install Titanium Backup (maybe the Pro version). TiBu has the capability to extract information from a nandroid and restore it.

In the future, when adding contacts, you can make sure they sync with google by selecting "Google Contact" at the top of the Add contact screen. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to change where contacts are stored once they're on your phone.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You could try just restoring the nandroid, and see if that gets you your contacts back. If that doesn't work, or you don't want to restore everything, TiBu is the only option I'm aware of. (There may be other options, but I don't know what they are.)

PittViper

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Restoring the nandroid from my first cwm backup, prior to me messing up the phone, restored me to os 4.3, with most of my apps, but no data, or contacts.

I am trying TiBU Pro right now to see if I can get my contacts back!

I'll keep you posted...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance