1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

Default Planning on picking a G2 up tomorrow, any reason not to?

So I've been doing the research, been looking at it for awhile. I got a text from sprint the other day basically saying spark was going to be lit up soon in my area and here are the 3 models that are tri-band (which I knew the G2 was) I currently have the note 2. My signal here is west michigan is all over the place, LTE, yeah we have it but its sporadic on the N2. Here are my reasons for switching to the G2:

- 95% of the screen with less bulk
    - from everything I've read the radios are generally far better than samsung's
    - excellent battery life (which I have on the N2)
    - brighter better screen with higher resolution
    - Snapdragon 800 (the exynos in my N2 feels like a single core at times even overclocked)
    - no more touchwiz
    - potential Tri-band

What I'm losing:
    - external SD card
    - a little bigger screen
    - Horrible reception

Is there anything I'm missing? Has anybody else came from the Note 2 to the G2? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
    Master of Time and Space

Default Re: Planning on picking a G2 up tomorrow, any reason not to?

I did not have the Note 2. I came from the Samsung Galaxy Nexus to the G2 and it is the best phone I have had to this point.
    All of your pros are correct. The Tri-Band is a certainty. It has the ability to use all three LTE bands once they are active.
    Can't say anything about your reception. Are you speaking of call quality or data?
    I am down here in the Atlanta Metro Area have had problems with neither, but each market is different depending on the towers being upgraded in your area.

My advice is to get it unless you have the patience to wait for the minor upgrade to the G2 Pro or the G3 in May.

"With two phones coming out within such a short period, LG is only adding a few new features to the G2 Pro, and saving the real upgrades for its next flagship release, the LG G3. Both phones are reported to have HD display, although the Pro misses out on the 2K Quad HD (QHD) resolution that the G3 will be equipped with, instead sporting a 1080p resolution screen, according to Trusted Reviews. The screen size for the LG G2 Pro is reportedly six inches, on the verge of being a phablet, while the G3 will only see a small increase in size, from 5.2 inches to 5.5 inches.

Both phones are expected to run on Android KitKat and have upgraded internals, including 3 GB of RAM and a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 CPU on the Pro and the G3 expected to pack the powerful Odin Octa-Core CPU. Tech Radar reports that biometrics may also be a feature on the new phones, with fingerprint scanning a possibility for both the LG G2 Pro and the G3."

Just my $.02

Mav.
    We can dance if we want to. We can leave your friends behind. 'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance, well they're no friends of mine.
    Thanked by:

I got my phone on upgrade for $49 and thats only cause my Amazon order wouldnt go thru for some weird reason when they had it priced for $.01. At either price the value this phone has is un-matched. The UI for me leaves a lil to be desired. Mostly cause its a straight clone of TW and I was coming form two past HTC devices. The lack of SD card sucks but 32gb(22 of which is usable) is doable and almost matches what I had on my Evo LTE with 16gb internal and and a 16gb SD card. I could've held out and waited for the M8 or S5 but justifying paying their inevitable price difference just made no Sense(see what i did there....lol)

Good news, as a Sprint user who had the Note 2 and now uses a G2 (with a run on an HTC One in between) and it is a great step up and a very nice transition.

The best part about this switch is going from that bulky monster that is TouchWiz and going to an OS that isn't full of junk, but then again isn't completely barren as stock Android.
    Knock-On and the RearKey placement will be a strange change at first, but you will love it after a few days and not be sure how you did without it in the past.

The fluidity of the OS combined with the hardware (processor, RAM, etc) makes for great performance, either simply sliding between home screens or playing some of the most graphic-intensive games available in the Play Store.

TriBand capability should be the instantwin feature of moving over for you.

Obviously no S-Pen but did you really use it anyways?
    And you'll notice Samsung is really the only one left using SD card slots, as its not as neccesary anymore (especially with us on Sprint and our unlimited data for cloud storage)

Obviously I live in a different area but I've noticed my reception on my G2 to be much better than my Samsung or my HTC.

Hope this helps!
    Ryan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

Quote Originally Posted by VW Maverick View Post
    I did not have the Note 2. I came from the Samsung Galaxy Nexus to the G2 and it is the best phone I have had to this point.
    All of your pros are correct. The Tri-Band is a certainty. It has the ability to use all three LTE bands once they are active.
    Can't say anything about your reception. Are you speaking of call quality or data?
    I am down here in the Atlanta Metro Area have had problems with neither, but each market is different depending on the towers being upgraded in your area.

My advice is to get it unless you have the patience to wait for the minor upgrade to the G2 Pro or the G3 in May.

"With two phones coming out within such a short period, LG is only adding a few new features to the G2 Pro, and saving the real upgrades for its next flagship release, the LG G3. Both phones are reported to have HD display, although the Pro misses out on the 2K Quad HD (QHD) resolution that the G3 will be equipped with, instead sporting a 1080p resolution screen, according to Trusted Reviews. The screen size for the LG G2 Pro is reportedly six inches, on the verge of being a phablet, while the G3 will only see a small increase in size, from 5.2 inches to 5.5 inches.

Both phones are expected to run on Android KitKat and have upgraded internals, including 3 GB of RAM and a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 CPU on the Pro and the G3 expected to pack the powerful Odin Octa-Core CPU. Tech Radar reports that biometrics may also be a feature on the new phones, with fingerprint scanning a possibility for both the LG G2 Pro and the G3."

