G2 pre-order is up. A few odd things I noticed on Sprint page.

mjnoles1

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
1) WiFi symbol is grayed out and has"red" X over the grayed WiFi logo under "Key Features". Meaning, if one would go strictly off the Sprint page, then it would mean the Sprint version of the G2 does not offer WiFI.
http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...&flow=AAL&planSKUId=null&tabId=dt_phones&ptn=

2) With all the talk about Tri-band and this will be the first Sprint phone to offer Tri-band. There is no mention at all of Tri-Band on the Sprint website. Was this just a rumor that never came to be? Will this phone in fact not have Tri-band?

Please advise. As before I make my order, I need to know the answers to the above.

Thank you.

mjnoles1

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Mav,

Thank you for the response, but, how are you so certain this phone does have Tri-band? The link you provided is over a month old. Could it just be another rumor? I see no mention of tri-band on Sprint.com. Wouldn't this be listed on Sprints website if it was true, since, I believe this would be a selling point.

Also, who are you reaching out to in regard to the Wifi?

Please update all of us once you get some answers.

Thanks.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
The normal everyday, mild-mannered guy on the street is not going to know or care about it being Tri-Band which is why Sprint will most likely not use that term in their G2 info.
The will probably mention the LTE connectivity being better, etc.

This guy has an unactivated Sprint G2 and has confirmed all 3 bands: xda-developers - View Single Post - So i have the sprint version......

Still checking the WiFi thing. Checking with XDA and Community Blog List - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates
Stay tuned.

Mav. :cool:

cal777flyer

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I love the G2 and I am pretty sure I will end up getting it, but really Sprint?

Let me make sure I have this straight...
We pay now, and don't get the phone until November 8th, maybe? Here is a quote from their site...

"Shipping

We’ll do our best to get it to you by Friday, November 8. During the pre-order period, we will send you a shipping email and tracking number."

Not only that, but it will cost the same as launch day at the store, you pay the same tax (on the full price of the phone, not the 199.99), and you still pay the same 36 dollar activation fee.
What exactly is the DEAL here? The free case? Please, keep it.
I will wait and walk in to my local store on launch day, I highly doubt they will sell out.
Or, I might buy it from wirefly and save on the activation fee and tax..

slideways

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I love the G2 and I am pretty sure I will end up getting it, but really Sprint?

Let me make sure I have this straight...
We pay now, and don't get the phone until November 8th, maybe? Here is a quote from their site...

"Shipping

We’ll do our best to get it to you by Friday, November 8. During the pre-order period, we will send you a shipping email and tracking number."

Not only that, but it will cost the same as launch day at the store, you pay the same tax (on the full price of the phone, not the 199.99), and you still pay the same 36 dollar activation fee.
What exactly is the DEAL here? The free case? Please, keep it.
I will wait and walk in to my local store on launch day, I highly doubt they will sell out.
Or, I might buy it from wirefly and save on the activation fee and tax..

Yup...my thoughts too. What incentive is there for me to pre-order besides a bad case? Pretty ticked that new customers can get it for $99!

This phone along with the terrible service that STL has had lately is almost enough to make me seek another provider after 10+ years.

cal777flyer

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yup...my thoughts too. What incentive is there for me to pre-order besides a bad case? Pretty ticked that new customers can get it for $99!

This phone along with the terrible service that STL has had lately is almost enough to make me seek another provider after 10+ years.

I am with you. My contract is already up, my son's contract is up in one month, and my wife's is up in 3 months. I live in San Diego, the 8th largest city in the U.S. and we still don't have 4G. I am seriously considering just waiting and leaving Sprint all together.

Overstew

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I am with you. My contract is already up, my son's contract is up in one month, and my wife's is up in 3 months. I live in San Diego, the 8th largest city in the U.S. and we still don't have 4G. I am seriously considering just waiting and leaving Sprint all together.

Best buy has it for $99 on upgrade and you get a $50 best buy gift card.

Gift card only available online.

cal777flyer

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Best buy has it for $99 on upgrade and you get a $50 best buy gift card.

Gift card only available online.

Good find, thanks for sharing. Now that is a pre-order that makes sense. At least they are giving you a better deal than just walking in on launch day. I'm still debating letting our contracts expire and leaving Sprint.

Bryan Jenkins1982

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Mav,

Thank you for the response, but, how are you so certain this phone does have Tri-band? The link you provided is over a month old. Could it just be another rumor? I see no mention of tri-band on Sprint.com. Wouldn't this be listed on Sprints website if it was true, since, I believe this would be a selling point.

Also, who are you reaching out to in regard to the Wifi?

Please update all of us once you get some answers.

Thanks.

I've had the G2 activated on Sprint for 10 days, definitely tri-band capable, but I dont think people realize, Sprint won't operate on 3 bands until 2014, after they convert the old Nextel 800mhtz hardware.

Posted via Android Central App

Bryan Jenkins1982

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

New customers can get it for $99 by bringing their number from another carrier, not just the G2, any smartphone.

Not saying I agree, but they've had that promotion for awhile

Posted via Android Central App

recoveringlefty

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Good info. Thanks.

Yes, I don't believe LTE band 26 (800mhz) is being deployed anywhere at the moment, but some markets should start seeing it soon. LTE band 41 however, is active in some markets, like Chicago. I was under the impression that the G2, out of the box, could only pick up LTE band 25 (1900mhz). How did you get dual band at this point?

Also, not having SVDO and SVLTE might be a bummer. Do you know what happens if, say, I'm driving along, using my GPS for directions somewhere and I get a phone call? Will the GPS pick up and continue from the point where I finished my phone call?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX