wifi won't turn off with KitKat?

jmdeng

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
With the 4.4.2 update, I noticed something odd today.

Normally, I have wifi turned on. I was within range of a wifi network that requires sign in (clicking through a web page). The phone naturally found it and connected. I didn't want to connect as I was happy on my 3G (heh) connection and so I tried to turn off wifi by clicking on the wifi icon in the pull down menu.

The wifi icon started to pulse, then turned off. Then a second later, it turned back on. Surprised, I tried to turn it off again. Same graphics. Pulse off, pulse back on. I even tried to click on the Wifi settings (the lower bar of the icon) and then click the ON switch to OFF, but again, it only went off briefly before turning back on again.

Eventually, I gave up and just clicked on "Forget" for the network in question and after that I wasn't bothered (but I don't recall if wifi stayed on or not).

I later tested this on my home network. However, when I turned of the wifi network, all I got was the pulse to off, but no rebirth. The only theory I have is this is isolated to networks that have a sign in requirement. My home one is just key protected.

Has anyone else experienced this since the update?

Thanks

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Kinda pi$$ing me off too. Mine turns off normally but as soon as I don't have a 3g signal it auto turns on WiFi again. This also has an adverse effect on my battery life.

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

davidtm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Sprint's 4.4.2 update included a connections optimizer app which "helpfully" turns on Wi-Fi periodically to find an available network to decrease your data usage. I happened to find it (though I cannot now) to turn it off, as I didn't want it to burn up any battery trying to connect to any network it might find.

UPDATE: I found it, thanks to the following link. It's in Settings > Mobile data > Automatic Connections

This link provides some good pro/con info:
http://www.pocketables.com/2013/02/sprint-connections-optimizer-friend-or-foe.html

Last edited:

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Sprint's 4.4.2 update included a connections optimizer app which "helpfully" turns on Wi-Fi periodically to find an available network to decrease your data usage. I happened to find it (though I cannot now) to turn it off, as I didn't want it to burn up any battery trying to connect to any network it might find.

UPDATE: I found it, thanks to the following link. It's in Settings > Mobile data > Automatic Connections

This link provides some good pro/con info:
http://www.pocketables.com/2013/02/sprint-connections-optimizer-friend-or-foe.html

Ya...I noticed the Connections Optimizer downloaded during the installation of Kit-Kat on my phone. I remember it from my HTC EVO and I disliked it then. I gave this version a couple of days, and found that I hated it too. I quickly got a friend at work to help me to disable it.

Sent from my RCT6378W2

AlexKarros

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Bingo this works !!!!!
Too bad I went to Sprint b4 I read this
They reset my HTC One....big mistake
And it still didn't solve the problem
Thank you

shadowmere813

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a unlocked AT&T HTC One that suddenly started this nonsense with the automatically turning on wifi. I dont see a optimizer on this model but if anyone knows how to make it stop that would be great. I have the HTC One M7 model not the M8. I'm pretty sure it does not have the kit kat update on it if that helps. Thanks

Belhade

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Whoa...this looks like my problem, too. I drive around a lot and any time I hit an open network (I have Optimum Online's wifi) it will connect, even if I drive out of range within a minute or two. Hopefully this will help, though I question its wording; it says "Automatically connect to best network" but I hope it will switch to 4G when it can...

Jason Wanye

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
For the Sprint HTC one variant go to settings-apps- then swipe to the left and pass system running apps- all apps ,scroll down to Sprint connections optimizer and then click (DISABLE) ----- PROBLEM SOLVED, TRUST AND BELIEVE THIS WILL save YOUR BATTERY ...ANY QUESTIONS HMU IM HAPPY TO HELP IN ANY WAY I CAN

Posted via MY HTC ONE!!

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
For the Sprint HTC one variant go to settings-apps- then swipe to the left and pass system running apps- all apps ,scroll down to Sprint connections optimizer and then click (DISABLE) ----- PROBLEM SOLVED, TRUST AND BELIEVE THIS WILL save YOUR BATTERY ...ANY QUESTIONS HMU IM HAPPY TO HELP IN ANY WAY I CAN

Posted via MY HTC ONE!!
With the M8 that I got in April, I had to have TiBu freeze the Sprint Connections app...because when I disabled it, the way you've suggested it, it simply re-enabled itself.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20