Just my $.02

Mav.
    My note 2 constantly drops signal both data and voice.

They sound awesome, I'm getting the G2 for cheap though so it's hard to turn down. However I will be eligible for an upgrade in September so I may consider it then. Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtank View Post
    I got my phone on upgrade for $49 and thats only cause my Amazon order wouldnt go thru for some weird reason when they had it priced for $.01. At either price the value this phone has is un-matched. The UI for me leaves a lil to be desired. Mostly cause its a straight clone of TW and I was coming form two past HTC devices. The lack of SD card sucks but 32gb(22 of which is usable) is doable and almost matches what I had on my Evo LTE with 16gb internal and and a 16gb SD card. I could've held out and waited for the M8 or S5 but justifying paying their inevitable price difference just made no Sense(see what i did there....lol)
    Yeah I'll miss my 64 gb SD card, but I suppose if I keep all the stuff I don't need regularly off the phone and in the cloud I'll be fine.

Yeah the price I'm getting it for is a steal so it's hard to resist.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmtech View Post
    Good news, as a Sprint user who had the Note 2 and now uses a G2 (with a run on an HTC One in between) and it is a great step up and a very nice transition.

The best part about this switch is going from that bulky monster that is TouchWiz and going to an OS that isn't full of junk, but then again isn't completely barren as stock Android.
    Knock-On and the RearKey placement will be a strange change at first, but you will love it after a few days and not be sure how you did without it in the past.

The fluidity of the OS combined with the hardware (processor, RAM, etc) makes for great performance, either simply sliding between home screens or playing some of the most graphic-intensive games available in the Play Store.

TriBand capability should be the instantwin feature of moving over for you.

Obviously no S-Pen but did you really use it anyways?
    And you'll notice Samsung is really the only one left using SD card slots, as its not as neccesary anymore (especially with us on Sprint and our unlimited data for cloud storage)

Obviously I live in a different area but I've noticed my reception on my G2 to be much better than my Samsung or my HTC.

Hope this helps!
    Ryan
    Great input, I really appreciate it. And no I rarely ever have used the spen.

Quote Originally Posted by Theot View Post
    I got a text from sprint the other day basically saying spark was going to be lit up soon in my area...
    Just want you to be aware, it may not be "spark" that is being lit up. I would be very surprised if Western Michigan is going to be getting spark anytime soon. They are concentrating on the 100 biggest cities first. Eastern Michigan (as in Detroit) maybe but certainly not western Michigan, unless there is a metropolis there I am forgetting.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Just want you to be aware, it may not be "spark" that is being lit up. I would be very surprised if Western Michigan is going to be getting spark anytime soon. They are concentrating on the 100 biggest cities first. Eastern Michigan (as in Detroit) maybe but certainly not western Michigan, unless there is a metropolis there I am forgetting.

Yeah I know. Appreciate it. If I get a little better signal and service with the nice spec bump I'll still be happy. Plus I have a 6 month old router with 802.11 AC I'm dying to use it with. The wifi performance on this note 2 is dreadful at times.

Lansing is getting spark this week they said

Tapatalked from my LG-G2

Quote Originally Posted by MWSlim View Post
    Lansing is getting spark this week they said

Tapatalked from my LG-G2
    Technically that would be central Michigan. ;-)

But wow, where did you see this?

Thanked by:
    MWSlim 

Technically that would be central Michigan. ;-)

But wow, where did you see this?

My brother lives in lansing and has been having huge signal issues. He got a call from sprint yesterday and the told him spark would be ready this week.

Tapatalked from my LG-G2

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This might not be important for everyone, but you can't talk/surf on the tri-band phones on Sprint, including the G2.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    This might not be important for everyone, but you can't talk/surf on the tri-band phones on Sprint, including the G2.
    Yeah I knew about it but it's definitely worth noting.

I live near Port Huron MI. I hope spark spreads faster then wimax did lol

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post

it has to, or sprint is going to go bye bye.

They are updating the optimus g to the g pro not the g2

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post

Yeah I hope so too

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Theot View Post
    So I've been doing the research, been looking at it for awhile. I got a text from sprint the other day basically saying spark was going to be lit up soon in my area and here are the 3 models that are tri-band (which I knew the G2 was) I currently have the note 2. My signal here is west michigan is all over the place, LTE, yeah we have it but its sporadic on the N2. Here are my reasons for switching to the G2:

- 95% of the screen with less bulk
    - from everything I've read the radios are generally far better than samsung's
    - excellent battery life (which I have on the N2)
    - brighter better screen with higher resolution
    - Snapdragon 800 (the exynos in my N2 feels like a single core at times even overclocked)
    - no more touchwiz
    - potential Tri-band

What I'm losing:
    - external SD card
    - a little bigger screen
    - Horrible reception

Is there anything I'm missing? Has anybody else came from the Note 2 to the G2? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
    Just make sure you're in an area that the eCSFB is upgraded or you won't be able to use LTE.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

Quote Originally Posted by moonoverparma00 View Post
    Just make sure you're in an area that the eCSFB is upgraded or you won't be able to use LTE.

what is that and how do I find that out?