RUMOR? Echo getting 2.3 on August 1st!

n8littlefield

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if this helps others, but here's how I handled mine...

I called today - told them again what I was going through and that I couldn't get to their repair shop (they were over 30 miles away which meant I couldn't get there until Sat). They signed me up for insurance ($8) and credited me back the $8, and are shipping me a new phone.

The only bad part is the Echo is back ordered and may take up to a week to arrive...

Once all this is done I'll be calling Sprint looking for a service credit for this mess. I'm back to my Hero for now - thank god I had a few extra phones on hand.

jasonkc25

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have to wonder, if the phone is back ordered is that because:
A. It's more popular than we realize
or
B. They aren't very popular and so there is less stock of them

n8littlefield

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
As much as I love(d) my phone - I'm going to go with the 2nd option...

I will say this, being back to my Hero stinks - but it does get better reception from my office and the Sense widgets are nice to have back for the time being.

Dre89

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
According to the sprint community forums, they have officially pulled the update and Kyocera and Sprint are working on a fix.

So the question is, when a fix is made, who's gonna jump on it?

Me of course. I'm always up for jumping on live grenades.

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I can still download it but should I? I am on my 2nd echo and it is completely factory, haven't rooted it or done anything to it yet. Im scared to do it.

Xoom: Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked at 1.4, and on Tiamat 2.0 Manta Ray.

Kyocera Echo: Rooted and Awesome.
Source Code Released!!

bobsterco

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing you can do but manually bring everything back. However, if you root, you can use titanium backup. This will backup all your apps (and settings). If you pay for the full app, then you can run a batch process that will then restore everything. I had my phone wiped by Sprint, and within 5-10 minutes my phone was back up and running just as I had left it.
J
z4root never completed for me, then I got cold feet.

No root, so no full backup.

I have heard stories of rooting being used by Sprint as an excuse to deny service / repair / TEP claims. Having root to be able to get complete restore is worthy of consideration.

But, if they will not give me a new unit to solve a problem, I am not sure I would have a need to restore...

Dre89

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I can still download it but should I? I am on my 2nd echo and it is completely factory, haven't rooted it or done anything to it yet. Im scared to do it.

Kyocera Echo: Rooted and Awesome.
Source Code Released!!

If you want to pull that pin then go ahead, but I wouldn't recommend it. OR you could download it and pull it without updating, I'd like to get a hold of the file.

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded it but haven't installed it. Is it going to install it automatically next time I turn phone off or do I still have control of that?

Kyocera Echo: Waiting for 2.3 fix.
Source Code Released!!

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Now that I think about it, I ended up getting insurance on my replacement. I could try it again and get it replaced hassle free next time, assuming it doesn't work.

Source Code Released!!

jasonkc25

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
z4root never completed for me, then I got cold feet.

No root, so no full backup.

I have heard stories of rooting being used by Sprint as an excuse to deny service / repair / TEP claims. Having root to be able to get complete restore is worthy of consideration.

But, if they will not give me a new unit to solve a problem, I am not sure I would have a need to restore...
Yeah, they might hassle you if they discover it's rooted. Best thing to do is unroot, then uninstall the z4root app and any other apps that require root (such as Titanium Backup). Otherwise, they can't really tell that you have rooted your phone. And if your phone is bricked, there is absolutely no way of them knowing that it was rooted.

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I just took plunge with update again. It finished completly and restarted normally. I went to check version and what not and I'm still 2.2.1. What's up with that?

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk

n8littlefield

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering, my replacement is on back order - anyone have any experience with Sprint to know how long I should reasonably expect to wait and at what point I can try to demand they give me a phone in store or a different model under their insurance?

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how long it will take but it shouldn't be a hassle. These phones are being bricked by an official update, make sure they know that, and there shouldn't be any problems.

Source Code Released!!

Dre89

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how long it will take but it shouldn't be a hassle. These phones are being bricked by an official update, make sure they know that, and there shouldn't be any problems.

Source Code Released!!

You would think but it all depends on the person you deal with. It took about a hour and a half for mine to be fixed, but I've read a few comments about techs who just say you have to pay for a replacement which is crap, but not a first with in store sprint people.

TheNexxuvas

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I was able to fix it myself, but YMMV. It does require a corporate Sprint Tech to use a tool at a Full Service Location. Give it a try

Thanks,

Last edited:

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Castorshells, that wasn't the Android update. That was the firmware update from last June.

Also a mod on the Sprint forum posted an email from one of the shop techs. Said update bricked HIS phone, but the Triage Laptop had a tool which could fix it. Something about "Wire Update" menu and a "tiny checkbox you may not notice". He claimed this recovery method brought the phone to pre-update functionality, with no lost data. And so the mod dutifully reposted it.

TheNexxuvas

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes, w/o going into company confidential details, techs have a tool we can use.

At least, let a tech give it a try. Is easy, quick, and could have you up in running in a very short time. Again, YMMV, but it's worth a shot.

It worked for me personally, but I know what I'm doing and am not your average tech.

Dre89

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, w/o going into company confidential details, techs have a tool we can use.

At least, let a tech give it a try. Is easy, quick, and could have you up in running in a very short time. Again, YMMV, but it's worth a shot.

It worked for me personally, but I know what I'm doing and am not your average tech.

Yeah the guy who fixed mine said something about a tool. I'd like to get a hold of that piece of software personally :cool: