Next upgrade...

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I just hit my upgrade date and was wondering about my options. My GS3 has been terrific until the latest KitKat upgrade, which screwed up GPS and battery life.

Looks like the HTC One M8, Galaxy S5 and LG G3 are my best choices...but I'm wondering if I ought to hold off for anything else coming down the pike that I'm unaware of. Maybe something with Android 'L' built-in...like a Nexus or whatever they introduce the new version on?

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
You could wait for the next nexus (rumored) or the moto x+ or the note 4. Depends on what you want out of your phone. Those that you mention are solid phones in their own right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I just hit my upgrade date and was wondering about my options. My GS3 has been terrific until the latest KitKat upgrade, which screwed up GPS and battery life.

Looks like the HTC One M8, Galaxy S5 and LG G3 are my best choices...but I'm wondering if I ought to hold off for anything else coming down the pike that I'm unaware of. Maybe something with Android 'L' built-in...like a Nexus or whatever they introduce the new version on?

Like cnotes' said, you may want to wait.

The next Nexus and Moto X will probably offer some great features.

If you can't wait, look at the N5, M8, G2 or G3.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I jumped from our S3 to LG G3 and I can say, I absolutely love the G3. Especially with Best Buy deal they have going for the G3. Did the upgrade through them. Purchased phone on 2 year contract, case/hip holster and Zagg screen protector for only 170$. I couldn't pass up that deal.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I jumped from our S3 to LG G3 and I can say, I absolutely love the G3. Especially with Best Buy deal they have going for the G3. Did the upgrade through them. Purchased phone on 2 year contract, case/hip holster and Zagg screen protector for only 170$. I couldn't pass up that deal.

I did run into the Sprint store just to see my options for the upgrade and I agree both the G3 and the One M8 are fantastic phones. Still on the fence about waiting for whatever Google has for its 'L' release this fall. As nice as those two are, they are a LITTLE bigger than I was wanting. I'm sure I'd be fine with either one, but I was hoping for something closer to the size that my Galaxy S3 is.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Right now there are too many new things on the horizon for me to upgrade. The S5 Prime (rumor), the Note 4, the HTC One Prime (rumor), the Nexus 6, and who know what else.

I'll wait until autumn, and see what's available then. Even if the G3 appears to be the best option at that point, it'll probably have come down in price so I'll still benefit from waiting.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Right now there are too many new things on the horizon for me to upgrade. The S5 Prime (rumor), the Note 4, the HTC One Prime (rumor), the Nexus 6, and who know what else.

I'll wait until autumn, and see what's available then. Even if the G3 appears to be the best option at that point, it'll probably have come down in price so I'll still benefit from waiting.

If the rumors about Nexus 6 being a 5.9" screen...no thanks. I'm already struggling with the idea of having a 5.5" phone. I think they'll be alienating a good number of Android folks who aren't interested in carrying a borderline tablet in their pockets.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think you're right, IF the rumor is true. I've learned not to put too much stock in rumors this early in the process. I've played around with an LG G3, and am surprised at how small they've made it feel, but no question it's a two-handed phone. You can't shrink the bezels much more than LG has done, though, so a 5.9" phone will have to be bigger.

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey Hulk, did you turn in your GSIII with that deal? I am looking to upgrade my phone, trying to save some money and want to trade in my phone too...I heard the G3 is AWesome....

Wondering how much I can get in return for my GSIII

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Last I looked on ebay, folks were getting in the 50 to 100 dollar range for a GS3. I'll likely just keep mine as a streaming device at home...a mini-tablet, as it were.

If you are a Costco member, the G3 is $100. That's the best price I've seen on it. Not going to pull the trigger on it just yet, though. I'd like to see what's being offered this fall.

ovdevil

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Just upgraded from a S3 to a S4 for. 01¢ through Amazon.com. Not interested in the heart monitor or the buggie finger scanner but for a penny I could not resist.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Just upgraded from a S3 to a S4 for. 01¢ through Amazon.com. Not interested in the heart monitor or the buggie finger scanner but for a penny I could not resist.

Good price...but if I'm stuck on a contract I'd personally prefer to have something that is new or less than a few months old since I'll have to hold onto it for 20+ months.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Lot's of new phones to check out in a few weeks. The Note 4, Moto X+1 (or X2, whatever), new Moto G, new Sony phones and phablet likely. Even new phones from Microsoft and Apple ;) .

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am waiting on the Note 4. I really like the LG G3, but I will wait for Note 4. S5 is not going to work for me since it only has 16GB. I am spoiled with my 32GB S3.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Understand that at least part of that extra storage is taken up by S-Pen software, so going to 16 on an S5 won't cost you as much as it might seem.