1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Sprint LG G2, and email, Please Help?

Hello All,

I sure hope someone can help. Kinda embarrassing to have to ask, and yep, reaching out to Sprint Users.

I am new to the G2, and have been a Blackberry user for the last five years, which I always justified because of my business use and needs from my device.

I was told the android system, and the G2, was a good business choice for an upgrade from a blackberry, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should have stuck with a Blackberry.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good email app or program that will work on the G2? I just experienced the embarrassment of going to business meeting with fellow associates and some clients, where all were watching, as some of my latest email communication from my new G2 (as well as other peoples) where being presented to a large group of people on a slide show for all to see, and as far as mine go from my G2, it looked like a moron had written the emails...........My mistake for not first reviewing my email on a large monitor, but was in a pinch for time, and was trusting the G2 email app.

This is kinda embarrassing for the G2, and the android OS, to have a native email program that is reminiscent of early 1980's technology. Yeah, that's how bad it is.

Here's what I'm looking for and what's needed, (btw was basic to all blackberrys).

> > >Something that will allow the G2 user to compose an email where the user can choose from a good selection of different fonts, and choose several different sizes of fonts, at a minimum. > > > So that when someone receives it, and views it on a typical office monitor, it doesn't look like it was composed by someone who knows nothing about good communication and presentation... ..... maybe a stand alone Application made for Android? preferably something compatible with POP and/or IMAP ? but please no suggestions for some Web-Mail in any form.

Is that asking too much of LG/Android, geeez? If Blackberry was able to do it, shouldn't Android be able to do something similar as a minimum for their customers?

Who in business wants to receive an email from the native email application that comes with the G2?...anyone.....anyone?

Please help.......can anyone provide some options that will allow a business G2 user to compose basic, decent emails, that when received by someone who is reading them on basic office desktop monitors they don't look like something that originated in the early 1980's (when programmers where just figuring out how to create scalable fonts and providing basic communication options for email).

... ... ... there must be some good business options out there for all G2 users that are in business, and that care about how their email communication comes across to the receiver.

Sorry for the rant, but my brief initial search at Google Play has turned up crap.

I doubt I'm alone on this issue.

Thanks all in advance. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

kindest regards,

TahoeRunner

01/10/2014 at 1:52am PST
    Last edited by Tahoe-Runner; 01-10-2014 at 05:45 AM.

Default Re: Sprint LG G2, and email, Please Help?

Having not ever used the blackberry other than to troubleshoot for others, I cannot speak to its capabilities...However, I sympathize with your frustration. This is not a lg g2 issue. The g2 uses the default android email client...you will find it on most android clients. But, to get to the point, I looked around quite a bit and have settled on aqua mail. There is a free and premium version, sine I hate advertising signatures I chose the premium. You can adjust the fonts, though you have to configure it as it is not the default. It supports pop and IMAP. I am not sure how the blackberry client works, but the aquamail client support both RTF (with font size adjustment) and basic text. It does not allow different fonts, but truthfully, changing fonts In an email is always dangerous as you never know what the host computer will have. When unsure always use plain text.
    Thanked by:

Hmm, the email client has everything you ask for except multiple fonts. You can change size, foreground color, background color, strikeout, underline, bold, italics, bullets, and numbered lists.

Honestly, I used to use a BlackBerry and my emails looked way worse than I can do on my G2. But then again, I didn't need to go all out either, maybe the client supported everything you say, but on that tiny screen simple text was good enough.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hello gerryf19,

Thanks for your info about Aquamail, much appreciated.

I've shot off an email to Aquamail's general support email asking if the program included a "spell checker", as well as does it have the ability to sync and function with "Cloud Print"....haven't received a response from them yet.

A bummer about not being able to select different font's.......In the business world, including mine, the standard for probably most efficient offices is no doubt Microsoft Office and it's variants. Of course when creating email in Outlook, you have every option in the world. And so at desktops that's one thing, but on the go with a mobile device, well, I've found since the inception of email for mobile devices, when possible use whatever you would typically use if sitting at desktop. That is something Blackberry did allow for as part of all their native email clients on all their phones, but then again BB catered to the business world first, and the average user second. Apparently they understood that when someone is composing heavy email all day long in an office, then heads out on the road, they don't want some vanilla, plane jane font to represent their communication. Most in business seem to agree I find.

And so, now I'm going to check out Maildroid as some have suggested.......their Pro version is $17.95, but if it allows for various fonts, sizes, and all the other good stuff you note about Aquamail, then it will be worth it....but if not, Aquamail just may be my ticket.

Having said that, I really appreciate your info gerryf19. You and others really make this forum good. And I may just sign up for Aqua's Pro version. I like you can't put up with advertising.

PS - Did you ever check out Maildroid, and if so what'd you think?

kindest regards,

TahoeRunner
    01/10/2014, at 8:35pm PST
    Last edited by Tahoe-Runner; 01-10-2014 at 11:11 PM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hi Mikey47,

Thanks for your info, I appreciate your comments.

As I was just saying in my response to gerryf19, besides Aquamail being a serious option, someone else suggested I check out Maildroid. If it has the ability to "choose different fonts", with all the other stuff that Aquamail offers, then I'll go with Maildroid.

Doesn't make sense to me to create emails all day long at the office, or on my laptop when traveling, and then when I hit my G2, it's plain text or very basic at the least.

With the business I've done the last 20 years, it's all about a unified presentation and anything less than what Outlook offers is a step backwards.

As I was saying in my original post, it was embarrassing to see several of my emails at a recent presentation when I've been conditioned over the last 5 years with Blackberry to be right up there with the best of them, and now with the G2 looking like I simply emailed a bunch of extended drawn out text messages.

That don't cut it.

And so I'll check out Maildroid. I like all you post about Aqua, except the lack of various scalable fonts to choose from.

But it's nice to have options to choose from, and thank you for your info, that makes all the difference. I was afraid I'd get stuck with the crap native email that comes stock with the G2.

PS - Did you ever have a chance to check out Maildroid? Any thought about it if you have?

best regards,

TahoeRunner
    01/10/2014 at 8:55pm PST
    Last edited by Tahoe-Runner; 01-10-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Check out Touchdown email client.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks,

Much appreciated, I'll check out Touchdown email and see.

best,

TahoeRunner
    01/11/2014 at 12:59pm PST