Another "Why should I root and use custom rom" thread + sprint question....

jaxnif

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I hate posting threads like this on forums, but I have a couple questions....

I have the sprint total protection plan, the $8 a month and what not to protect my phone. If I cracked my phone or something would rooting my phone void the warranty / would they even notice since they are just repairing hardware?? I just want to put stock or cyanogen/another rom on my phone since I really hate this htc bloatware, im not a big fan of sense. Or should I wait for the 4.3 update and just see if its worth rooting at that point? I would like to stay up to date on android and ****.

What do you think?

* Also, I heard that the sprint protection App won't work on my phone If i put on stock or anything else. And how would I revert back to the default android with sense that came with my phone?

Thanks,
Jax

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Another "Why should I root and use custom rom" thread + sprint question....

Hello jaxnif

I am pretty sure that rooting will void all warranties except for Best Buy Geek Squad Protection Plan. They could possibly notice if your phone was rooted despite a hardware problem if they send it back to the manufacturer or OEM. You don't have to root to get rid of the sense, just install a 3rd-Party launcher from the Google Play Store. As for the HTC bloatware, you can go into Settings>Application Manager (or the HTC Equivalent) and select the bloatware and clear its data and disable it. It will have almost all of its data erased and will not show up in your app carousel. If you rooted and want to go back to default HTC sense the method for un-rooting varies by phone. For my phone, the SGS4, I had to flash the stock firmware via a program called ODIN and backup and restore. The Sprint Protection app won't work on your phone if your phone is rooted, but you can install a temporary un-root app that will hide the root from apps installed on the device. Be careful, though, these un-root apps could be buggy and crash your phone.

KryspyDoughnut

- - - Updated - - -

A good third party launcher is GO-Launcher.

jaxnif

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Another "Why should I root and use custom rom" thread + sprint question....

Hello jaxnif

I am pretty sure that rooting will void all warranties except for Best Buy Geek Squad Protection Plan. They could possibly notice if your phone was rooted despite a hardware problem if they send it back to the manufacturer or OEM. You don't have to root to get rid of the sense, just install a 3rd-Party launcher from the Google Play Store. As for the HTC bloatware, you can go into Settings>Application Manager (or the HTC Equivalent) and select the bloatware and clear its data and disable it. It will have almost all of its data erased and will not show up in your app carousel. If you rooted and want to go back to default HTC sense the method for un-rooting varies by phone. For my phone, the SGS4, I had to flash the stock firmware via a program called ODIN and backup and restore. The Sprint Protection app won't work on your phone if your phone is rooted, but you can install a temporary un-root app that will hide the root from apps installed on the device. Be careful, though, these un-root apps could be buggy and crash your phone.

KryspyDoughnut

- - - Updated - - -

A good third party launcher is GO-Launcher.

Hey,
Thanks for the advice. Being me I have some responses.

- I hate the lack of settings in the action bar in with my phones, i am using power toggles but its not the same as cyanogen or stock
- Im not a big fan of launchers because i find them buggy/slow. I used apex for a bit and it would glitch between regular and the app itself, kind of like the dynamic notifications app it sometimes flashes the normal lock screen that it is covering up
- I want to be up to date on android, 4.3 etc.. no particular reason except I like to be up to date/like new features.

BlakeGates

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I think you are confusing a warranty with Sprint's Total Equipment Protection plan. If your phone is rooted and/or has a custom ROM on it, it may hinder your chances of getting it fixed for a warranty issue (the phone stops working all of a sudden, the camera doesn't work even if it's stock, etc.). The reps like to blame issues on the fact the phone is rooted.

For the Total Equipment Protection plan, which is insurance, means no matter what happens to the phone, as long as you pay a deductible to have it replaced you can get another one. Or, if it can be fixed, your insurance covers that and being rooted/custom ROM'ed doesn't matter.

Posted via Android Central App

jaxnif

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Haven't felt the need to root quite yet, but it is tempting.

Mostly just from playing around with my friends nexus phones and suck I personally like it a bit more. And If i root i can get updates faster, like 4.3. Which is why i regret getting the One, i was going to get the nexus 4 or the motox...

On a side note, does anyone know of a good app for settings within the android drop down menu? similar to the galaxy line of phones, because i really like the big buttons for settings and that you can scroll through them, etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance