Recovering files from bootloop of a stock Galaxy S3

CampSoup1988

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I have a Sprint Galaxy S3 with the stock Jellybean 4.1 firmware. I have not tried rooting or installing any custom recovery on this phone. But suddenly my phone started boot looping when it gets to the Galaxy S3 screen. I am unable to get into recovery mode, but I could get into download mode. From what I could see, I should hopefully be able to recover my phone by re-flashing the stock firmware using either Odin or Kies Emergency Firmware Recovery, but from my research both methods would delete all of the files on my phone, which I would like to recover (text messages, app logs (ie chat apps), etc.) since I haven't done a Kies backup in a long time. I do see some mentions of being able to recover the files using ADB, but I am getting confused as they seem to all have the identically poorly explained instructions, in which some say that you need root access or require zip files to push to my phone, but does not tell you where to get the zip files.

I thank you in advance for any advice on how to recover the files on my phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! My understanding is that if you're flashing the same firmware, it won't wipe the data, but I'm not completely sure. Let me ask one of my colleagues.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a Sprint Galaxy S3 with the stock Jellybean 4.1 firmware. I have not tried rooting or installing any custom recovery on this phone. But suddenly my phone started boot looping when it gets to the Galaxy S3 screen. I am unable to get into recovery mode, but I could get into download mode. From what I could see, I should hopefully be able to recover my phone by re-flashing the stock firmware using either Odin or Kies Emergency Firmware Recovery, but from my research both methods would delete all of the files on my phone, which I would like to recover (text messages, app logs (ie chat apps), etc.) since I haven't done a Kies backup in a long time. I do see some mentions of being able to recover the files using ADB, but I am getting confused as they seem to all have the identically poorly explained instructions, in which some say that you need root access or require zip files to push to my phone, but does not tell you where to get the zip files.

I thank you in advance for any advice on how to recover the files on my phone.

You will need to find a stock image that is exactly what you have now. You can the use odin to flash the image on top of the current rom. Odin doesn't wipe anything. It's called dirty flashing but it only works of you flash the EXACT Rom. If you can't find a tar file then see if you can find a zip then you can install twrp and flash through there.

CampSoup1988

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
You will need to find a stock image that is exactly what you have now. You can the use odin to flash the image on top of the current rom. Odin doesn't wipe anything. It's called dirty flashing but it only works of you flash the EXACT Rom. If you can't find a tar file then see if you can find a zip then you can install twrp and flash through there.

How do I get the same exact rom? Do I get it from Samsung's website?

CampSoup1988

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
If you use Kies, I believe it should search and find the correct firmware for you.

Otherwise, you can find it here: [[Link deleted in order for me to reply]]

I believe Kies warned me that your data will be deleted. I will double check the exact wording when I get home.

Firmware upgrade and initialization
The device can be initialised to its original settings.
All settings and data will be deleted, and the latest software version will be installed.
Do you want to proceed with the firmware upgrade and initialization?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Odin would be the other option, since itguyjax8430 mentioned above that if you flash the exact same ROM via Odin, your data won't be erased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair