Yes, the Sprint HTC One has a SIM card, and, yes, it's a global roamer

somdave2005

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Yes, the Sprint HTC One has a SIM card

Based on Sprint's announcement of the Galaxy S4 today, it's not a world phone like the HTC one. That made my decision easy. :)

eps1lon3

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

Will throw up a video tomorrow ... Tried three SIMs ...

AT&T definitely didn't work. Not even an option to enter a PIN.
Had a couple old Movistar and Vodafone SIMs laying around. One immediately asked for a PIN, the other didn't. Not sure why -- haven't used many SIM-locked phones overseas.
Can anyone shed some light on that for me?

Hey Phil,

Have you called customer service to do some fancy international unlocking before you tried those SIMS?

kancherlapraneeth

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

so does this phone works straight away with international GSM SIMs without having to contact Sprint for unlocking? ( Like the newer verizon phones )

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site

Because none of Sprint's global phones have ever been that way..?
Yes they have the design and the photon where unlocked foe use over seas because they had sim cards. I had the design and all I had to do is put another sim and it works it's going to be the same with the one and the s4 they just won't work on a gsm network here I the states.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

So what is the process through Sprint where they will unlock the phone for you?

I think it will come unlocked already or if your in good standing after only a couple months you can call and ask and it will be done. Sprint usually is pretty good about that.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Now that the phone is out. Has anyone actually called Sprint regarding unlocking?

mattvalenz

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I am a Sprint Product Ambassador supporting the launch of the One and am here to help.

The device is worldmode and supports overseas int'l roaming frequencies, it does not work on GSM/HSPA/UTMS freqiencies domestically so it can't be used on ATT or TMo. It's mentioned briefly in the press release:

Sprint Newsroom | Sprint to Launch the New HTC One on April 19; Pre-Order Begins April 5

"Additionally, HTC One boasts a 4.7-inch, full-HD 1080p display, 1.7GHz quad-core processor, international roaming capabilities and Near Field Communications (NFC)."

Sprint Worldwide Care is the group you need to call to help you unlock the device.

1-888-226-7212, option 2

They should know exactly what to do. If the rep can't help you, let them know that they should have access to an internal knowledge base that has an article about how to unlock a device for international use with a 3rd party SIM. Searching the DB for some of those keywords should get them where they need to go.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Burnt Toast

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm really stupid when it comes to this stuff (international roaming) but how does that actually work? I call Sprint, get it unlocked, and then I can use a SIM in a different country to access their networks? How much will that cost me? Will I have to get an international plan for Sprint? I'm so confused. :D

I'm headed to Hong Kong and Tokyo next month and it would be useful to know this I guess. :D

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Will it work with ANY international SIM card or do we have to go through Sprint while we are overseas?

I know Sprint has some World phones but they make you go through Sprint while overseas.

COBXO3

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
When you get you phone unlocked you just get a new SIM card in the country of your choice and pop it in to use on that country's network with that country's rate.

lafester

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
they are just prepaid sims like you get here. the whole point is NOT to use sprint roaming :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

sjcdal

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

I am a Sprint Product Ambassador supporting the launch of the One and am here to help.

Sprint Worldwide Care is the group you need to call to help you unlock the device.
1-888-226-7212, option 2
they should know exactly what to do. If the rep can't help you, let them know that they should have access to an internal knowledge base that has an article about how to unlock a device for international use with a 3rd party SIM. Searching the DB for some of those keywords should get them where they need to go.

If you have any questions please let me know.
This is a major deal for me...I bought a Wildfire and had it unlocked just to have something to travel with overseas. But it of course has none of my apps etc..

Thursday, April 25, 2013, 11:49 AM
I am on the phone with them now...rep pulled up notice that the phone IS available for unlocking...but must be on the account for 90 days. I paid out of contract retail for mine, so she is checking with supervisor now to see how they get around that.....
OK... came back and again said the 90 day requirement was keeping her system from allowing her to unlock..
About to get supervisor on the line with me to try and get it done..

Thursday, April 25, 2013, 11:53 AM
Supervisor (Andrea) refused to unlock "at LEAST until it has been on the system for 90 days...and in fact usually we require that you have a new two year agreement and be 90 days into it before we will unlock." I explained I am a 13+ year sprint customer 4 lines, paid retail for this phone and it is activated on my existing contract. "I understand sir, but we are not unlocking this for at least 90 days, and might still require that you had a new 2 year agreement".
Crazy, no?

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Well if that is true than that is very very sad.

There is no reason why they should not unlock the phone right away.

Especially if you paid full price.